Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the reference(s), or complete references, for the phone app engine code reader and related hardware. I think Greg has mentioned something a few times. At 1800 miles I've not yet, fortunately, seen a check engine light come on (thermstat code or otherwise), but I would like to be prepared in case it happens.

I'm starting this to create a definitive source thread of phone apps, Android and Apple, and/or associated hardware for technical newbs like me. I can't pretend to fix a modern car's problems, but I'd like to be able to know the symptoms of its illness before bringing it to the mechanic.

Please list the full names/sources of the phone apps, and names/models/sources of any required hardware. If you can include a summary of your impressions and of their usefulness, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks for your assistance.
Steve.

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
The best one I am aware of is the Torque app on Android that works with just about any Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. It reads/clears codes, displays a wide range of OBD2 reported datafeed values in realtime with custom gauges, and has a number of additional features some owners may find useful. If anyone is interested, I can probably compile a list of parameters that can be viewed live with Torque on our cars.

You'll need a quality OBD2 adapter, preferably one that can read J1850 and CAN protocols, as some of the cheaper ones don't and may not work as well. Here's the kind I'm using: http://amzn.to/2r4aaBm

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XR- I, for one, would be interested in the Torque app parameters for our cars, if you're willing to do that. Thanks!

Steve.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I had ordered 2 bluetooth 10 days ago on Ebay I think $5.xx each from China, and a wired one. But thanks to my Niece I got and engine light on, So I had to go to a local electronic store and paid the same one for $23. can and loaded the Torque Pro app on the Android phone. Just to get the code read , it would cost me the same price except I now have the hardware and software with me.
www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-II-ELM327-V2-1-Auto-MINI-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-by-TEQstone-/201486908980?hash=item2ee98e3e34:g:iDUAAOSw~otWc3A0

I would be interested to know more about the extra features of Torque cause beside the Engine code, the rest is Chinese. LOL
Question: Someone mentioned that he leaves the OBD2 attached to the car. I noticed a little light is on the OBD2, will the Bluetooth active and small light on, can this drain the battery. thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had ordered 2 bluetooth 10 days ago on Ebay I think $5.xx each from China, and a wired one. But thanks to my Niece I got and engine light on, So I had to go to a local electronic store and paid the same one for $23. can and loaded the Torque Pro app on the Android phone. Just to get the code read , it would cost me the same price except I now have the hardware and software with me.
I would be interested to know more about the extra features of Torque cause beside the Engine code, the rest is Chinese. LOL
Question: Someone mentioned that he leaves the OBD2 attached to the car. I noticed a little light is on the OBD2, will the Bluetooth active and small light on, can this drain the battery. thanks
it will most certainly drain the battery if it sits long enough, probably not overnight but something to think about for sure if there will be a few days of sitting around.

i think i paid for an add on to the Torque app for Fiat but maybe a different app, i remember reading there are a few automakers, mazda being one and i think ford is another , who use a special protocol for some of the modules in the vehicle and they can not be accessed unless your scan tool and app are set up to work with them, like telemetrics module. all of the required information like engine codes and basic sensor info required by federal rules is fully available with the basic app.

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
Something like this won't drain your battery unless it's plugged in for half a year without starting the car. Not really a concern. I haven't checked the OBD2 location of this car yet (only had to check codes once, and forgot), but the issue I'd be more concerned with is your knee hitting the adapter.

Over on the Cruze forums, we have to monitor trans temp when doing an automatic trans fluid change and adjusting level. We discovered some of the OBD2 adapters would not report the transmission temp, even though the correct PDIM set was added for GM/Opel. This is when I discovered that not all OBD2 bluetooth adapters were created equally. If your primary goal is scanning for engine codes, any cheap OBD2 bluetooth adapter will be sufficient. If you want to ensure you have all of the data available to you, I'd spend the extra $10 and get one of the better ones that claim better compatibility.

As for the other features, I'll hop in the car today and get a list of what we have available, but much of this will rely on you being able to interpret the data. If you don't understand what LTFTs are, for example, being able to monitor them won't do you any good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use EOBD or Dashcommand for iOS with a ELM327 Wifi. Works fine!
DashCommand user here on Iphone. Think is was less than $10. Purchased low profile module from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014MV03OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) works fine ($20). Ran it on my Hyuandi Santa Fe Sport, the HP & Torque numbers look spot on. On My RX-8, it is over-estimating the HP by about 60HP and the Torque as well. Will also try it on my VW Eos where the HP should come in a little under 200.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DashCommand user here on Iphone. Think is was less than $10. Purchased low profile module from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014MV03OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) works fine ($20). Ran it on my Hyuandi Santa Fe Sport, the HP & Torque numbers look spot on. On My RX-8, it is over-estimating the HP by about 60HP and the Torque as well. Will also try it on my VW Eos where the HP should come in a little under 200.
If Torque is overestimating the hp, see if the mass that you entered is correct. It needs to know the full mass of the vehicle including driver, fuel, and any extras. If I remember correctly, I got about 140 hp, which is quite reasonable. We should all compare what masses we are putting in. If you have an accurate mass and speed, hp is just hp = V*Mass*dV/dT . I think that Torque also estimates friction and aerodynamic drag by adding: + Beta*mass + Kappa*V^3

·
Registered
261 Posts
If Torque is overestimating the hp, see if the mass that you entered is correct. It needs to know the full mass of the vehicle including driver, fuel, and any extras. If I remember correctly, I got about 140 hp, which is quite reasonable. We should all compare what masses we are putting in. If you have an accurate mass and speed, hp is just hp = V*Mass*dV/dT . I think that Torque also estimates friction and aerodynamic drag by adding: + Beta*mass + Kappa*V^3
He is using Dashcommand, which I believe calculates HP primarily based on fuel flow variables (last I checked). This produces some pretty oddball numbers, especially on this engine.

The Torque app uses different variables (it's probably much more accurate).

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I opened the Torque APP and did some driving, before starting one of the dial says boost and then says vacuum.

Anyway it show around 21. Is that ok with EDL. I still find hard to understand this APP.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm going to order the BAFX OBDII bluetooth scan tool through Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

I also own a Kia Soul, so it will be useful for both cars. Any need for me to buy an extension cable for plugging into these, or any other car? Such as this-
https://www.amazon.com/Diageng-Profile-Right-Extension-Ribbon/dp/B00EECXAY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499717654&sr=1-1&keywords=Diageng+Low+Profile+Right%2FLeft+Angle+OBD+2+II+Extension

Will be putting the Torque app on my Samsung phone.

Thanks,
Steve

p.s.- coming up on 3900 top-down miles in 10 weeks of ownership and so far (knocking on wood) no trouble codes have come up. (Man, that's a lot of driving.) Cripes, 2000 since I started this thread a month ago!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I see cravenspeed has an OBD-II scanner with an on/off switch, so you can shut it off while leaving it plugged into the port. It's a bit long though, and with my leg length, I'm worried about banging it with my leg while I'm driving. So in searching Amazon, I've come across a few others that only extend a bit over half an inch beyond the actual port itself... but most of those appear to only go into sleep mode. Still looking, but the gameplan is to mount an Andoid tablet running Torque somewhere in the cabin. That said, when I purchased Torque Pro I also found some sort of parameter file called Fiat EX, but it only lists the 1.4 multiair for the 500 (without any turbo reference). I'm wondering if anyone uses a file similar to that with their Torque installation, or if it has any real value?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts