Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To help my possibly repeated buying decision, I'm trying to work out if I might actually prefer the halogen headlight set-up, because the "halo" around the dipped beam lens is more circular that the oval shape "halo" on the LED adaptive lights, and thus matches the round 7" headlights of the original 124 Spider. I'm not so worried about the lack of brightness of the halogen light, since I would put in an H11 LED bulb, or at least HID, for the dipped beam. The dual filament main beam/DRL is an H15 fitments (55/15W) and would be difficult to replace by LED or HID, but the main reason to upgrade its to make the dipped beam so good that main beam is rarely needed.

But I'm rather confused by the "halo" on the halogens and whether the ring actually lights up or not? In the showroom I tried the lights and first side lights, so the little clear "wedge" at the side lights up (orange side marker light in the US) and also causes the "halo" to light up slightly at the outside edge. Then there is dipped beam that shines through the lens around which the "halo" sits, and then main beam where the separate inner bit lights up. But there does not appear to be a DRL as such? Or is it just that it only comes on with the ignition fully on or engine running with handbrake off, and it is in fact the "halo" that lights up?

On the Anniversary I have, it has the same visibility pack with LED lights and DRLs that the Lusso Plus gets, and in the sidelight position, the "halo" lights up (there doesn't seem to be a separate bulb to light up the "wedge" at the side?). There are separate dipped and main beams inside the "halo", and a further light outside the "halo" - is this the DRL that only lights up when the engine is running? (Sorry, not planning on using my car much if at all before it goes back to the dealer).

Are there any kind-hearted owners with the halogens (and LEDs) that can show me what the lights look like in various positions (DRL only, sidelights, dipped beam, main beam)? I mean pictures of the entire light units taken from the front, not picture of what the beam patterns look like on a wall or whatever.
i

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just replaced my halogens with LEDs. I'm pleased with the result and list the LEDs I used in this thread:
Upgrading Halogens to LEDs

The only downside was you lose DRLs when you replace the HB3 High Beams with LEDs. DRLs are created by lowering the power on the Halogens. LEDs don't work that way. I guess you could probably engineer a fix but I find it just as easy to leave the low beams on.

I'll try and get pics when I get back in town.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts