Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
They aren't used in North America. Which doesn't mean you can't mod them.
The panel comes out easily with 6 screws and the removal of the reverse bulb. It becomes obvious where the panel is meant to be drilled ( 7/8" bit) and then a little careful sculping with a dremel tool and you can insert a type 7440 bulb socket. I used Philips red led bulbs and wired them in by tapping off the existing drivers side brake light. Camera phone shifts the colour a bit. They are actually very red.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would someone be able to do a DIY write up with pics? I would think its pretty easy to get them working with brakes and the reverse for the middle white light.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Definitely would be really simple wiring but a DIY would be ideal just to ensure. I always wished the wiring would be there but essentially you would be tapping into either the brake lights if you want them to only function when you hit the brakes or the parking lights so they turn on when you turn the signal stalk to parking lights +

·
Registered
669 Posts
There is another thread on this, worth a look. Some good ideas.

1. Wiring them up to the rear brakes as shown above. Easy and great idea
2. Making them work as fogs. Likely add-a-fuse approach with a switch. Or as mentioned to the front fogs
3. Adding a motorcycle brake light flash kit, so they flash a few times at first when you hit your brakes and then stay on. Using the #1 approach. Nice safety feature!
4. If US cars have the flashing of the front turn signals come on during hard braking, tapping into that. Then when you brake hard the rears flash. Really like this idea

Anyway, it does bug me to have a non-functional feature. I have dealt with it before on BMW's and added the need Euro switches to make them work.

Inline Flash option: Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-Strobe-Controller-Flasher-Module/dp/B01HPSZZXQ/ref=pd_lpo_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=594XZYHMT3BD1HTY2QNM

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
They aren't used in North America. Which doesn't mean you can't mod them.
The panel comes out easily with 6 screws and the removal of the reverse bulb. It becomes obvious where the panel is meant to be drilled ( 7/8" bit) and then a little careful sculping with a dremel tool and you can insert a type 7440 bulb socket. I used Philips red led bulbs and wired them in by tapping off the existing drivers side brake light. Camera phone shifts the colour a bit. They are actually very red.
I like what you did! I have a Classica and there are wires going to the driver's side light. Was that wiring on yours? Do you think that is just the fog light harness with nothing actually plugged into it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just FYI, those lower red lights are the rear fog lights for European cars. Fiat does not carry over this function on cars sold here.
Good thing they didn't. The number of Americans that drive with their fog lights on for appearance would mean a rather absurd number of people being blinded by rear fog lights.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good thing they didn't. The number of Americans that drive with their fog lights on for appearance would mean a rather absurd number of people being blinded by rear fog lights.
That is what BMW told me! Basically we are to stupid for such a feature. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is what BMW told me! Basically we are to stupid for such a feature. ;)
I had them on my Volvo c30. They had a separate switch for the rear fog lights for that very reason.

When I used mine on the way to work (in the Lake Michigan fog south of Chicago), coworkers that passed me told me I had a tail light out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
On mine, there was a pair of wires going to the reverse light in the middle and a second connector, (with two wires) but it wasn't connected to anything. I did not check to see if it was somehow connected to the fog light circuit, but that is a possibility. For my newly installed brake lights I ran the wiring up through the grommets in the bottom of the trunk and over to the driver's side tailight. The connector for the taillight had 4 wires, brake+, tail light+ and turn signal+ as well as the ground. I believe i tied in to the light brown wire which if I recall correctly was the brake+, and the black which was the ground. Sorry, I am on the road right now and can't verify the color codes. The wires are a really light guage but as long as you are using LED bulbs, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is another thread on this, worth a look. Some good ideas.

3. Adding a motorcycle brake light flash kit, so they flash a few times at first when you hit your brakes and then stay on. Using the #1 approach. Nice safety feature!

Inline Flash option: Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-Strobe-Controller-Flasher-Module/dp/B01HPSZZXQ/ref=pd_lpo_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=594XZYHMT3BD1HTY2QNM
i have cursory looked into wiring one of these modules. here is the first hiccup i saw. the wiring for the left brake light seems to come down the left side of the car and the right side taillight wiring seems to come down the right side of the car. so i guess i need to look into this closer but it would seem you can't just jump in the and control all of the in the rear section of the vehicle. i need to looking into if you can instead wire in at the brake switch or is this not a direct feed to lights but rather feeds to a computer? need to look into this more.
i think the flashing lights are a good extra attention getter to get other driver's attention when in rush hour traffic

·
Registered
201 Posts
Might be better to tap into the CHMSL feed before it enters the decklid on the driver's side and flash the CHMSL and (if adding LEDs to the lower red lights by the reverse light), flash those as well, rather than the primary brake lights.
Crap! Now you have me rethinking about my wiring.;) I was contemplating adding the quick flash unit to my lower valance install, but I like your suggestion of flashing the center mount light too!. SO instead of pulling the feed from the drivers side brake light I will change it to get the +12v feed from the center mount brake light. I could install the flasher unit inline with the CHMSL and tap off the output to feed the valance brake lights as well.
My "to-do" mod list is growing faster than I can get to it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Got this so it seems maybe they feed from right front near a-pillar. maybe tap into them there? need actual wiring to see if they are all fed on same line. if you decide to use the CHMSL to power the flash module it might cause concerns for some of them that would need powered all the time and not just when you push on the brake. some of them have timers and other things built into them so they don't flash everytime you brake but rather under certain conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
On mine, there was a pair of wires going to the reverse light in the middle and a second connector, (with two wires) but it wasn't connected to anything. I did not check to see if it was somehow connected to the fog light circuit, but that is a possibility. For my newly installed brake lights I ran the wiring up through the grommets in the bottom of the trunk and over to the driver's side tailight. The connector for the taillight had 4 wires, brake+, tail light+ and turn signal+ as well as the ground. I believe i tied in to the light brown wire which if I recall correctly was the brake+, and the black which was the ground. Sorry, I am on the road right now and can't verify the color codes. The wires are a really light guage but as long as you are using LED bulbs, it should not be a problem.
Can you verify if you tapped into the brown wire? Thanks!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look at lamz on enki comp thread he has a great idea for removing the panel altogether

·
Registered
669 Posts
Finally started tackling this mod. I think I had the parts before the car! But several close calls with being rear ended have pushed me to do it.

Here are the parts I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097AA37O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPSZZXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3W0A/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CC8JKSA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So today I removed light pod. Pretty easy, just 6 screws, two cable holders and two light clips to remove. One light socket for the backup light and the other must be just part of the wiring harness for the rear fog light, it just plugs into a dummy. Turning both red lights into brake lights with a fast-blinking 4 times , slow-blinking 4 times when flashing is completed, stays on. So it gets your attention but then goes solid to not be irritating.

I then drilled out the opening slightly smaller than required. Then I used a dremel tool with a drum sander bit to open it up to the right size. Marked size and location of the four taps with a silver Sharpie. Used cutting/drilling bit on the dremel to cut in the slots. Rinsed the light pod out to remove all the black bits. Fitment is very good with a good lock when the sockets are inserted and twisted.

That is all for today.

Next up is the wiring up to the right rear brake light. Need my daughter to help press the brake pedal while I make sure I am tapping into the right wires.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts