Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo was replaced under warranty and about a month later I received a call from my dealer's service adviser telling me that they reused the turbo support bolts but to be in compliance with the Fiat warranty service, they need to replace them.

Now, normally, this wouldn't be an issue, I trust my dealer but this specific service adviser has never told me the truth, he comes up with these incredible lies to cover himself from responsibility. i.e. the first appointment for replacing the turbo, the car sat outside for three days without it being worked on. I told him that I was taking my car home and he could give me a call when they had a tech available (although I had an appointment). Well, instead of just telling me "no problem, I'll give you a call" he created this story about the tech quitting that day and moving to California and that they needed to have another tech trained, blah, blah, blah....
Two months passed and he never gave me a call. I call the dealer again and specifically ask for a different adviser, set up a new appointment, done. Well, out of nowhere and coincidentally, this guy calls me that same day to ask me if I want to set up an appointment to install the turbo... More BS...

The question is, do these support bolts need to be replaced when replacing a turbo? If yes, can I just buy them and replace them myself instead of taking the car to the dealer? Or this is more BS related to something else and I will regret it if I take the car to the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Unless the failure of the original turbo was due to a design flaw with the installation bolts, I would be leaning towards the bull hooey side of things. But that's pure rampant speculation on my part. Rather than talk with the dealer, I would recommend (and I can't believe I'm saying this) to call FCA Customer Support and get them to give you the definitive answer. It just doesn't make sense to me that anytime a component is replaced that the assembly or mounting bolts would also need to be replaced to maintain warranty seems peculiar.

Sorry to hear you're going through this kind of grief. No owner deserves that.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
In today's engines, some bolts are only designed to go in once. We've seen this repeatedly when changing exhausts on this car that certain bolts just snap off. Sometimes you can get away with reusing them but it's probably a good idea just to replace them when you have them out. I recently did a brake job on my wife's car. The manual called for me to replace the caliper bracket bolts and not reuse the originals.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the original turbo mounting bolts but could be a point of failure when your car is no longer in warranty. Or not. I despise letting Fiat "mechanics" touch my car so I avoid the dealer at all costs. Tough decision on your part.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
In today's engines, some bolts are only designed to go in once. We've seen this repeatedly when changing exhausts on this car that certain bolts just snap off. Sometimes you can get away with reusing them but it's probably a good idea just to replace them when you have them out. I recently did a brake job on my wife's car. The manual called for me to replace the caliper bracket bolts and not reuse the originals.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the original turbo mounting bolts but could be a point of failure when your car is no longer in warranty. Or not. I despise letting Fiat "mechanics" touch my car so I avoid the dealer at all costs. Tough decision on your part.
Reused all bolts (studs) on my turbo upgrade. In retrospect new studs and nuts should have been ordered. I don’t fear a failure. It just makes the installation easier.

Dan

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Reused all bolts (studs) on my turbo upgrade. In retrospect new studs and nuts should have been ordered. I don’t fear a failure. It just makes the installation easier.

Dan
I know your mechanic. He's very good. He's also very cheap.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

Dan
We should make a guide for upgrading our turbos with small but important details such as this.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
My turbo came with new studs and I bought new nuts. I used them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that the bolts part number is 6510726AA but I couldn't find the torque specs on the install thread. Can anyone please provide them?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I found that the bolts part number is 6510726AA but I couldn't find the torque specs on the install thread. Can anyone please provide them?
That's the M8x1.25 nut. The torque spec is 25 Nm (18.44 ft lbs.).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good luck getting a torque wrench on them!
I used the good and tight torque spec.
Not to be confused with the 2 grunts and a fart torque spec.
Just make sure you don't use the shart torque spec. That's a mess. lol

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
B9A62909-BE13-4620-B3AC-93CF45CE51F7.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts