Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the walk-away lock function turned on so if I shut off the engine, exit, shut the door and walk away from the car with the keyfob in my pocket it will lock the doors.

I want this to work because keyless ignition and entry is pointless if I have to take the fob out when I leave the car to lock the doors...

This feature works properly as long as I ONLY walk away from the car. I hear one beep to warn that the keyfob has left the car, and as I walk away a second beep is performed by the car as well as a clicking sound of the door solenoids locking.

No issues there...

... except if I open the trunk.

If I shut off the car, get out with the keyfob and close the door I hear that first beep.

Then I make my way to the back of the car and push the trunk open button, the trunk opens.

I close the trunk and walk away BUT THE DOORS DON'T LOCK.

But wait - there's more: SOMETIMES, it will lock the doors after I close the trunk - I hear the second beep and the yellow signal lamps manifest with the doors locking solenoid sound. It only manifests the lights if I open the trunk.

What am I doing wrong?

I can't see any extra or missing steps for when the car locks vs when it doesn't lock. (except the trunk.)

I noticed this first when I used the button in the car to open the trunk this one time, and the doors didn't lock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only had my Abarth for about a week now, but I noticed the same issue. To avoid the issue, I walk to the rear of the car and wait for the double beep to indicate the doors locked and then I open the trunk. It seems to only take a few seconds, and as long as I remember to open the trunk after the double beep I haven't had an issue with the doors not locking as of yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't use the auto locking mechanism, but I don't have to take the key fob out of my pocket to lock the doors. I just push the black button on the door handle. That locks the doors. I then go and open the trunk (or I pressed the trunk release button in the car). When I close the trunk, the lights flash, and the doors remain locked.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Exactly. No need to take the key fob out even with the walkway feature disabled.

I don't use the auto locking mechanism, but I don't have to take the key fob out of my pocket to lock the doors. I just push the black button on the door handle. That locks the doors. I then go and open the trunk (or I pressed the trunk release button in the car). When I close the trunk, the lights flash, and the doors remain locked.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Be sure two beeps before opening trunk and 100% reliable.

Reactions: Lord_GalAthon

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the exact same issue. It's most annoying when I walk around the car to the passenger side to get my backpack, or anything, the car has locked already. Other times, I get out and walk away and it won't lock. I'm now in the habit of pressing the black button on the handle when I exit the car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the exact same issue. It's most annoying when I walk around the car to the passenger side to get my backpack, or anything, the car has locked already. Other times, I get out and walk away and it won't lock. I'm now in the habit of pressing the black button on the handle when I exit the car.
Yeah, I have several keyless cars so I use to touching the a spot on the handle. I would like the walk away feature if it had a timer that locked, say after 5-15 minutes. Now it's just a PITA so I have it turned off.

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
476 Posts
if i have a passenger in the car who is slower to get out and i have already exited and walked beyond the front or rear of the car before the passage door is closed the walkaway lock feature does not happen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be sure two beeps before opening trunk and 100% reliable.
YES! Of course. I tested it last night and this morning - if I get out of the car and walk to about 10ft away the second beep comes and locks the doors. Then I go to the trunk and when I close the trunk the car remains locked.

Thanks! That's what I was missing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've documented it in video because a lady on a Facebook group (weird people on facebook...) was being obstinate about ALL cars built in the last decade always automatically locking the doors when you walked away.

Like a Nissan Micra or a Mitsubishi Mirage will auto lock...

Anyhow, she's a car expert I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts