Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a great deal on a billet aluminum catch can I think will fit our cars and only costs $31.01 (USD) delivered.
Here are the pictures of the item I received:

It is a well made piece and I know car parts. The 300 SRT on the magazine cover was my last show car build.
I have no affiliation with the manufacturer, I just like to save money and want to share what I find with the forum.
Yes, it comes from China and takes a month to get here.
Once I verify it fits you might save more than a few bucks by searching Ebay for a BMW 335 Catch can.

·
813 Posts
Please keep us posted on this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put a stainless steel sponge in my catch can to try and catch more debris. The catch can you ordered looks very similar to the EC catch can as far as the filter goes. I have tried the EC catch can and a Mishimoto catch can in two cars of mine and I can say the Mishimoto works a lot better. I am currently running the EC on the fiat and the mishimoto on a 2011 Hyundai sonata with the 2.4 GDI and I have to empty that thing every thousand miles. I hardly catch anything in the fiat can.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can now confirm that this catch can works with our cars. It uses the exact same diameter hoses as stock.
I'll post pictures of my install in a bit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just search ebay for BMW 335i catch can. Its available in black and silver.
You do not need the kit with the hoses, just the catch can.
Do not buy the one with a breather vent either as it will throw a code.
To install you will need about 2 feet of 5/8th automotive hose and 4 worm clamps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have not noticed any blow by or smoke while driving or shifting but I have heard fiats need to have the AOS cleaned once in a while. Take some pictures of where you put this in in your engine bay, maybe I'll get one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello TX_Bandit,
Would appreciate seeing photos of the installed catch can. Anyone know if installing this item could somehow void the car's warranty?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello TX_Bandit,
Would appreciate seeing photos of the installed catch can. Anyone know if installing this item could somehow void the car's warranty?
I'll try and post a picture. Been holding off as I'm waiting for some fancy braided hoses to arrive but I guess I can post one as-is.
As for the warranty, I used to be part of the DFW Chrysler LX club and EVERY car in the club ran an aftermarket catch can and no one ever got any flack from a dealer. Even if they did complain, reroute one hose and in 60 seconds you are back to stock.

·
Registered
614 Posts

I installed this a few months ago. Got the hoses from Auto Zone and the reducer Dorman- Help 5/8in X 3/4in Plastic Heater Hose Connector
Had to get a piece of aluminum to create the mount and had to modify it after installing the Abarth strut brace. I painted it black.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I installed this a few months ago. Got the hoses from Auto Zone and the reducer Dorman- Help 5/8in X 3/4in Plastic Heater Hose Connector
Had to get a piece of aluminum to create the mount and had to modify it after installing the Abarth strut brace. I painted it black.
Must be different models for sale as the catch can I purchased fit the original hoses with no problem. If it doesn't conflict with forum rules I'm happy to share the link of the eBay vendor.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the listing for the catch can I purchased. The hoses are a direct fit and do not require reducers or adapters
Ebay Catch Can

And here is what mine looks like now that I have added a braided hose cover kit

·
Registered
614 Posts
Must be different models for sale as the catch can I purchased fit the original hoses with no problem. If it doesn't conflict with forum rules I'm happy to share the link of the eBay vendor.
Mine didn't really required an adapter, I was trying to match the EC design as they were OK with people copying it. In case there was a reason for it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here is the listing for the catch can I purchased. The hoses are a direct fit and do not require reducers or adapters
Ebay Catch Can
Thanks for this link and info! I just ordered one. It's coming from Hong Kong and I'm cheap so opted for the free shipping. Will report back here when it arrives and after installation.

·
Registered
398 Posts
@TX_Bandit the catch can arrived. I thought I ordered black but it arrived unfinished, which is actually OK as it looks pretty nice. Is the hose size 5/8" or 3/4"?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
@TX_Bandit the catch can arrived. I thought I ordered black but it arrived unfinished, which is actually OK as it looks pretty nice. Is the hose size 5/8" or 3/4"?
Its 5/8th. And just a hint, auto parts stores usually carry heater hoses. Its a little harder to find, but try to get PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) hose. Its also sold as fuel line hose. Heater hose will work but its thicker and heavier than it needs to be. PCV hose is thinner and easier to route without kinking and has a nice glossy finish. Again, either will work.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Its 5/8th. And just a hint, auto parts stores usually carry heater hoses. Its a little harder to find, but try to get PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) hose. Its also sold as fuel line hose. Heater hose will work but its thicker and heavier than it needs to be. PCV hose is thinner and easier to route without kinking and has a nice glossy finish. Again, either will work.
Good point, would rather use a thinner-walled hose. Also I think PCV hose is more resistant to swelling due to contact with oil.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts