Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of those bots that supposedly know what you are looking for and automatically put ads on some of your usual info pages presented the Quicktune Performance Economy Programmer Chip, available on Amazon at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7MC95N/ref=dra_a_rv_bb_ho_xx_P1250_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=ed5d3069d582ee471efe3eb87c335c9d_S
It promises to: INSTANTLY STARTS TO SAVES YOU MONEY UP TO 12% GAINS IN FUEL MILEAGE - UP TO 7% MORE HORSEPOWER & TORQUE - SMOOTHER & CLEANER ENGINE PERFORMANCE - OBTAIN LONGER DRIVE TRAIN AND ENGINE LIFE - LOWER YOUR VEHICLE EMISSIONS A SIMPLE 5 MINUTE INSTALLATION - WORKS ON ANY 1996 AND NEWER OBDII EQUIPPED VEHICLE NO WIRES TO CUT OR SPLICE, ITS AS SIMPLE AS PLUG AND PLAY
At $74.95 it seems too good to be true, but it offers a moneyback guarantee.
Anybody have any experience with this?
Recognizing that Eurocompulsion and Madness would not be impartial, I still would be interested in their take.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd wait to hear from EC! That doesn't mean it isn't possible, it just means I personally don't trust their claims till validated.
Drew

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I'll through my opinion in here. It's my opinion that this product will do literally nothing. There are a lot of clues in the ad. They say it works on any 1996 or later vehicle. Think about that for a moment. The differences between a 124 and a Buick LeSaber are pretty massive, how can one engine tuning product service both? Even minor changes prevent one tuning product from working on multiple cars, for example the 124 and 500 Abarths share the same engine and the same basic ECU, but require different tunes.

Let's look at their claims. They all include the phrase "up to" x amount of gains. That includes zero. Now let's consider that 5 minute installation time. It literally just plugs in and is supposed to work. However in order to make any actual change it would have to write to the ECU. That's not going to happen in 5 minuets. Anyone who has installed Euro+Drive or any other real tuning device knows how long it actually takes to write to an ECU. Of course it can't write to the ECU anyway because it can't possibly have the needed software for every car built since 96'. I don't think it writes anything at all, I don't think it does a single thing.

Greg

·
Registered
351 Posts
This guy actually tests one:
His conclusion is that it does not communicate with the car at all, it's programmed just to flash the LEDs randomly so you think it's doing something. It's purely placebo effect/confirmation bias. You think the car is running better because it's supposed to, not because it actually is running any differently.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
This guy actually tests one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytwlDVaFbec His conclusion is that it does not communicate with the car at all, it's programmed just to flash the LEDs randomly so you think it's doing something. It's purely placebo effect/confirmation bias. You think the car is running better because it's supposed to, not because it actually is running any differently.
This video is really good. That guy is legit, and he seems to understand this stuff quite well.

Greg

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
If it's too good to be true, caveat emptor, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I'm not surprised. It was good to get such confirmation that this was a scam.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
This smells like snake oil.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Some of these gimmicks are priced higher than others in an attempt to persuade you that they are not the same junk as the ones who sell for $19.95. That is just a marketing technique. They are all junk. If you really want to try it, get the cheapest one you can find. That way you won't feel like such a fool when you end up throwing it away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
buy one and tell your teen kid that it tracks everywhere you have been, and lets you know when it leaves a predetermined area, and will send you a txt message if it is removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'm a fool or maybe it is a placebo effect but I was dumb enough to buy one ... but it seem to work, my mileage is better that i do know (unless if fools the computer into telling me different) and my car does seem peppier ... whether it works on not all is the question but i know is its already paid for itself in mileage. or like i said its fooling me and the car and I'm just dumb lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe I'm a fool or maybe it is a placebo effect but I was dumb enough to buy one ... but it seem to work, my mileage is better that i do know (unless if fools the computer into telling me different) and my car does seem peppier ... whether it works on not all is the question but i know is its already paid for itself in mileage. or like i said its fooling me and the car and I'm just dumb lol
It's purely the placebo effect. Your gas mileage is better because you're paying attention to it and unconsciously altering your driving habits to improve it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a performance chip for mine from a company called powertune. I was not expecting much when I bought it and it's just ok, no crazy increase in HP but it does give it more pep. If you want a little more kick then I'd recommend it but don't expect to gain a ton of hp. The company also put together reviews on their site from customers. Some just talking about it and some doing 0-60 tests with and without it. power tune performance chip review

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one. I plugged it in to my 1998 bmw m roadster. I instantly noticed an increase in horse power. can't give you numbers, but quite noticeable, After 100 miles I checked my gas mileage. was getting 19 to 20. With the quick tune module I got 24.8.For the $74 dollars I spent, I'm well pleased.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts