Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cravenspeed Platypus plate frame with extension

Sure, it's a bit spendy for something so simple... but I just didn't like the idea of drilling the front bumper, and the offset gives me a more vintage roadster sort of feel for some reason.

From the pix on their site, the stock position seemed a bit high and outside to me, aligning with the upper grille only and possibly in the path of the high beam and turn signal. I inquired if there was a way to make it lower and a bit further inside, and they included a ~4" adapter arm and extra hardware free of charge.

I really like the final results.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The kit is well made, the order shipped promptly, and I was very impressed with the customer service. Good stuff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had no idea they offered a 4" extension to move the plate! I like that position way better then what is shown on their site. I will definitely take another look at this kit. Thanks so much for the post.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had no idea they offered a 4" extension to move the plate! I like that position way better then what is shown on their site. I will definitely take another look at this kit. Thanks so much for the post.
Can't you skip the front plate in WI as long as you are behaving in other aspects of driving? I.e. can't be pulled over just for a missing plate?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can't you skip the front plate in WI as long as you are behaving in other aspects of driving? I.e. can't be pulled over just for a missing plate?
That is correct, but who always want's to behave while driving? :D I'm just a worrier and want to have a back up plan ready if I ever get pulled over.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 124's front end looks so good plateless, but I'm with you... not worth adding insult to injury if there is a traffic stop.

At least it's not bad as the ND MX-5, especially in white. A coworker has one and I can't help but see an angry cartoon chipmunk every time I look at it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine doesn't have an extender and looks to be about the same. Platypus does use a further offset plate mount for our car but mine is bolted straight to the tow hook mount. Really happy with how it looks and many others have commented on how clean it looks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
The one thing I hated about my Alfa Romeo was the off-set number plate. As they say, horses for courses!
Had two Alfa's both with the offset number plates. Can't say I was moved one way or the other about it to be honest. Just another quirky Alfa-ism

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine doesn't have an extender and looks to be about the same. Platypus does use a further offset plate mount for our car but mine is bolted straight to the tow hook mount. Really happy with how it looks and many others have commented on how clean it looks.
Is yours mounted flush against the grille?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to clarify (sounds like it may be unclear) the extension moves the plate frame laterally from the center of the tow-hook... not forward, away from the body. Whether or not the extension piece is used, this system keeps the plate from touching any part of the bumper or grille.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is yours mounted flush against the grille?
it's not touching any part of the car. Will try to get some different angles to better show, but definitely a gap between the bumper/grille and the plate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
a better angle...
your plate is definitely lower than mine and fairly close side to side. I might contact them about the bracket if I want to lower mine but probably leave as is. They are so easy to work with, I'm sure they'd send me one if I ask.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sure, it's a bit spendy for something so simple... but I just didn't like the idea of drilling the front bumper, and the offset gives me a more vintage roadster sort of feel for some reason.

From the pix on their site, the stock position seemed a bit high and outside to me, aligning with the upper grille only and possibly in the path of the high beam and turn signal. I inquired if there was a way to make it lower and a bit further inside, and they included a ~4" adapter arm and extra hardware free of charge.

I really like the final results.

View attachment 9098

View attachment 9106

View attachment 9114

The kit is well made, the order shipped promptly, and I was very impressed with the customer service. Good stuff.
I got the same kit but no extender, just the standard one that came with it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts