Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved this car ever since I first saw it 1988.

It was this car that made me love white wheels.
I know, not everyone's cup of tea.
But hey, its my fantasy, not yours.
So before I spent money on custom wheels I thought I would test it with some removable PlastiDip
on the stock ABARTH snowflake wheels.

In the past 24 hours I have been complimented by so many people in parking lots, car washes, gas station
and drive by thumbs ups that this is definitely the way I'm going.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
That's very interesting. I would love to see a video on how you did that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to say, to my eye, this car looks absolutely fantastic - and that's coming from someone who wouldn't normally go for a white car. No wonder you've been getting so many thumbs up. The problem with black or darker wheels is the lack of visible detail, but here you see it all. But mainly, the white wheels perfectly complement the overall black and white theme such that, aesthetically, the balance of the two looks just right to me. FAR better than the car that originally inspired you IMO! Nice work.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's what Abarth (UK) have done in creating a "replica" Rally with a GT hardtop, yours for a mere £25k

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The Abarth wheels do look good in white.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks stellar OP

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to say, to my eye, this car looks absolutely fantastic - and that's coming from someone who wouldn't normally go for a white car. No wonder you've been getting so many thumbs up. The problem with black or darker wheels is the lack of visible detail, but here you see it all. But mainly, the white wheels perfectly complement the overall black and white theme such that, aesthetically, the balance of the two looks just right to me. FAR better than the car that originally inspired you IMO! Nice work.
Thank you!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's very interesting. I would love to see a video on how you did that.
There are hundreds of YouTube videos on how to apply PlastiDip. In a nutshell, the trick is multiple coats, my wheels have at least 7 coats, with 15 minutes between coats.
The other is to start with very light coats, really just a dusting to start and slowly applying heavier coats as you go.
I took off all four wheels, masked wheel one and gave it a coat of PlastiDip. That took about 15 minutes.
On to the next wheel, masked and PlastiDip, the coat two on wheel one.
Lather, rinse and repeat...
Once all four wheels were masked and had a t least one coat I would add another coat to all four wheels every 15 minutes.
Here are the four wheels. Counter clockwise from the bottom left: freshly masked and no dip, one coat, two coats and three coats of dip.
There are plastic garbage bags under the wheels to mask the rim and keep the dip off the driveway.

Once a wheel had a good finish I dropped it out of the spray rotation, eventually completing all four with 7+ coats.
I used 8 cans of satin white PlastiDip to complete the 4 wheels
Your last coat should be a heavy wet coat. This ensures three things:
-You get a smooth finish
-Easy masking removal. After the last coat, while the finish is still wet, remove the masking. If you wait until the finish is dry there is a good possibility you will pull off some of the finish.
-Lastly, if the finish is too thin its a nightmare to remove. With a proper amount of coats the PlastiDip just peels right off.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
great use of poker cards!!!

looks very good.

aloha mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great use of poker cards!!!

looks very good.

aloha mike
Thank you! I don't remeber where I picked up the trick of using playing cards to mask wheels but it works far better than tape. Because the cards are semi-rigid they can be forced between the rim and the tire giving you a clean shot when spraying the edges. Also the slick finish of the cards releases really well from paint and dip.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thank you! I don't remeber where I picked up the trick of using playing cards to mask wheels but it works far better than tape. Because the cards are semi-rigid they can be forced between the rim and the tire giving you a clean shot when spraying the edges. Also the slick finish of the cards releases really well from paint and dip.
How do you think the plastidip holds up to scrapes and scratches vs regular paint? How long will it last?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Applied correctly PlastiDip lasts 3-4 years.
Once dry you can wash it with a pressure washer with no problem.
Its probably a little more resistant to scratches than normal paint as is flexible rubber rather than brittle paint.
If you do manage to scratch or gouge it you can soften it with PlastiDip remover and touch it up with another can of spray.
PlastiDip may not be well known in the sport car community but its been around the hot rod and modders world for years.
Search YouTube for PlastiDip cars and prepare to be amazed at what some people have done.
Here are a couple examples

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been using PlastiDip on vehicles for about five years, including the wheels on my pickup truck, which sees regular miles off-road in gravel, mud and sand. So I can answer as to durability.

Properly applied, it's softer, more flexible ("rubbery"), and more elastic than paint, which means that in certain circumstances, impacts that will scratch paint may deflect from a "dipped" surface without damage. However, it's not as hard as paint, so if scratched, it may develop into a tear. But... !

The really nice thing about PlastDip is that if you scratch, tear or damage it, you can respray the damage without redoing the entire surface, and it'll look as good as when you first did it. That's because wet spray will partially dissolve dry PlastiDip and blend in nicely. I've done this a number of times on my truck wheels, takes a few minutes, can't tell the difference.

So the answer to the durability question is "almost as durable as paint, damage occurs differently, doesn't matter because repair is far easier".

·
786 Posts
I did this years ago on my FIAT 500 Abarth and it worked great. I went with red though. It is much more durable than you would think it would be and is easy to touch up if the need arises

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just for reference, if I ever wrapped my car it would be in a glossy, satin red:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts