Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for giggles, I ordered a replacement air oil separator. When it arrived, I was surprised at the plumbing when I got it.
20201202_161829[1].jpg

There's a tube coming off of the bottom of the AOS that's going to require removal of accessories to access. This would mean that cleaning the AOS is dissimilar to the NGEN instructions for the 500's AOS.

In lieu of that type of carnage, I'm just going to replace the PCV valve and see what happens (my 124 has about 38k miles, and it's chugging oil like a frat boy).

Removal of the old one required undoing the clamp around the one hose, followed with using a 23mm socket to back out the old PCV valve. I also detached that one hose with that blue clip to get a pair of pincers to undo the old clip.

20201202_161727[1].jpg

In the interim, I have cannibalized the new AOS of its PCV valve, inserting it into the existing AOS hand tight, followed by finishing it with the 23mm socket.

Additionally I ended up ordering Mopar # 4893073AA from Rock Auto. Based on the markings on the side of the valve I removed, it matches that from a 2016 Jeep Renegade with the 1.4L turbo.

To secure the hose to the PCV valve body, I ended up getting a clip kit and tool from Amazon:

20201202_162001[1].jpg

I used the 15.3-18.5mm clamp.

Reactions: NellyNel 1TWO4

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth AT
64 Posts
Let me know how this goes for you. I bought mine at 39k miles and Im at 41k now. Been having excessive oil blowby and was curious if replacing that valve would help fix it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I took the AOS off to get the valve cover off to replace some leaky spark plug tube seals. Getting it back on was a PITA - the oil return tube out the bottom is just about impossible to reclamp without some major additional part removal. The rubber tube is currently sitting on mine unclamped. Luckily, it doesn't appear to be under any significant pressure so it's stayed on with friction alone and - thus far - no leaks.

The AOS on the 500 is a much more service friendly design but I guess there's not enough clearance between the engine and the hood in the 124 to do it that way on our cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the AOS off to get the valve cover off to replace some leaky spark plug tube seals. Getting it back on was a PITA - the oil return tube out the bottom is just about impossible to reclamp without some major additional part removal. The rubber tube is currently sitting on mine unclamped. Luckily, it doesn't appear to be under any significant pressure so it's stayed on with friction alone and - thus far - no leaks.

The AOS on the 500 is a much more service friendly design but I guess there's not enough clearance between the engine and the hood in the 124 to do it that way on our cars.
The packaging in the engine compartment is akin to a Tetris game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts