Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some footage from the Rally Di Montecarlo 2017 with the Abarth 124 Spider. Definitely some nice listening music and it's pretty cool watching the 124 slide around the turns. There's even some night time on board footage which is pretty cool if you really get into it and zone in lol.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What i'm interested in is seeing how this inspires some regular owners it modifying their 124's into having some rally flavor going on.
Even if its just as simple as rally style wheels, along with other minimal things to complement it. No need to go too crazy.

·
Vendor
3,349 Posts
What i'm interested in is seeing how this inspires some regular owners it modifying their 124's into having some rally flavor going on.
Even if its just as simple as rally style wheels, along with other minimal things to complement it. No need to go too crazy.

I have been thinking along those lines. The actual Abarth Rally car is 300k, way too much for a typical enthusiast. However you could build a reasonable approximation for a lot less.

Personally, I would stick with the 1.4 Turbo. It can be brought up in power quite a bit, probably not enough to match the engine in the actual car, but in the same ballpark. Add in a big brake kit, coilovers, Rally type wheels, roll cage, a skidplate and that roof.

You wouldn't have the Alfa engine, or sequential gear box, but performance would be close enough and it would be about 1/6 the cost.

When these cars are a bit older and off warranty I suspect you will see some projects like this.

Greg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm interested in the suspension. It looks like they have a 5 bolt pattern (vs 4). The original 124 Abarth had a different rear suspension: independent vs the solid axle.

·
Vendor
3,349 Posts
I'm interested in the suspension. It looks like they have a 5 bolt pattern (vs 4).
I have been wondering about that as well. Those are OZ wheels on the rally car. The OZ website shows two styles of wheels for the 124, and both are different from the wheels on the rally car. They also show it with a 5 bolt pattern so it's clearly a photoshop job.

The first image that shows up in google images for a "Fiat 124 with OZ wheels" is my own personal car, which doesn't even have OZ wheels. It has Evo Corse wheels, which are very similar and also a legit rally car wheel.

Regarding the suspension, based on the images I have seen, the attachment points, and maybe the arms look the same, but it appears to have different uprights, which accounts for the different spindles with a 5 bolt pattern. We have seen that before with Fiat group rally cars, so I think that's what's going on. It also has coil overs.

The original 124 Abarth had a different rear suspension: independent vs the solid axle.
Under the skin the Miata was amazingly similar to the original Fiat Abarth 124.

Here is the picture from the OZ site: It shows a 5 bolt pattern, so it's a photoshop job.

Greg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This video shows the cars in the pits. It shows some shots of the suspension, hubs and brakes. Any expert got any opinions on what they have going? Looks stock suspension, but different uprights, as noted above. I really like the look of RWD rally cars, so am interested to see the similarities and differences. Does appear they use the chassis with only minor mods.

Man, these are some nice looking cars...

https://youtu.be/HzkSVyCqNX4

Edit: Don't know how to embed video, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts