Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Finished. Took me several hours but I was taking my time..soldering connection points, wrapping the wiring in automotive wiring wrap and tape.

Drilling the hole is a little difficult as there is a plastic nipple right in the middle of the drill point. (Unless you use a 7/8” hole saw which could help avoid this) I end up using a hot knife on my soldering iron and sliced it off. Then I used a step drill bit. Make sure you center the hole as the lamp connector needs to fit DEAD center. The reason is the round plastic rim (outside of your new hole, which is molded into the base) will interfere with your mounting the lamp connector.

I also wrapped 3M Electrical tape around the lamp base and led bulb. I noticed the LED bulb wasn’t a super tight fit and could be bumped loose while installing.
I also used a self tapping screw to mount my ground point. I just tapped it into the metal right below the area others used the factory bolt as a ground. I didn’t have a big enough circle or spade connector that would fit the bolt. I cut back the black rubber covering the several wires that had the brown which I needed to tap into for the brake power. I used the Posi-Tap and that worked great.

I’m happy with the results.

Sorry I didnt take pictures...I didn’t have my phone on me while I was doing the work.

I did get it later and took a video. I’ll try and attach it.

Aloha Mike

(FYI—-most of the parts I used are from this thread. The only difference was I used some of the red/black wire sleeve I have (3/8 inch) and the tape and wire loom tape. (Which was leftover from my 1966 Barracuda Electrical engine bay overhaul.)
Ok. Wow. So over my head. Strongly doubt this mod can be done by me. I waffle daily between yes I can and good grief no....

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
My Abarth doesn't have a flashing brake light either. Could it be part of an option package perhaps?
I have the Comfort and Convenience group, but that's all.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My Abarth doesn't have a flashing brake light either. Could it be part of an option package perhaps?
My Abarth is loaded, and no flashing 3rd light. Maybe a running change due to reports. Given the size of the car and that the brake lights are not attention getters it is a good thing. I think my lower flashing lights with LED more than double the attention, exspecially at night. I should not have waited so long.

It wasn’t that hard, you just have to take your time. I used waterproof crimp connections so I would not have to solder in tight spots, crimp then a heat gun. I did slide shrink tubing on top as well and heat gunned that. The openings for the sockets was the hardest but I just did it on my kitchen island with good light, maybe 30 mins or so total for that.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
So I tested all manner of brake applications last night, no flashing observed at all.

Does anyone have a stock flashing brake light other than XR?

Should we start a new thread to poll the community? I'm intrigued / confused?

Actually, I was a little disappointed because what I think I saw XR demonstrate (that whether it flashes or not has to do with time elapsed since last brake application) seemed an excellent idea to avoid annoying the %^$# out of other motorists in stop and go traffic. Also, if you flash to often, you lose the effect - it becomes normal and the brain ignores it.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket flasher modules with this time sensitive ability? Seems like a great idea to me.

Regardless, I have a whack of stuff inbound from China, including all sorts of LEDs, so will be doing a video article on how to do this when it arrives...could be a couple of months though!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I totally get your point about potentially annoying people but I don’t care. It was not having that time delay that saved me from being rear ended by lifting and reapplying the brake with the flash to get his attention. This method has work many times on my motorcycles. However I am very aware of it, when I apply the brake for a light or whatever I keep my foot on the brake to not have it keep flashing.

But knowing if I lift and apply again will cause a flash is a huge safety thing for me at least.

I think it even shouts “hey idiot” and a robotic hand on a drone slaps the back of their head.

Oh, to dream

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So I tested all manner of brake applications last night, no flashing observed at all.

Does anyone have a stock flashing brake light other than XR?

Should we start a new thread to poll the community? I'm intrigued / confused?

Actually, I was a little disappointed because what I think I saw XR demonstrate (that whether it flashes or not has to do with time elapsed since last brake application) seemed an excellent idea to avoid annoying the %^$# out of other motorists in stop and go traffic. Also, if you flash to often, you lose the effect - it becomes normal and the brain ignores it.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket flasher modules with this time sensitive ability? Seems like a great idea to me.

Regardless, I have a whack of stuff inbound from China, including all sorts of LEDs, so will be doing a video article on how to do this when it arrives...could be a couple of months though!
I for one am really looking forward to that one

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
Thanks to OP for creating this thread and to Bulldog66 for listing the parts needed. I ordered the same Philips bulbs and the sockets you listed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks to OP for creating this thread and to Bulldog66 for listing the parts needed. I ordered the same Philips bulbs and the sockets you listed.
If you have any questions let me know. Glad to help

·
Registered
410 Posts
One thing I would recommend when you're drilling the holes hold the panel upside down so the debris falls to the ground and not into the panel i found that out the hard way, and it took me a hour to get all the gunk out.
I've done something to myself much like this. I used a cotton swab wet with alcohol to "grab" the tiny bits.

On a bike, cars are even LESS likely to see you unless you're driving like an ass or your exhaust is loud enough to disrupt their crack their mirrors when you drive by. A brake light that flashes gets the attention of the driver on a slightly less-than-conscious level, and it does speed up reaction time. Please, dear government, do NOT make this mandatory on all cars! Because when everyone is special, no one is.

I've been itching to do "something" with that lower bulb housing. It's obvious a bulb should be in those sockets. I figured they were euro spec rear fogs.

That very upscale website looking Pulse thing that says they refuse to sell their product direct to consumers or even over the Internet at all. In fact, I didn't even see a MSRP listed. There are A LOT of options for motorcycles which will work perfectly well for any 12V system, and any respectable shop can install it for you. It's not rocket science, and you could probably even call some bike shops and ask if they stock one and could put it in your 124, either for the center high-mount or newly created center low mounts.

I still haven't quite decided yet...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't seen any mention in this thread of setting these up to augment the reverse lamp, but that seemed like both the simplest and the most useful thing to me.

I used LEDs to minimize load on the existing reverse lamp wiring, as well as for durability. My photo doesn't show it well but the white lamps shining through the red lenses do look red, though not quite as deep a red as the brake's. At 50 lumens each they might throw about as much light as the center reverse lamp with its reflector and clear, plain lens, but it's enough of an improvement to be worthwhile for me. Sort of like how the brake lights make an improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So holes all drilled out nicely.
All I need to do is get those darn black bits of stuff out of the light housing. Grrrrrr...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Does it matter which of these are connected to hot?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, the ground wire should be going to the bulb's ground contacts, especially if you might use LED bulbs sometime in the future.
They will be LEDs.
Any idea how to tell which ones on the light are ground?
Sorry fellas. I'm terrible at electrical stuff.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, the ground wire should be going to the bulb's ground contacts, especially if you might use LED bulbs sometime in the future.
They will be LEDs.
Any idea how to tell which ones on the light are ground?
Sorry fellas. I'm terrible at electrical stuff.
Found it. Disregard. Haven't done this much electrical since I changed the lightbulb in my lamp 6 months ago. Lol

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
All I need to do is get those darn black bits of stuff out of the light housing. Grrrrrr...
TOM, shop vac, vacuum.>:)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
TOM, shop vac, vacuum./forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
I actually tried that. No joy.
I ended up rinsing the whole darn thing with water about 5 times then dried inside with a hairdryer.
Got them all

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wash them out with lots of water. That worked great for me

61 - 80 of 98 Posts