Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was deciding between some other cars but finally decided a 124 abarth also a grey one (i may have to wrap the hood/trunk) my plan is to daily the car for the coming 3-5 years in a hot city but not planning on killing the car just casual drive, i just want to know am i making a good decision here? if anyone is having high miles anything you faced? i spent minutes looking the forums the badge thing, oil ( i already watched a vid and saved it to use it later) those are normal things but anything more i should know?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Two very important things to keep in mind as you read threads on the forum.

First, the majority of the threads that talk about problems are in fact the rarities, not the normal experiences of most owners. For example, I had a battle for over a year trying to figure out a reoccurring P0172 code that was getting thrown. While my dealer was working with me trying to figure it out, I also tossed it out here to see if anyone had ideas or suggestions. Ultimately it was tied to a vacuum leak coming from a cracked plastic t-connector that was used as part of my after-market boost gauge installation. Not a factory component failure. What I'm trying to get across is that most of the "problem" posts are people trying to figure out unusual problems they've experienced. The "one percenters" if you will. For the most part, the car is very, very reliable. But if you've modified it, or drive the snot out of it, yeah... you will likely have the occasional problem.

Second, you and you alone need to figure out if this is the car you want to own (or not). No one else could (or should) be trying to make that decision for you. If you like the looks and the feel, and you find yourself smiling when you're in the driver's seat and rowing the gears, then you'll know if you're making the right decision... for you.

I would however, ensure that you have the car thoroughly inspected and confirm the maintenance and upkeep on it by the previous owner(s). You'd want to do that with any used car. I'll speculate that the majority of Spiders don't see huge amount of miles, but some do, and you'll find threads on there talking about high mileage experience. If it's maintained properly, with regular oil and filter changes, it should last well. The thing being is that the oldest recent generation 124 Spider is only slightly over six years old, but it's based on good bones from both Mazda and Fiat. I took mine home in January of 2017, and have around 55,000 km on the odometer (32,000 miles give or take). That's not huge mileage by any stretch of the imagination, but it's entirely summer driving as the car never sees snow, ice, or road salt and sand. The only issues I've experienced with it during our time together has been self-inflicted from things I've done to modify it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I bought a 2017 Abarth in December 2017. It was garaged until Spring 2018. This is my 5th summer driving it and it has ~22,000 miles. It is garaged, and not driven in rain or snow. And never driven with the top up. Essentially, an April to October, sunny day vehicle.

Zero issues with the car. All I've done is routine maintenance. If you were to buy my car you'd be getting a great vehicle. But you can't buy my car. So when you're shopping I'd suggest that you try and find one like mine...that is, low mileage, fair weather driven, and un-modded. I know this forum loves mods, but if I were buying a vehicle I'd personally steer clear of a modded example. It's one thing to do mods on your own vehicle, it's another to be buying someone else's project car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Our 2018 Classica: Hitting 50K miles soon - no issues.
Our 2017 Abarth: hitting 30K miles soon: no issues.

Friend's 2017 Classica: over 88K miles - no issues.

The overall history of the car is that it has had only 1 recall in the US for 1/2 a model year and has had no investigations by the NHTSA.

A few minor issues that multiple people have experienced, but are fixable under warranty:
1) some tops rubs against the roll bars.
2) some seat belt retractors stop working properly and have to be replaced.

Buy it and don't look back (unless you want to see what can't keep up in the twisties).

·
Registered
914 Posts
I daily drive an’18 Classica manual.

in a moderate rain, it will be difficult to see since everyone is throwing rain down on you. During a heavy rain, you’ll be blind. pucker time. Rain-X helps.

Summer tires are really the best way to enjoy the car and it’s great steering, but you will need an aggressive all season/winter tire depending on where you live during the inclement months.

If you commute 5 days a week in stop and go traffic, don’t get a manual. But this goes for any car.

I have had the water pump replaced. I am scheduled for the dealership to inspect the alternator tomorrow. I have had the rear differential replaced since it was making noise at 22 to 23 rpm in sixth while very gently applying the gas. The noise is back, and they say that it is normal. Hmm. I will get that in writing before the warranty expires.

It is a fun car, not a gran tourer, nor a straight line, look at me go, kind of car. Driving in traffic is fun since third is a great scoot and go gear.

The trunk is surprisingly roomy. I take the car on long drives to go camping, etc, but I do realize that it is going to be a loud,(I always drive with the top down unless it’s raining or really cold) visceral experience. I just embrace it. Although top down windows up really isn’t too bad.

When it snows the cabin can actually be cozy inside. It has a great heater, which you can use also top down to about 40 degrees. But windows up.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
334 Posts
You won't regret buying it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2018 with 13,9K
Bad Starter
Bad Alternator
Bad Washer Fluid Sensor