Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Abarth didn't come with a rear tow hook cover, so the dealer ordered one for me and had it painted. The color was wrong and I'm fighting with them to try to get them to match the color, but that's a whole separate story.

Anyway, when I went to the body shop today to get it repainted, they showed me ANOTHER Fiat 124 Spider tow hook cover that just came in to get painted.

Was that just a coincidence, or is this really a common problem? Has anybody else received a car without the rear tow hook cover?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine was missing too. Bought it at Motor Village Fiat in L.A. It was like pulling teeth to get it replaced. They had terrible follow up. When I finally got it, the color was also off on mine.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I believe the cars are shipped with the tie-down hooks installed and the hole covers loose in the vehicle.

I'm not sure if the destination port personnel remove the hooks and install the hole covers, or if that is part of dealer prep. I'm inclined to think that the carriers use those same hooks, so that would lead me to believe that this is a dealer prep item and that the hook covers are getting lost somehow at that particular dealer. That would also explain why some customers find both tie down hooks in their trunk, some just the front hook, and some find no hooks at all.

I'll bet money that one customer perhaps complained about a scratched or missing cover, so it was replaced from another vehicle and it keeps snowballing until someone gets their car with a missing cover and doesn't complain. After all, how is that dealer getting these covers so fast to repaint?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was missing too. Bought it at Motor Village Fiat in L.A. It was like pulling teeth to get it replaced. They had terrible follow up. When I finally got it, the color was also off on mine.
So then that's 3 that I know of already. Did you eventually get the color matched properly? The body shop insisted that they used the exact paint code for Bianco Gelato, but it wasn't even close. I'm about ready to make them take the car and keep repainting it until it matches.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That would also explain why some customers find both tie down hooks in their trunk, some just the front hook, and some find no hooks at all.

Dang - I just have one tow hook and have a manual abarth. Am I missing one??? How do I tell witch one I have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I only have one but figured they're only used one at a time to pull you out of a ditch. If they are shipping tie downs, there ought to be two. What else are they good for? Would they use them to secure the car to a rollback when you can't motivate on your own?
How do we get the truth?

·
Banned
25 Posts
Missing it too... they sent me one but its a dark rubber color, not jet black, complained, and now they are ordering a second one and they will paint it and resend it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 2019 was missing its rear tow eye cap / cover when I bought it about a month ago. It was also missing all 4 valve stem caps.

The dealer mailed me a tow eye cap but it was the front one which is slightly smaller and does not work for the rear hole.

The rear tow eye cap, I found on mopar.com part number 6kf49tzzaa for $6.84. Also found the set of 4 valve stem caps on mopar dot com, part number 82213718AB, for $16.07

www mopar dot com does not sell the needed paint but store dot mopar dot com does sell the paint. They have spray and touch-up-pen versions. The spray paint worked great for the cap.

I used the clear coat from the touch-up pen but it uses a foam applicator that, in my novice hands, created a bunch of clear stripes. Yuck. I wet sanded the clear coat layers away and repainted, but with no clear coat. I reckon I will seek a spray-able clear coat at the local car parts store and see how that goes!

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
This is so bizarre. Never heard of missing rear tow hook covers till I saw this post. You wonder, "How could anyone at a dealer leave such an obvious open hole in the back of a vehicle?". As a parting thought, if you've not already done so, check all the potential storage areas in the vehicle... the two hidden hatches behind the seat backs, and take a flashlight and look under the seats as well. If they just laid it on the floor it could easily slide under a seat.

Unrelated, but while searching for some other stuff yesterday, I happened to notice that some of the UK parts resellers have some decent deals on the three "red bits" for the Abarth models.... the front tow hook cover, the lower spoiler trim, and the mirror caps. Exterior Styling - Desira Parts 92 quid is pretty decent if memory serves ($120 USD or $160 CAD).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah I looked all through the car for the missing cap. If it's there I couldn't find it! I did find some painted ones on Ebay, of course.... But no reason to drive around with the hole - the part and the paint turned out to be easily available, so I figured I'd add the part number here for the next guy. I suppose I should thank the dealer for leaving the hole capless. Nobody in ther right mind would buy a brand spankin' new car that's missing parts like that, which opened the door for me, in my definitely-not-right mind, to buy the car at a fantastic discount!

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I got mine the cover was on, but when I went back to the dealer it pop out in the highway, the dealer order me one, but I also bought another set just in case.

·
Banned
39 Posts
When I went to pick up my Abarth I found that missing also. Having a suspicious mind I thought it was a dealer trick. Luckily there was another white Spider there so the salesman just went over and ‘swapped ‘ it for me. At last I now know that with this instance so common I can eliminate my dealer trying to pull a fast one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts