Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
The outlet is the side with the baffle
View attachment 75819
Turns out mine is oriented correctly, purely by chance.

You can increase the efficiency of this catch can considerably by stuffing one of these into the can
View attachment 75820

These are stainless steel scouring pads. You can get them on Amazon.
The idea is you give the oil vapor something to cling to as it passes through the catch can.
Also put in one of the stainless steel pot scrubbers per @TX_Bandit 's recommendation to condense more oil vapor. Two won't fit and still leave clearance for the baffle.

The copper-colored residue around the top of the can is copper anti-seize compound.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
Follow-up almost one year later. Air filter and air box are completely clean and oil-free. Very pleased!

·
Registered
2019 Spider 124 Abarth
111 Posts
OK, here's a new question, I measured the OD of the existing hoses and they were 5/8" so I assumed the ID was 3/8" and that's what I bought. I noticed in the pictures above that you used 5/8" ID hose. Any real advantage to a larger hose here? Theoretically you would get more air flow, but isn't the PCV a sometimes open thing anyhow?

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
79 Posts
OK, here's a new question, I measured the OD of the existing hoses and they were 5/8" so I assumed the ID was 3/8" and that's what I bought. I noticed in the pictures above that you used 5/8" ID hose. Any real advantage to a larger hose here? Theoretically you would get more air flow, but isn't the PCV a sometimes open thing anyhow?
PCV is 5/8" but intake is 3/4". The factory hose has 2 different ends on it. I picked up a 19mm (3/4") can on aliexpress and ran a 3/4" hose from can to intake and 3/4" from can to a 3/4" to 5/8" reducer and 5/8" hose from reducer to PCV (about 6" 5/8" hose)

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmmm after reading over this it looks like some of you have a 5/8" PCV AND 5/8" intake. Was there a change on the 2020 MY? No way my intake was taking a 5/8" hose. Was tight with a 3/4" hose

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I went with 5/8" because it was the best fit for the hose barbs on my PCV box and catch can. It was a bit of struggle to get it onto the one leading to the intake tube, which is more like 3/4" / 19mm.

Reactions: 124NC

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went with 5/8" because it was the best fit for most of the hose barbs on my PCV box and catch can. It was a bit of struggle to get it onto the one leading to the intake tube.
Gotcha! Just checking to see if there was a change. Had already planned the 3/4" to 5/8" but tried the 5/8" hoping to get a slightly smaller hose on the 3/4" but after about 10 mins I gave up. Wasn't going so went back to my plan of 3/4" intake lol. No more oil in intake and no oil in catch can so I'm happy. I think most of the oil in intake issue is overfill but either way happy now lol

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Is this the most helpful on intercooler pipe leak? My mechanic advised me to change out the gasket instead.
Sorry, but the catch can has nothing to do with leaks in the intercooler piping. It simply removes excess oil vapor from the air circulated by the positive crankcase ventilation system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@TX_Bandit have you gotten on the AOS delete deal yet? As soon as I get my car back... eventually? I'm going to do the AOS delete and catch can install.

The AOS on the 124 tends to fill itself up way faster than the 500s do, not real clear on why though. Here is a few pics of a friend's setup on his 500, shoot holes in it:

So far he has zero consumption and no CEL/MIL, car runs smoother and it turns out this should have happened years ago.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
@TX_Bandit have you gotten on the AOS delete deal yet? As soon as I get my car back... eventually? I'm going to do the AOS delete and catch can install.
The AOS on the 124 tends to fill itself up way faster than the 500s do, not real clear on why though. Here is a few pics of a friend's setup on his 500, shoot holes in it:
So far he has zero consumption and no CEL/MIL, car runs smoother and it turns out this should have happened years ago.
Wasn't aware of this mod. I found this article on the Fiat 500 Forum. If you read all the way to the end, you'll see the majority of the members don't think much of the idea.
It may work but I'll take a pass on this mod.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wasn't aware of this mod. I found this article on the Fiat 500 Forum. If you read all the way to the end, you'll see the majority of the members don't think much of the idea.
It may work but I'll take a pass on this mod.

No that's 6 years old, I'm talking about the recently sorted out one - as in about 3 months ago. Also I bailed on that forum long ago and far away....long story for another day.

In BFC (Broken Fiat Club, website or fb page) a few of our enterprising individuals hashed this out in conjunction with a catch can earlier this year. So far it's been 100% trouble free.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Is this the article you refering to:

That is all I found searching for AOS delete.
If it is posted on Facebook, that's a hard pass for me. With my software security background, Mark Zuckerberg is the frikkin anti-christ as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Believe it or not no lol, I totally forgot someone went full send on that project a while back.

No I referring to one Edwin did, his car is pictured above, what they did requires no modification to any part. Remove the AOS and install some lines and install a catch can, pretty straightforward actually.

Modified Abarth is where he posted it, faulty memory and WAY too many groups....

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Guess not, another FB group.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
Just something to ponder considering the oil consumption issues the 124s are well known to have ...really quite annoying. My 500 Abarth didn't have consumption issues, well not after a catch can it didn't. The first 2k miles it freaking caked my fmic hoses with oil 😑

Anyhow, I'm going to do my 124 since it's only got 600mi and already has oil in the intake everywhere....

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Just something to ponder considering the oil consumption issues the 124s are well known to have ...really quite annoying. My 500 Abarth didn't have consumption issues, well not after a catch can it didn't. The first 2k miles it freaking caked my fmic hoses with oil 😑

Anyhow, I'm going to do my 124 since it's only got 600mi and already has oil in the intake everywhere....
Please post pics and/or a how to if you do it.

Reactions: Shadowshaggy
41 - 60 of 68 Posts