Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is going to start using our Abarth more, but we didn't specify rear parking sensors and she would like them fitted. I've contacted a couple of dealers and they don't want to know as the car wasn't specced with them.
I've looked at the aftermarket sensors on offer and some look pretty good - I can get rears fitted for about £150-200 installed - but I'm not comfortable with someone drilling holes in the bumper. I'm perfectly happy to have the sensors there, it's just the drilling that worries me. How will they know to drill at a point with no metal bracket, braces etc. behind? The best way is clearly to remove the rear bumper, which may well have the sensor points marked on it. I've removed the boot trim to see if access could be gained that way, but it can't. Has anyone removed a rear bumper, and how big a job is it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - yes, possibly, but I'll still need to get the wiring in place and I can't access the back of the bumper with it on the car. The kits are so simple I'm tempted to do it myself to ensure things are where I want them, with soldered joints not Scotchloks etc.

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
Has she practiced with the backup camera? I maneuvered my 124 among some super$$$cars in a mechanics garage not too long ago and everybody survived. Could not have done it without the camera.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the UK - no camera, I'm afraid. I've found the MX5 ND workshop manual online which shows how to remove the rear bumper, so hopefully it's not too different from the Abarth.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stuart Clark, on the Facebook Abarth 124 Owner's Club is offering a 50-GBP kit for a backup camera that he has put together. It uses the stock software and looks convincing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but she doesn't like cameras. Much prefers the simple buzzer!
I've ordered a sensor kit with (hopefully) colour coded sensors (difficult to find the code for Costa Brava Red). Just need to get the rear bumper off to ensure the holes will clear the substructure, so any advice welcomed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Managed to talk her into the camera option. I've ordered a kit from Stuart to be installed - not heard anything back yet but there's no great rush.
Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts