Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

So I stored my car for the first year for 6 months over the winter and there was no issue to start it. (2019 124 Lusso).

The second time I stored the 124 (2021-2022) over the winter, it did not start.

Both times the car was on a trickle charger.

I got it towed to Fiat and they said the car needed to be primed.

They recommend starting the car at least once a month and let it run for 15 minutes or at least drive it around a bit.

They also said that the dealer can only prime it when I asked what should I do if it happens again.

That being said, does anyone know how to prime the oil? I'm sure it doesn't take a genius, just the right tools which I have none of.
This way I can tell my mechanic instead of Fiat doing it as my warranty will only last so long.

Did any one else have these issues?
Does the added catch can have anything to do with it?

I read in other areas on here that opening the oil cap and starting it helps. I mentioned this to the dealer but they said that didn't help regarding my situation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey fellow canuck I also store my 2019 124 spider abarth for 6 months a year due to winters where weve had several long coldsnaps of -40c each winter for the last three winters ive had my car. I store mine in my unheated garage, no trickle charger, but i start it every 2 weeks temperature permitting. Ive only ever had one non-start and that was last year. I took off the oil cap and then it started no problem.
Your issue sounds more serious and ive read info elsewhere on this forum on how to deal with it. Good luck !

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey fellow canuck I also store my 2019 124 spider abarth for 6 months a year due to winters where weve had several long coldsnaps of -40c each winter for the last three winters ive had my car. I store mine in my unheated garage, no trickle charger, but i start it every 2 weeks temperature permitting. Ive only ever had one non-start and that was last year. I took off the oil cap and then it started no problem.
Your issue sounds more serious and ive read info elsewhere on this forum on how to deal with it. Good luck !
We'll I did get recall for #Y92 but that is a fuel issue (so they say).
So I'm waiting for those part(s) to come in.
Mine was stored in a heated facility so issue could be deeper but FIAT mentioned that it was a priming issue, nothing more.
I guess I'll just have to tinker as I go 🤷

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,265 Posts
Hi @Fortuna , there are a number of threads on this forum dealing with a no-start situation after long term storage. I have an '18 M.Y. 124 Spider and have experienced the same issue once. What you need to do is refer to @ameridan 's wonderful site " www.21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com " , under his 2018 articles (click on the three horizontal bars, top left of the home page), search "re-establishing oil flow in the Multi-Air brick" and prime the brick through the check ball under the oil fill cap. After Dan's article, there is a comment section where I and others have expressed what they did to get the engine running, many comments under different threads here also. The procedure goes like this: pull the fuel pump fuse so you don't flood the engine. Remove the oil fill cap. Apply 5 to 8 ounces of oil through the check ball shown in Dan's article ( under the fill cap) using a fine tip oiler that will depress the ball and get oil past the ball instead of all over the top of the brick. Crank the engine over for 10 - 15 seconds several times, with 15 second pauses in between to allow for the starter to cool, gas pedal to the floor while cranking (clear flood mode). Replace the fuel pump fuse, continue cranking normally until you hear/feel the engine gain compression. Then the engine should start. This is the oiler I use:
Fluid Liquid Rectangle Gas Jewellery
Automotive lighting Liquid Gas Jewellery Metal
This is the Dutton-Lainson # 707 Oiler with Flex Spout (" www.dutton-lainson.com " ) available thru them, Amazon, or some local hardware stores and automotive parts stores. It has a very fine tip and the long flex spout that makes this job really easy. Good Luck, hope this helps, Best, s

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,265 Posts
P.S.: I believe those who have had luck starting their car after just removing the oil fill cap, or extracting a few ounces of oil out the dipstick tube and then adding a few ounces of new oil have just experienced "s--t luck", most likely due to not every bit of oil that could have drained out of the brick actually did drain out. For those that have been this lucky, good for you! However, for those who are not so lucky, priming through the check ball will be necessary. And why do some engines experience this issue and some not? Or, how come my engine didn't do this for two winters in storage, and then it did? Well, I don't know 100%, because I have not disassembled a "Brick" but I strongly suspect it all has to do with the exact position the the crankshaft, and hence the cam and brick internal parts, stop at when the engine is shut off the final time before storage. It may also be possible that Tolerance Stacking could also have an effect on which engines might only go 2-3 weeks, others months, before experiencing this issue - or a combination of both. Best, s

·
Registered
540 Posts
This next winter my 17 will be mothballed for 7 months. I feel this is better than bothering my neighbor having the car started one a month. When we return in May '23 I fully expect to prime the brick as mentioned.

It's really odd that a car so many of us only drive in nice weather doesn't hibernate well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
89 Posts
I stored it for a year through a Cleveland winter with no tender - just disconnected the negative terminal. I purchased a battery pack to help crank the engine and removed the fuel pump fuse. I turned it over about 10 times and returned the next day after charging up the battery pack. Replaced the fuse and turned the car over. Took like 3 times to start.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Prime the brick like it says above. I haven’t bothered to disconnect the fuel line. Crank it a couple times and it sputters to life.
This last winter I just ran it once a month. It was fine. Thankfully global warming is fiat drive time in western mass now in the winter. Seemed to be able to find a day once a month to take her out to the post office and back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I heard it has to do with the design of the engine what happens is the oil drains to the pan and if the oil pressure is not sufficient the engine will not start...kind of a safety feature....but a pain in the ass.....I just bought a 2017 Abarth....has only 4k on it...previous owner said it happened once to him...go figure car is 5 years old and only 4000 miles on it...after talking to several Fiat Mechanics that is what they told him...it is a design flaw....he told me to just start the car every couple of weeks to get the oil back to the top and there should be no issues....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts