Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally did everything for EC phase 2, the car actually feels fast now...love it...27lbs boost constant. Know this though, the turbo and compartment gets super hot! Also, gas mileage is like 10 less. Both of which I don’t really care about lol!

I am having a big issue, the car goes into limp mode (guessing here) boost won’t go higher than like 15, fixes itself for a bit when I turn off and on. It did not do this for the first 48 hours I had the tune. It did throw a code which I will go check here shortly. Anyone else have this issue? (I have all the recommended parts for phase 2)

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,829 Posts
Underboost P0299. Some of it can be cleared up via waste gate table but you also have to keep the RPMs up on throttle up by downshifting. OEM Waste Gate Actuator? May need more CRACK PRESSURE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have a forge wastegate... I don’t think I drove any differently than I have been. What’s a waste gate table?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, does the car limit boost? Feels like I bounce off 27.5 lbs

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Thanks, I have a forge wastegate... I don’t think I drove any differently than I have been. What’s a waste gate table?
Also, does the car limit boost? Feels like I bounce off 27.5 lbs
The tuner has to make the changes to the waste gate table. The tune is looking for things a little differently than before and if you are cruising at say 2500 RPMs (below good spool up) and want to get on it more than a gentle pass, you need to downshift to get to 3500ish and then get on it. It calculates a needed amount torque/HP to get to that new throttle position and if the boost can't provide it when it wants it will throw out a pending P0299 and limp until restarted. Its worse in the summer and at high altitudes but it can be worked out for the most part through the tune but you have to drive a little differently also to stay in the power band.

The boost limit is set in the tune but it can blip over it at first as the waste gate modulates it to the set max. If something blocks it from modulating quick enough, pistons go POP!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
You can train yourself a bit by turning Cruise Control On but don't set a speed, you just want the yellow light on. If you lug it and throw the P0299, the light will go out. If you don't have an OBD reader to clear, it will take a few restarts to fully clear the pending code to allow the CC to come back on, but it does come out of limp mode immediately upon first restart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a reader, headed down now to clear, thanks again for more
Good info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pulled code 2261....turbo bypass valve? It cleared no prob but what caused it? Same as we were talking about?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The connection to the wiring seemed okay, I undid it and redid it to make sure, checked all the clamps as well on the vacuum hoses, I didnt go into limp mode today on my 45 mile drive to work so will see what happens...thanks for the help

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm a little late on this thread...but after P2 I had the same limp mode, reduced boost issue. After shut down and restart, all would be good....until I lugged it again, ie accelerating in too low a gear...learned to drive a little differently, keeping revs above 3K by down shifting when needing to increase speed, and all is well. This has been mentioned in other posts. Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts