Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
All done. Works like a charm. Not bad for a guy who can barely change a lightbulb.
Now I just wish they would come in at night with the regular rear lights and then get brighter and flash when I hit the brakes... anyone set theirs up like that?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I am getting already a head ache cause can't figure out which is top or bottom left or right of the picture,:confused: Tom can't you put a gyroscope on your camera, you know, the one you have in the plane.>:)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Lol. The top of each picture is "up"

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Guys, you're killing me, stop with these mods.:crying:

Today I had to get under the car, remove the reverse light and then drill the 2 holes and dremel it so I can put the light sucket. First hole went well, second hole my dremel starts screwing up on me and hole was slight large and I had to use some of my ingenuity to fastened the sucket. I put a screw.:laugh::laugh:

Soldered the wires, then insolated and used a shrink wrap, put it back, passed the wire and I need a rest now.

When I get the module and led lights then it will be 10 minutes job. I see you want some pics, well not now when job is finished.

Thanks to TREETOPFLYER who sent me the sockets.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
All done. Works like a charm. Not bad for a guy who can barely change a lightbulb.
Now I just wish they would come in at night with the regular rear lights and then get brighter and flash when I hit the brakes... anyone set theirs up like that?

The old-school lights that worked that way used a dual-filament bulb, so one filaments lit with the tail lights (i.e. when headlights were turned on) and the second was powered by the brake light switch, making them brighter when braking.

To replicate that you would have to do one of two things:

1) Find the LED equivalent of a dual-filament bulb and use a dual-filament socket (4 points of contact inside instead of just two), or

2) Drill an extra pair of holes in the housing and have one pair of LED bulbs wired to the tail light circuit, and the other pair wired to the brake light circuit (with or without flasher module)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had promised @Treetopflyer some pictures of my wiring setup so here they are, 20180628_204538_1530244136098.jpg
it looks like black is negative and the other two wires go attached to the red and brown wire
I'm assuming the brown is for the parking lights and the red is for the brakes.
20180628_204257_1530244145695.jpg
hopefully this can help you guys out

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I had promised @Treetopflyer some pictures of my wiring setup so here they are, View attachment 60402
it looks like black is negative and the other two wires go attached to the red and brown wire
I'm assuming the brown is for the parking lights and the red is for the brakes.
View attachment 60404
hopefully this can help you guys out
Ahhhhh the other one is on the red. That was my question. Thanks @Destructo.
Much appreciated. It would be very easy to rewire mine for that.
Next rainy day maybe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Guys, you're killing me, stop with these mods./forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_crying.png

Today I had to get under the car, remove the reverse light and then drill the 2 holes and dremel it so I can put the light sucket. First hole went well, second hole my dremel starts screwing up on me and hole was slight large and I had to use some of my ingenuity to fastened the sucket. I put a screw./forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png/forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png

Soldered the wires, then insolated and used a shrink wrap, put it back, passed the wire and I need a rest now.

When I get the module and led lights then it will be 10 minutes job. I see you want some pics, well not now when job is finished.

Thanks to TREETOPFLYER who sent me the sockets.
Glad I could help Frank

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
How do you unclip the wire holder (white) from the frame in the trunk.

Also there's a RED wire going to the Reverse light housing, but it's hooked to the housing and dies there. Anyone know what's that for or is it live or what. tia

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well today I noticed my fancy lower flashing brake lights were inop. Crap.
Through trial and error I noticed:
-the flasher module went toes up already. That didn't take long to die. When I wired around it power went to the lights.
-for some reason one of the LED sockets stopped working as well. Not sure what's going on there.
I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem every month. Not sure why the flasher module died so quick and even more baffled why one of the sockets for the bulbs caved.
Tomorrow is re-wiring day. Very frustrating.
The only thing I can think of for the flasher module is cheap crap from china and for the socket could be moisture. Other than that I'm stumped. All electrical connections are solid.

·
Registered
279 Posts
-the flasher module went toes up already. That didn't take long to die. When I wired around it power went to the lights.
-for some reason one of the LED sockets stopped working as well. Not sure what's going on there.
I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem every month. Not sure why the flasher module died so quick and even more baffled why one of the sockets for the bulbs caved.
The only thing I can think of for the flasher module is cheap crap from china and for the socket could be moisture. Other than that I'm stumped. All electrical connections are solid.
When I installed my lights on the rear lower panel I added a little bit of clear silicone adhesive around the sockets before I remounted the panel,
To make sure it would be watertight.

Since I used my Dremel to make the holes for the sockets there might be small gaps were water or moisture could get in so with the silicone it just seals all that up.
it's not a very strong adhesive but it will protect the sockets and LEDs from moisture
It's easy enough to take off the sockets if you end up having any problems.

but more than likely if you buy good quality LEDs they should last for years.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Tom by the time I finish posting here(cause is very slow) you'll probably finish fixing your problem. >:)>:)
You should solder all your connections except I clipped the brown wire to get the + voltage.
Make sure your bulb snugs well into the sucket and almost all electronic components are made in China.

BTW thanks for sending me a CHEAP CHINESE FLASHER MODULE.>:) Know I have to woory.:eek:

And above all invest in some Chinese volt meter.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When I installed my lights on the rear lower panel I added a little bit of clear silicone adhesive around the sockets before I remounted the panel,
To make sure it would be watertight.

Since I used my Dremel to make the holes for the sockets there might be small gaps were water or moisture could get in so with the silicone it just seals all that up.
it's not a very strong adhesive but it will protect the sockets and LEDs from moisture
It's easy enough to take off the sockets if you end up having any problems.

but more than likely if you buy good quality LEDs they should last for years.
LED bulbs are still good. (They were $$$). One socket is still good. One socket and the flasher module is dead already.
Too coincidental having them both fail simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
TOM that SUCKS>:)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Did the mod this weekend. Happy with the results.! Thanks for all the information.
When I did mine, I found my biggest challenge was getting the screws back in place when I re-mounted the light housing back into the rear bumper. It was more by blind feel and praying that I didn't drop the screw while doing it. lol I wired mine in as functional rear fog lights, not brake lights, and mounted the control switch just above the hood release down by my left knee when I'm sitting in the driver's seat. I'm very happy with the results, and a big tip of the hat to BillaVista for the instructions on his web site. Those were gold when it came to modding the light housing to add the bulbs and get the wriing in place.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts