Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone on here got the Mopar wind deflector?

If so:

Was it easy of difficult to install?
Do you find it gets in the way when you reach to close the top?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What's wrong with the deflector that comes with the car?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hmmm looks like cut out of a cheap plastic colander
And the Mopar deflector is priced like a KitchenAid mixer. Also, the sole review was not encouraging. Maybe better to get the Mazda part?

Image result for kitchenaid professional mixer

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found one at half price. That’s why I am tempted.

The Mazda part would be the same, no?

Thanks for the link!

PS - the install instructions linked don’t look too bad, and it doesn’t have any words, in Japanese or otherwise. I wonder what that person received...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's a good find. Do they have more than one deflector available?

Not sure about the Mazda part, though it would figure to be the same.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
M
Anyone on here got the Mopar wind deflector?

If so:

Was it easy of difficult to install?
Do you find it gets in the way when you reach to close the top?

Thanks!
My answers to your questions are yes, a little (I'll explain), and yes (sort of).

I purchased and installed it. The brackets they provide are pretty Frankensteinish, and in reflection, I think the one that MX5things sells is both more economical and less industrial looking. However, with the MOPAR version, you'll never have to worry about it vibrating loose. You'll have to destroy the seat back covers to break it off.

It wasn't overly difficult to install. The only part that really took time was measuring, and measuring again, and again.... before I drilled any holes. You don't want to mess up on that. The templates are pretty good, and what I did is once I taped the template in place, I used a small awl (pick) to mark the centre point for each hole to be drilled. Then I just followed the instructions and it was pretty easy. Their instructions (if you've not bought any other MOPAR parts for the car yet) look like they were designed by the same people that do IKEA assembly guides. lol

I have a high upper torso and long arms, and even so, I have to stretch a bit to push the top down into place. Unlike the factory windscreen, the lack of a centre drop in the plexy makes for a higher reach ot get over it. MX5Things version has both a straight and a centre dropped version.

Hope that helps...

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just thought I'd add - I have a plexi version of the OEM profile - with the cutout in the middle. Installation for that one was very easy - just snap into place. I believe with the larger version they add the braces on each side that requires drilling the holes.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I think the one that MX5things sells is both more economical and less industrial looking. However, with the MOPAR version, you'll never have to worry about it vibrating loose. You'll have to destroy the seat back covers to break it off.

I have a high upper torso and long arms, and even so, I have to stretch a bit to push the top down into place. Unlike the factory windscreen, the lack of a centre drop in the plexy makes for a higher reach ot get over it. MX5Things version has both a straight and a centre dropped version.
I like the Abarth versions.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
And the Mopar deflector is priced like a KitchenAid mixer. Also, the sole review was not encouraging. Maybe better to get the Mazda part?
Hey, that Kitchenaid is the butt-kicker of mixers. It would take the ULTIMATE wind blocker to be on the same level!
:)
best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So much for that. The eBay seller refunded my purchase due to being “out of stock.”

Back to square one.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the Abarth versions.

I’ll give the regular size a shot. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's a picture of my lighted wind blocker. Got it from a company called Wind Restricter. A bit pricey but seems very well made. Installation was fairly easy - wired it directly to the fuse box with an add-a-fuse device. Came with an optional remote to turn it on/off and change colors. The only downside is it's a bit bright in the rear view mirror, but you get used to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts