Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all I dont' know much about car mechanics, just know what I like. I was looking at my car and noticed that in both exhaust pipes there was water and rust. I'd expect then to just be black but I guess I have not had the car long enough. Normal?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Water is normal, particularly in winter - it's a combustion product and often condenses in the line when it's cold.

Rust is another matter. Shouldn't be much in a car that new.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,030 Posts
Do you wash your own car?

Everybody should IMHO, an automated carwash wears out the soft top much faster. As part of the normal hand washing process you start at top of the car and work down to the wheels and last thing you do with the drying towel is give exhaust tips a good wipe. Do that and they stay bright. Otherwise, even when tips are stainless that does not mean 'stainfree' and contaminants will build up and leave rust specs. At the end of the process of washing and drying the car the towel will be slightly dingy and perfect for giving those tips a quick wipe. Do it often and they stay looking decent. Never do it and they will be tarnished and dull and speckled with rust specks quick even when the covers are stainless (which is why they call it 'stainless steel' and not 'stainfree steel'). The metal is not sealed, it will pit if you neglect it long enough. If you have a lot of buildup, grab some metal polish and apply some elbow grease and they will shine up quick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts