Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making my trek across west Texas for the holiday, I noticed the liner of my top was hanging down, obscuring the view out the back. When I stopped for gas, I found that the liner hand come loose from the top. I was able to tuck it back into place by dropping the top about half way and sliding the trailing edge into the groove just above the window. I'll take it to the dealer when I get home next week, or a closer dealer if it happens again.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
349 Posts
While making my trek across west Texas for the holiday, I noticed the liner of my top was hanging down, obscuring the view out the back. When I stopped for gas, I found that the liner hand come loose from the top. I was able to tuck it back into place by dropping the top about half way and sliding the trailing edge into the groove just above the window. I'll take it to the dealer when I get home next week, or a closer dealer if it happens again.

Did you take a closer look trying to figure out why this might have happened? I just hope just to do with whatever clips, etc. are meant to hold it down and nothing to do with the actual material as that won't be a straight forward fix.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you take a closer look trying to figure out why this might have happened? I just hope just to do with whatever clips, etc. are meant to hold it down and nothing to do with the actual material as that won't be a straight forward fix.
I took it to the dealer here in San Antonio today and they looked at it and made sure it was back together the way it is supposed to be. I couldn't leave it with them, so they did not take the top off to get a close look at it. That is what they suggest, if it happens again. We looked at one on the showroom floor and it seems to fit together in the same way, so why it happened is still a mystery. Two things that I did differently on this trip were 1) lower the windows at about 75 mph and 2) run at 138 for a couple of minutes. (For those who haven't tried it, it only runs about 4000 rpms in 6th at 138 mph.) I can't pinpoint exactly what caused the detachment of the lining, but it did occur after the aforementioned episodes.

Reactions: Elaborazione17

·
Registered
560 Posts
It intentionally sits in place without clips, I imagine to keep it from tearing. It's not glued in place our anything like that and it's no big deal to tuck it back in if it pops out. I don't think it to be a defect. Happened to me once in 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It intentionally sits in place without clips, I imagine to keep it from tearing. It's not glued in place our anything like that and it's no big deal to tuck it back in if it pops out. I don't think it to be a defect. Happened to me once in 4,000 miles.
I disagree. Anytime something happens that causes your vision to be obscured or your attention to be averted, it is a defect. If it is happening to you and me, it is likely to become a recall issue.

Reactions: jleo

·
Registered
242 Posts
The MX 5 ND has had a number of similar issues with the clips coming off or not holding the top. Check the Mazda fora.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I took it to the dealer here in San Antonio today and they looked at it and made sure it was back together the way it is supposed to be. I couldn't leave it with them, so they did not take the top off to get a close look at it. That is what they suggest, if it happens again. We looked at one on the showroom floor and it seems to fit together in the same way, so why it happened is still a mystery. Two things that I did differently on this trip were 1) lower the windows at about 75 mph and 2) run at 138 for a couple of minutes. (For those who haven't tried it, it only runs about 4000 rpms in 6th at 138 mph.) I can't pinpoint exactly what caused the detachment of the lining, but it did occur after the aforementioned episodes.
I'm just happy to see someone wringing this car out a bit. Well done sir.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The MX 5 ND has had a number of similar issues with the clips coming off or not holding the top. Check the Mazda fora.
It's just the acoustic liner, not the outer top. I don't think the Mazda has that, does it? I know its added on the Lusso versus the Classico. In any case, takes about 15 seconds to run one's finger under it to slip it back into place from the seat with the top up. I'm 6'2" and found it blocked a bit more of the window but I have to lean down anywqy to see fully out the window to begin with. I've done a lot of driving since and it hasn't slipped out again.

·
Registered
560 Posts
From the Mazda forum - the exact problem:

Hi all!

I have a 2016 ND Automatic GT. The interior roof liner has been becoming "undone" wear it folds just above the back window. So, top gets put down, then when I put the top back up, the roof liner is sagging down partially obstructing the back window. I then have to "re-tuck" it back into the roof. Super annoying.

I have taken my car to the Mazda service department twice. The first time they said they fixed it by adjusting "clips" that hold the roof liner in place. It didn't work. The second time they said there was a service warning from Mazda regarding this issue and ordered additional clips to try and correct the issue. With the additional clips it has not yet fallen again. Fingers crossed.

Just a heads up for all you Miata owners out there.

I guess that would apply to us 124 owners.

·
Registered
76 Posts
4K at 138mph is pretty good. In my '69 Spider, I'm pushing close to 4k at 70mph. Makes long trips kind of tiring and a bit stressful running the little engine that hard for any length of time.

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
I wonder if the inner liner isn't "qualified" for 138? Were the windows down? That must have been pretty noisy!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wonder if the inner liner isn't "qualified" for 138? Were the windows down? That must have been pretty noisy!
I've had mine pop out at around 80 - its the buffeting from having the side windows open with the top up that causes so much movement. (If my windows are down it usually means my top is also down and that doesn't seem to cause the issue.) There are two clips back there - one on each side - that aren't attached to the liner so I'm assuming those are supposed to hold the liner in place. (They seem to have no other function). When i get a moment I'll clip the liner in place and try a fast drive to see that they hold. It would seem to me that an extra clip in the middle would probably solve the issue. I haven't asked the local tech to look into the Mazda service bulletin on how to fix this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This reminds me of that list that was going around a long time ago, talking about the "stereotypical topics" of different car forums. It was meant as a joke, but most of them were dead-on. Here's a link to one of the many copy & paste versions:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/26-off-topic/36938-funny-car-forum-threads.html

My personal favorite was Lamborghini -- "Wind noise around 210 mph :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
This reminds me of that list that was going around a long time ago, talking about the "stereotypical topics" of different car forums. It was meant as a joke, but most of them were dead-on. Here's a link to one of the many copy & paste versions:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/26-off-topic/36938-funny-car-forum-threads.html

My personal favorite was Lamborghini -- "Wind noise around 210 mph :)
I took the car over to my dealer - they are getting very familiar with it in the repair dept - and asked him about the top and he looked and found that the inner liner wasn't attached properly to begin with. (Of course, that could have been left over from when it came loose the first time.) He snapped it back into place and did comment that Fiat hasn't put any sort of a technical bulletin out on it but that if Mazda had one it was likely that Fiat would eventually catch up, possibly with their own solution.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, the highest speed I did with windows down was 75.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I finally sorted out the inner liner thing after pouring through Mazda service bulletins. The inner liner issue is exactly the one on the Mazda - although they specifically mention VINs before January of this year. The cure is two side clips that hold the edging pieces tighter together - the service person is supposed to attach using adhesive. After January, the cars are supposed to have them and, as it turns out, our Lussos already have those clips. And the liner still pulls out! But, as my tech found, one clip had slipped out because they are merely pressed in place and adhesive wasn't used (at least on mine). Now, with nearly 6,000 miles, the liner comes out just from putting the top down and up. It only takes a few seconds to put it back in place but it is getting tedious. He was going to put the fallen clip into place but then dropped it - gone forever somewhere in the bowels of the car. He's ordering one from Fiat (assuming they even know what this part is) and will reattach them with adhesive once it arrives. In the meanwhile, I've gotten some felt strips that I press up into place that seem to help - they keep pressure on the edging. We'll see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any update on the rag top issue? I've had the same thing happen to me. When I tuck it back in it stays for half a day then one bump in the road and it's hanging down again. I see two black clips or plastic ends in there but wonder if i'm missing something that should be there. Can someone post pictures of what it should look like back there please. I know it's a bit awkward to get to but this is starting to ruin my driving experience. 1800 miles on my Lusso and loving it so far but wish I didn't have to deal with this flap of cloth hanging down.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Fiat has no solution and the clips Mazda specified are already on our cars. My solution, after visiting the dealer a bunch of times to snap it back in, was gorilla glue. I put a narrow bead all the way along the inside of the "j-hook" then inserted the edge strip back in from one side to the other. I used some of those black paper clips to hold it over night to be sure it was dry. It's not popped out since. Btw, the proper way to insert it back, glued or not, is with the top most of the way down. (Searched and found the mazda description).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts