Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
Alright, @TX_Bandit here’s the eBay catch can installed on my 2018 Lusso Red Top. I like how it looks pretty factory. Really straightforward installation. The most difficult thing was that the 5/8” PCV line was a bear to wrestle onto the centermost hose barb, even using a paraffin lubricant. Cleaned all the oil out of the intake tract; what a mess! The old air cleaner looked and weighed like it had 0.2L of oil in it. I’m looking forward to wicking up the throttle without wondering how much oil is being rammed into the turbocharger and intercooler.

Reactions: wrh3 and TX_Bandit

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
Can you let me know what size drill bits you used for the bracket holes? Just ordered on Ebay and will arrive in a week.
Oh shoot, sorry I didn't pay attention to the drill size. They are clearance holes, so they need to be just a tad larger than the screws so the screws pass through easily. I used digital calipers to measure the outer screw diameter and then chose a drill bit that was the closest size just a bit larger. If I remember correctly, the four screws on the can are about 12.5 mm on center. I marked a tick-tack-toe in pencil, center-punched at the line intersections, and drilled the holes. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to clean up the burrs. I cleaned the oils off the steel bracket with CFC brake cleaner (red can) and then painted it with black semigloss high-temperature enamel from a rattle can. I baked the bracket in the oven at 250 deg F to cure it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You guys have a great thread and I’m sticking it. Thanks for all the information and advice. It’s stuff like this that make a great forum.
Hey that's fun! Thanks, Pete! :cool:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Just got the same catch can..quality item for 30£. Seems to work fine.

I used 19mm (3/4) hose which fits fine with a clamp. The barbs on the can are 20mm according to my calipers. That was the oem hose ID so not sure the need for 5/8ths unless I have missed something ?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just got the same catch can..quality item for 30£. Seems to work fine.
I used 19mm (3/4) hose which fits fine with a clamp. The barbs on the can are 20mm according to my calipers. That was the oem hose ID so not sure the need for 5/8ths unless I have missed something?
If it fits - it fits! Not a component that needs exact tolerances

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Indeed!

Sorry just me getting confused and probably misconverting between inches and mm!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
For anyone with EU/UK cars looking to install a catch can....you CAN use the bonnet pop mounting points, you just have to be creative.

To use the nearest bolt to you (looking at the car) remove the yellow connector and re-insert it from the underneath. It moves it out the way, allowing you to fit a bracket and catch can. This puts no additional strain on the wires and keeps everything secured. Here is how I have mine now installed:
1) Yellow tab inserted from underneath

2) Bracket in place, holes drilled supporting can (very sturdy and can be positioned right in that gap:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Maybe a dumb question since I’ve already installed the can, but does it matter which hose connects to which port on the can?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The outlet is the side with the baffle

You can increase the efficiency of this catch can considerably by stuffing one of these into the can

These are stainless steel scouring pads. You can get them on Amazon.
The idea is you give the oil vapor something to cling to as it passes through the catch can.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks @TX_Bandit . And which direction is the flow out/in on the engine?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Reactions: Chaddy and Magoffin

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

The EC thread indicates the INLET for the can is the side with diffuser. Which is how I set mine up.

It actually doesn't matter but can affect efficiency. Itll still work..

BUT the baffle is only secured by hex bolts, so you can swap it round anyway within thr can to suit :)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
The EC thread indicates the INLET for the can is the side with diffuser. Which is how I set mine up.
It actually doesn't matter but can affect efficiency. Itll still work..
BUT the baffle is only secured by hex bolts, so you can swap it round anyway within thr can to suit :)
Based on what I could find, the majority of catch can documentation has the baffle as the exit. PO-tato PA-tato. I agree that it probably doesn't matter.
But I will reiterate that adding the mesh to this model catch can results in a huge improvement in its ability to 'catch' oil.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ah interesting. I struggled to find much documentation. The baffle is moveable so I may switch it over! See how it goes:)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks @TX_Bandit ! I used to recognize a PCV valve back when they were stuck into a rubber grommet on a valve cover. There’s so much mysterious plastic in cars nowadays I had no idea.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
BUT the baffle is only secured by hex bolts, so you can swap it round anyway within the can to suit :)
That's good idea. I'm going to swap the baffle to the other side and eliminate the hoses crossing over each other.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
That's good idea. I'm going to swap the baffle to the other side and eliminate the hoses crossing over each other.
Yep, I'm really impressed by build quality of this for the money. The baffling system is properly done. Thanks to @TX_Bandit for finding it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the black one and installed it yesterday, same location as Magoffin. $27.00. My bracket is not as pretty though, just hand sawed and drilled it and popped it on. Yes the hoses take some work to seat but not too bad. A fair bit of dark oil drained out of old PCV hose after removal, showing the need for this can.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts