Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re Posted to 124 Spider Abarth group Question about the GPS

I am looking at the 124 Spider Abarth and trying to decide on options. I notice that the Luxury Collection with Sirius mentions the GPS where as the Safety and Comfort Collection option does not mention it. That is really the only thing that is important to me in the added package area. My question is can the GPS be activated in the Abarth with only the Safety and Comfort Collection option?
Thank you. BTW...My last Fiat was a 1969 124 Spider. Miss it.
Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
If the package shows navigation capable/ready then yes it can. It's simply purchasing the nav card (there are several available on eBay and some discussions here about them) that are cheaper than getting it from the dealer. You may be able to get them to include it in when you purchase the car. I was able to with no additional cost to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GPS Woes

Now if you can only get traffic updates with that, you would have something useful.

How can any automaker not offer traffic updates with an expensive navigation package? My $99 Garmin has that. Google Map has that for free. Since traffic is the most useful part of a nav system for me, I guess I'm gluing my $99 Garmin to the dashboard of my new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having added the GPS to my FIAT 124 Spider, I expected it to guide me from point a to point b and have been terribly disappointed. There are no 2 days when the view for the GPS is the same, regardless of settings.

But it's a view..the GPS itself simply does not work, unless you want to make 23 turns as instructed for an 8 mile trip that can be done in 2 turns. Has anyone else been having similar issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having added the GPS to my FIAT 124 Spider, I expected it to guide me from point a to point b and have been terribly disappointed. There are no 2 days when the view for the GPS is the same, regardless of settings.

But it's a view..the GPS itself simply does not work, unless you want to make 23 turns as instructed for an 8 mile trip that can be done in 2 turns. Has anyone else been having similar issues?
I haven't really messed around with the GPS yet (I just bought an Abarth with the safety package and added a NAV chip). Although, I did look into the settings menu upon installing the chip and a lot of the settings were off by default and it was set to set routes by shortest distance mileage-wise versus the fastest trip time. I changed those settings to my preferences, but that would be my first thing to look at if you feel it's taking you weird routes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've used the Sat Nav a fair amount, and after some initial problems with the set up ("avoid highways" was checked, with ridiculous results), it has worked fine, albeit without being able to discern traffic problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts