Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thinking of trading my ‘18 Classica (and paying more) for a ‘20 Abarth. My Classica has low mileage but has been in the shop 2X for the water pump issue evidently endemic to the ‘18 model year. I read of someone with a ‘19 model experiencing the same trouble. Any experience of coolant leaks or the water pump with later years? Thanks...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi all thinking of trading my ‘18 Classica (and paying more) for a ‘20 Abarth. My Classica has low mileage but has been in the shop 2X for the water pump issue evidently endemic to the ‘18 model year. I read of someone with a ‘19 model experiencing the same trouble. Any experience of coolant leaks or the water pump with later years? Thanks...
My '19 Lusso went in at 5 months, 1250 miles for a new water pump.

So far, knock wood, at 10 months, 2600 miles, it hasn't gone in again.

I don't think it's solely an '18 model year issue though.

Reactions: Shawnphm

·
Registered
2019 Abarth 124 Spider
22 Posts
My 2019 went in for water pump as well, 1 year and 6k miles when it was replaced. Benn almost a year now and at 9k, so far so good

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damm! You would think they could correct that as soon as they knew they had a weakness. What happens? Just notice it overheating when you are out on a drive? That would suck if you are very far from home.

·
Registered
2019 Abarth 124 Spider
22 Posts
Damm! You would think they could correct that as soon as they knew they had a weakness. What happens? Just notice it overheating when you are out on a drive? That would suck if you are very far from home.
I didn’t notice it, took it in for an oil change and they told me….

must not have been leaking much as there’s was nothing on the garage floor…..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I saw green coolant on my garage floor and took it in.

I never had any overheating fortunately.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don’t even get me started. Didn’t get to go on a road trip because of this issue. On my second water pump, but the reservoir and cap couldn’t hold pressure. Probably from all the times the dealership kept adding coolant. Fortunately I checked the level myself before I got stranded somewhere in Nebraska. UGH

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2019 had the water pump replacement after I'd had the car almost 8 months, with 6 months of them being WFH. Been about 8 months since the (entire) month my water pump was replaced. No reinfection or variants as of yet! Knocking on wood with fingers crossed

·
Registered
239 Posts
Maybe adding the Build date to this threads posts, for those that had the failure / repair, would help narrow down the timeline of the affected vehicles?

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
312 Posts
Replacing a water pump is usually not rocket science. There is something very wrong.

It's possible something is very wrong with the water pump mounting surfaces. Either the pump itself or the engine block. One of the 2 mating surfaces might not be dead flat. Or there is a thermo expansion issue. The metal of the pump and block are expanding and contracting at different rates when heated or cooled.

I wonder if there is a machining QC issue where some water pump flanges are not machined perfectly flat? Flatness of the pump flange should be easy to check. Where there any revisions to the water pumps? Are the water pumps the same part numbers for 2018, 2019, 2020?

Another theory is the engine block surface where the water pump mounts is not perfectly flat. I wonder if anyone has ever had a tech check the block for dead flatness? This would be a big problem.

Other possibilities. The techs are not applying the correct sealants. Or the sealant they used have expired. Or they are not torquing the nuts or bolts in the proper sequence to the proper foot pounds. Essentially they are squeezing out the sealant when they are bolting the new water pumps on.

There is just not much more that can be the problem.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,282 Posts
Other possibilities. The techs are not applying the correct sealants. Or the sealant they used have expired. Or they are not torquing the nuts or bolts in the proper sequence to the proper foot pounds. Essentially they are squeezing out the sealant when they are bolting the new water pumps on.
That is the issue in my opinion. The sealant is terrible and expires in the tube. It dries HARD and then I can see it easily cracking and leaking with thermal expansion. When I pulled mine off, there was lots of oversqueeze but places that could have been coated better on the actual mating surface of the pump. It was a pain to scrape off to get a clean surface again.

J-B Weld all the way!

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
637 Posts
Where exactly is the water pump located on this engine? I heard it may be hard to access since this is a transverse-designed engine mounted longitudinally.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts

That big hole on the left next to the freeze plug.

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts