Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
Note that it doesn't flash *every* time, and sometimes it doesn't flash at all. If you hit the pedal after a delay and it flashes, subsequent pedal presses will not flash until you wait a while and press it again.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
That would nice if their was an OEM plug and play solution, here's hoping..

Paul
yeah...i've been looking through the ePER FIAT site, looking at drawings (no schematics unfortunately) and I don't see any type of module. But without a schematics...i'm kinda looking through a muddy window at night....

aloha

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Note that it doesn't flash *every* time, and sometimes it doesn't flash at all. If you hit the pedal after a delay and it flashes, subsequent pedal presses will not flash until you wait a while and press it again.
so....I wonder then, if you could tap off of the third light for power to the "added fog lights" ?

then they would flash the same rate. hmmmmm

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
so....I wonder then, if you could tap off of the third light for power to the "added fog lights" ?

then they would flash the same rate. hmmmmm
That's a great question. If you used LEDs, I imagine you could since the amperage draw would be so miniscule.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Led

I added a flashing module to my third brake light last summer and it has worked flawlessly. My plan is to insert a few T20 sockets on either side of the reverse light module and tap into the third brake light setup to power the flashing led bulbs down below.
The weather turned a tad cold for lying on the concrete on my back, so all I have done to date is tested tying in the sockets and led bulbs to my flasher assembly on the third brake light to see if this setup would work. The test was a success and I will pull off the back up light module to do the necessary drilling and wiring to give me the desired effect when the weather warms up.

Note: I tested the set up only using LED bulbs and cannot attest to whether it would work using regular incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I completed the setup using mostly the parts from post #20. I did order a spool of 18 gauge red/black wire. You will need 3-4 feet..

Note that once you remove the middle trunk mat piece, there were two holes with removal plugs directly above removable light bracket. I used one of the holes to run the wires to the rear tail lamp area on the right rear. The plug was pretty flexible and I was able to push it back in snug to the wires. I used some black tape on the body metal as extra protection for the wires so they didnt get punctured eventually by the pressure of the plug.
Tapped to brown wire as indicated in a previous post, and grounded to the screw as indicated in another post.

Waiting to take her out for a ride. Was rainy and 40ish today... Glad I have a garage.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Strange, I don't have this issue at all. No matter how close or fast I press the brake it always starts the flash sequence over without hesitation. Do you have a different module?

On a side note, I think this mod may have saved me. I was at a stop light and a truck was coming at me fast, too fast. I lifted my brake foot and reapplied to flash him. It worked! He hit the brakes. This is another motorcycle safety trick, always look behind you when stopping and give yourself bail out room so you don't get crushed between two cars. Never though my motorcycle experience would come in so handy with a car!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
@Bulldog66 I think @XtremeRevolution is saying his car came from the factory with the flashing third brake light. maybe I misunderstood?

aloha

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
Strange, I don't have this issue at all. No matter how close or fast I press the brake it always starts the flash sequence over without hesitation. Do you have a different module?

On a side note, I think this mod may have saved me. I was at a stop light and a truck was coming at me fast, too fast. I lifted my brake foot and reapplied to flash him. It worked! He hit the brakes. This is another motorcycle safety trick, always look behind you when stopping and give yourself bail out room so you don't get crushed between two cars. Never though my motorcycle experience would come in so handy with a car!!
I do this as well, though never owned a motorcycle. I'm always conscious about who is coming toward me.

@Bulldog66 I think @XtremeRevolution is saying his car came from the factory with the flashing third brake light. maybe I misunderstood?

aloha
Yes, my car did come with that functionality from the factory. I didn't add anything.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
those are just the parking lights,
the brake lights are much brighter
How'd you wire them up? I really want to do it but I'm useless with electrical

·
Registered
29 Posts
those are just the parking lights,
the brake lights are much brighter
Do you have two led's in there? One for brake and one for parking or how did you wire it? I suppose a simple diode would do it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you're not mechanically inclined, i would take it to a shop instead.
You have to remove the lower panel (6x screws), drill holes (7/8), sculpt with a dreml, insert 1157 buldsockets and bulbs, and run the wires up to the rear drivers brake wiring.
And you're done.
One thing I would recommend when you're drilling the holes hold the panel upside down so the debris falls to the ground and not into the panel i found that out the hard way, and it took me a hour to get all the gunk out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just did brake lights with a flash module. Earlier in this topic. Works great. I would read through this entire topic to see your options.

Agreed that black plastic getting inside the housing does happen. I just took it to the sink and fill the housing with water and sloshed it around, 2-3 times got rid of it all. So less than 5 mins

Flashing brake lights have been proven to be much safer, that is why I did brake only with a flash sequence, I want to get attention as much as possible. It has already saved me once from being rear ended by a truck by lifting my brake foot and hitting it again the truck hit his brakes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Finished. Took me several hours but I was taking my time..soldering connection points, wrapping the wiring in automotive wiring wrap and tape.

Drilling the hole is a little difficult as there is a plastic nipple right in the middle of the drill point. (Unless you use a 7/8” hole saw which could help avoid this) I end up using a hot knife on my soldering iron and sliced it off. Then I used a step drill bit. Make sure you center the hole as the lamp connector needs to fit DEAD center. The reason is the round plastic rim (outside of your new hole, which is molded into the base) will interfere with your mounting the lamp connector.

I also wrapped 3M Electrical tape around the lamp base and led bulb. I noticed the LED bulb wasn’t a super tight fit and could be bumped loose while installing.
I also used a self tapping screw to mount my ground point. I just tapped it into the metal right below the area others used the factory bolt as a ground. I didn’t have a big enough circle or spade connector that would fit the bolt. I cut back the black rubber covering the several wires that had the brown which I needed to tap into for the brake power. I used the Posi-Tap and that worked great.

I’m happy with the results.

Sorry I didnt take pictures...I didn’t have my phone on me while I was doing the work.

I did get it later and took a video. I’ll try and attach it.

Aloha Mike

(FYI—-most of the parts I used are from this thread. The only difference was I used some of the red/black wire sleeve I have (3/8 inch) and the tape and wire loom tape. (Which was leftover from my 1966 Barracuda Electrical engine bay overhaul.)

41 - 60 of 98 Posts