Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
641 - 660 of 663 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
36 Posts
What a day! Google “boat launch,” pick your distance and…
Wheel Tire Car Water Vehicle

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tire Cloud Water Wheel Sky

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Drivetrain insertion.... and all good!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
What did you change to?
Lost the flywheel bolts, over-reved, broke the original motor. Replaced with a takeout after the dealer was useless, so multifuel 1.4 turbo 6-speed. Now I have a spare drivetrain to rebuild and "improve."

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Lost the flywheel bolts, over-reved, broke the original motor. Replaced with a takeout after the dealer was useless, so multifuel 1.4 turbo 6-speed. Now I have a spare drivetrain to rebuild and "improve."
Damn that was quick! Can you come and replace my thermostat? Lol I have been lagging on ordering one and even made an appointment to get it replaced under warranty but don’t think the $70 is worth the potential damage that an inexperienced tech can do to my car. In other words I don’t trust anyone to do a better job than myself, save for some of you guys and girls.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Damn that was quick! Can you come and replace my thermostat? Lol I have been lagging on ordering one and even made an appointment to get it replaced under warranty but don’t think the $70 is worth the potential damage that an inexperienced tech can do to my car. In other words I don’t trust anyone to do a better job than myself, save for some of you guys and girls.
If you are flexible and have small hands, yeah, do the thermostat, piece of cake. I had to reach back there to do the Euro Drive piggy back plug into the cam sensor. Really tight, but can be done in the driveway. I think I'd pull the hood to make it easy. That's as easy as pulling a wheel.

But also I'm anal and cleaned the inside of the cowl and wiper linkage area spotless as I put her back together too, so I do the work. The scratches on the radiator support from the dealer's assistance REALLY made me happy though. Last time they'll see it.

As you say, there's just way too much stuff for the jeep technician to mess up. I will always do it myself now. Swappin' drivetrains, there's about 30+ points of interface for our friends the tech to mess up. Only thing I missed was hooking up the line to the vacuum brake booster initially at the firewall, and that was obvious as soon as I started. About to drive her on an 800 mile trip to Kansas with no worries. Truthfully, with a cherry picker and the adjustable pivot on the engine, this was one of the easiest swaps I've done of about a dozen in the past.

Scariest part was the mental image of that motor and tranny going through the windshield...
Car Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Tire

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thank you for the vote of confidence. So you say the thermostat is on the back of the block? Thought I saw somewhere it was under the intake manifold. I have installed the harness to the madness ECU on my previous Abarth and it was super tight! Can’t imagine getting anything bigger than that connector out of that spot. Do you happen to have a photo of the thermostat location? If I can see how it’s situated I can figure it out without actually being able to see it. Again thank you so much for responding.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Glad you survived that! Must have been bad if they had to replace all the panels. Surprisingly the wind screen surround looks ok.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
300 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Abarth AT track tool
8 Posts
Glad you survived that! Must have been bad if they had to replace all the panels. Surprisingly the wind screen surround looks ok.
I actually wrote a post about that with more pics, but it's stuck on approval for some reason. Dunno why, maybe admins of the "General" section could look at that and push it forward

SAVE THOSE WHEELS!
You bet I will. I was actually considering something lighter and with better brakes ventilation, like the Königs, but then decided I like these more.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
At Brooklands earlier today, on the old start-finish straight with the old banked track in the background...wait, where did everyone go? 😆
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Reactions: Tazilon Brenner

·
Registered
997 Posts
Always wanted a reason to photograph this historic gas station in Carmel by the Sea.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

641 - 660 of 663 Posts