Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try cleaning your seatbelts ?
Not yet! I’ve got a bunch of old mates coming to town and I’m focused on detailing the Spider. In the meantime I’ve developed a habit of just giving the seatbelt a little assist as I remove it and that’s taken care of it for now.

I think this is a Mazda thing. My ‘09 Mazda3 has behaved the same way since new.

·
Registered
Fiat 124 Spider w/ Abarth LSD & RM
98 Posts
I think its for the dirt too...

Nice tires btw :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I replied to your question in my blog. It is strictly for aerodynamics. Interesting research...

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,126 Posts
It’s for aero dynamics. If air smoothly flows over the fenders it causes a void where the wheel is, and the void creates a vacuum and in return drag. The plastic part breaks up the smooth flow causing turbulence, and the turbulence disrupts this process thus eliminating the drag. Same way the rear spoiler moves the vortex away from the rear of the car thus preventing the void (vacuum) from pulling the car backwards and creating extra drag.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sorry @ameridan i should have clicked your link before replying. Good to know I retained some information from school.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The why of things have lead me to many fascinating discoveries. I feel it is a reason cars interest me. So many whys and why not do it this way?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ok I reread your article and stared at the pictures and numbers, and this is what I gather. The vacuum created in the front is lowering the nose of the car, preventing less volume of air from getting under the chassis. This in turn reduces lift, drag, and increases downforce. Also noticed behind the wheel there is a pressure likely this acts like a wall preventing the air from pushing against the inner fender that would otherwise be like an air dam. I could be totally off base with this, but this is my interpretation.

·
Registered
Fiat 124 Spider w/ Abarth LSD & RM
98 Posts
Well so the main reason is aero dynamics.

But as a consequence of the less vacuum, less dirt goes to the rear bumper...🤓🤓🤓

·
Registered
995 Posts
The fin in OP's picture is NOT an aerodynamic feature. It’s a rock guard for the rear bumper cover from Mopar

The picture in the link is generic; OP's picture is what they actually look like. These don't usually come standard so if the car had a prior owner, they must have installed it. I installed them as well on my car and I can confirm that they do a great job of protecting the rear bumper cover from stone chips... sadly I only know they work because I had a few chips there already before installing them and new ones stopped appearing after they were installed.

That said, there ARE aerodynamic features around the wheel wells, they are NOT the rock guards but the little rectangular tabs in the lower front area of each wheel well. These function like fairings on a motorcycle, diverting airflow away from highly un-aerodynamic features, like motorcycle riders or in the case of our cars, the wheels.

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting. You're saying this feature on the car is Mopar part # 82215022?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Interesting. You're saying this feature on the car is Mopar part # 82215022?
D’oh! My bad, that’s not the rock guard. The rock guard goes under that fin and looks somewhat similar. I must’ve gotten confused. Disregard what I said.

Reactions: mtnghost and 17221
1 - 19 of 19 Posts