Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Record Monza exhaust. Just got delivered and I'm going to get it installed tomorrow, and I was wondering a couple things.

I'm aware of the spring mechanism that has a tendency to get seized in place. I used to have a 500 Abarth and those have no muffler from the factory and I dug the sound, so I imagine I'd like the sound with it stuck open. Would there be any detriment to removing the spring? I won't want to weld the flange into place, but then theoretically any exhaust pressure would open it up all the time and if it gets seized it's in the spot I want it anyways?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
If you keep the mechanism lubed, it will be fine. I think the reports of it getting stuck open may be overblown.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Your 500 Abarth came with an exhaust from the factory... a Record Monza exhaust. Different shape but same functional design as the Record Monza you've just acquired for your Spider. A flap that opens based on pressure. The solution is to apply some anti seize compound to the spring and hinge mechanism (sparingly, a little goes a long ways, and don't get it on you.... its murder to get rid of). My practice, both with my 500 Abarth, and now my 124 Spider Abarth, is to reapply it each spring as part of my annual maintenance ritual. You hear a lot of rants about it freezing in an open or closed position, but that was never and still isnt' my experience. Then again, I made a little effort to ensure it didn't happen. I agree with Sharkcohen, it's a hugely overblown issue.

One thing I would recommend though, depending upon how much aesthetics bother you. Unless they're changed their production jigs, by default, after installation when you look at the rear of the car, you'll see one side of the pipes hangs lower than the other. Heat and bend the brackets slightly during the installation and you'll end up with a nicely symetical look from the back. Otherwise, your driver side pipes will be hanging about half or three-quarters of an inch lower than the passenger side pair. It drove me nuts when I saw it, but it's a quick and easy fix if you mention it to your installer before they begin the work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your 500 Abarth came with an exhaust from the factory... a Record Monza exhaust. Different shape but same functional design as the Record Monza you've just acquired for your Spider. A flap that opens based on pressure.
I don't know how they are in other markets, but in the US the 500 Abarth is straight piped after the catalytic converter. No flaps or mufflers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
FWIW, Mine was perfectly aligned after installation with no needed adjustment. This was in January.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I don't know how they are in other markets, but in the US the 500 Abarth is straight piped after the catalytic converter. No flaps or mufflers.
Interesting. Not the case with the Canadian variant that I owned. Maybe they changed after the 2013 models, or maybe a different national transportation board requirement from the US models.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Not the case with the Canadian variant that I owned. Maybe they changed after the 2013 models, or maybe a different national transportation board requirement from the US models.

I stand corrected.
Not sure why they'd change it like that. Especially since here legally you have to have a muffler, so I'm not sure how they got away with it. I've seen under a 2016 and it's the same as my 2013, so I don't think it ever changed for the US market.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The whole Valve seizing up issue is way overblown. Like Shark and CD said above, lube it up once in a while and it will be fine. I use a spray molybdenum lube.

One other thing that I do is "exercise" the valve every time I drive the car. Just get on it and you will hear the exhaust sound change when the valve opens. I usually exercise the valve several times a day, only to test and keep the valve working. Just another sacrifice that I have to make to take care of my car. I don't do it because it's fun or anything...

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
The whole Valve seizing up issue is way overblown. Like Shark and CD said above, lube it up once in a while and it will be fine. I use a spray molybdenum lube.

One other thing that I do is "exercise" the valve every time I drive the car. Just get on it and you will hear the exhaust sound change when the valve opens. I usually exercise the valve several times a day, only to test and keep the valve working. Just another sacrifice that I have to make to take care of my car. I don't do it because it's fun or anything...
Yes, I'm a firm believer in exercising the valve frequently as well. Only for preventative maintenance purposes though... wink wink nod nod :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts