Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Greg, I am digressing from the thread, but how is your flying going along these days? I am sure happy to be retired.
Ironically, the ACMI airlines are doing just fine. My flying is going pretty well, no real changes as a result of all of this.

Greg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ironically, the ACMI airlines are doing just fine. My flying is going pretty well, no real changes as a result of all of this.

Greg
I thought so, but my airline as well as all others are in the tank as you know. major furloughs coming. Glad you are doing well and keeping our little cars running

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Pretty fun day here. After about three weeks of testing and driving on the stock tune it was time to flash on something with a bit more boost. Driving and testing on the stock tune during the break in period revealed quite a bit. The engine is behaving about as expected. The lower compression isn't hurting power too much (power is still way above stock due to the other upgrades). The good news is that power keeps climbing all the way to the stock redline of 6500 rpm. On the stock engine power really starts to drop off after about 5500, historically we have worked around that with tuning, but now, even before tuning, power keeps climbing, so that's great news. It means that the head work and porting of the manifold and turbo are effective. That's really the most important take away here, the stuff we did to improve flow worked, how well it's going to work at very high demand, we don't know yet, but I think it will be good.

Toby and Brandon flashed on Phase 3. I only got to drive it briefly but it runs beautifully with this tune, at least so far. Cold start, warm up, partial throttle are all excellent. At part throttle it was going up to 24psi and moving like a scalded cat. I didn't go any higher because as a precaution I want the water injection spraying for initial testing above 25psi., and although it's hooked up, I don't have it programmed to spray at the moment. I have to be very methodical here and get all the data we can.

So far so good. The piston design seems solid, although we haven't tested anywhere near full boost yet. I expect they will be fine, this isn't our first time designing pistons and the manufacturer is top notch. The exhaust is great, the new cross over pipe gave the Record Monza a bit deeper growl, I like it a lot. The RHD intercooler is performing as expected, no real changes from the standard intercooler, although the ICS system is proving effective. I have it set up as an on/off system with high pressure and small nozzles. The atomization is so good that no liquid water gets into the engine bay, it all evaporated before there. At stock boost levels it really stops the intake temps from rising with boost. I didn't look at the intake temp gauge on my test drive with the tune, but if it rises much on boost I can just increase the spray. So everything is going well, but sadly I have to go to work on Sunday, so progress will stop for a few weeks.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,464 Posts
Very good news and happy for you. I'm jealous in a great way. Very bummed out for plenty other reasons.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Very good news and happy for you. I'm jealous in a great way. Very bummed out for plenty other reasons.
This is going to work out well for you. Any problems or issues and I'll find them and solve them first. If your engine isn't done when I get back I'll go take care of it myself.

Greg

41 - 45 of 45 Posts