Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, does anyone have any pics of the Recaro's? And are they lighter than the standard seats which I believe are around 30lbs?

Cheers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi folks, does anyone have any pics of the Recaro's?

Cheers.
Hi Ant, if you Google Image Search "Abarth 124 Spider Recaro" you'll get plenty of results!

If there's something particular about the seat you'd like photographed let me know, I have them fitted to mine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Brilliant Pete, thank you mate. How do you find the comfort factor?
Superb. We've been for several full day trips on our typically rough country roads.

(As an aside the Abarth's comfort and handling is leagues ahead of the harsh suspension of our previous BRZ S. I honestly don't see how it could possibly be improved on, at least not for Australian roads.)

Initially I'd get pain behind my knees on long trips, but found adjusting the bolster down alleviated this (and it hasn't happened since).

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Superb. We've been for several full day trips on our typically rough country roads.

(As an aside the Abarth's comfort and handling is leagues ahead of the harsh suspension of our previous BRZ S. I honestly don't see how it could possibly be improved on, at least not for Australian roads.)

Initially I'd get pain behind my knees on long trips, but found adjusting the bolster down alleviated this (and it hasn't happened since).
Seeing as I have an Abarth and a BRZ (with the S suspension) sitting side by side in the garage for direct comparison right now, I have do say that there isn't a lot in it for ride comfort. The Abarth is a bit more jiggly, the BRZ a tiny bit more abrupt. But they are not leagues apart.

We'd have gone Recaros on he Abarth if we could have but we'd have missed out on a Launch Edition if we did. I had Recaros on my Megane RS and they were great seats. The Abarth's non-Recaro seats are by no means bad seats...but I think the BRZ's are slightly better as is the driving position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies lads, greatly appreciated! Just about sells it for me, although hearing the Recaro's will save on weight will seal it for me at this stage.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Thanks for the replies lads, greatly appreciated! Just about sells it for me, although hearing the Recaro's will save on weight will seal it for me at this stage.
You won't regret them as seats.

Reactions: MotoPete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you my friend, I'm, 99.9% there on these. The weight question is purely curiosity at this point :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seeing as I have an Abarth and a BRZ (with the S suspension) sitting side by side in the garage for direct comparison right now, I have do say that there isn't a lot in it for ride comfort. The Abarth is a bit more jiggly, the BRZ a tiny bit more abrupt. But they are not leagues apart.
What can I say, I owned the BRZ S for 3 years, I have to disagree. :)

The majority of the country roads up here are spray sealed (simply bitumen sprayed onto compacted dirt and rolled with an aggregate). For an example, the run down into and out of Megalong Valley (Megalong Road) is rutted from the horse floats, buses, and trucks; not to mention from the tree roots lining the road. There are pot holes and wash outs. It's not exactly the finest of engineering feats.

Our BRZ S's suspension would crash it's way on the run down into and out of the valley. On a spirited run it was not unusual for the bottom of the vehicle to make contact the road surface. The ride quality was simply jarring.

The Abarth just doesn't display such tendencies. On a run this past weekend it was composed and the only contact with the road surface was from the plastic flap in front of the front wheels, under heavy breaking into a hairpin bend across a rippled section of bitumen. I certainly wouldn't say the ride quality was plush (there was still a fair bit of jiggling involved!), but is was significantly more comfortable than the BRZ S's and I've no hesitation in saying it resulted in a faster run (if for no other reason than only a sadist wouldn't back off when the hard bits start hitting the road...)

If you ever bring your BRZ up to Sydney I'm more than happy to take you for a trip out there! ;)

Granted however, on a smooth road it's hard to match the BRZ S's handling. On the 70 km/h (sign posted) tight 270 degree loop from the Cahill Expressway up onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge it could embarrass cars double or triple it's worth! >:)

Unfortunately Sydney is just not blessed with many such roads so we find the Abarth a far better all-round proposition.

We'd have gone Recaros on he Abarth if we could have but we'd have missed out on a Launch Edition if we did. I had Recaros on my Megane RS and they were great seats. The Abarth's non-Recaro seats are by no means bad seats...but I think the BRZ's are slightly better as is the driving position.
The leather/alcantara seats in the BRZ S were very nice. No complaints there! :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Gee...on the roads I've driven both cars on, I don't think they are poles apart for ride. But maybe I avoid REALLY bad roads. From a handling perspective, I think the BRZ is the slightly sharper tool...but it's not by a lot. I've always run sticky rubber on the BRZ. The low grip Prius rubbish is not for me.

Reactions: MotoPete

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, are the Recaro lower in seat height than the standard Abarth seats? I have the standard Abarth and I'm sitting too high, I'd prefer a lower position.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi, are the Recaro lower in seat height than the standard Abarth seats? I have the standard Abarth and I'm sitting too high, I'd prefer a lower position.
I believe so, though when I've the chance this week I'll take some measurements against reference points (with photos) that perhaps you could measure against in your own car to compare.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I have the Ricaro seats. I was lucky that I found an Abarth with those seats and the Brembo brakes. Winter hit fast and hard here and I determined I won't take the car out in the snow and salt. However, when I need a break, relaxing sitting in the car has been enjoyable. During the couple drives we took before the snow hit, I can tell you my wife fell asleep on the second ride moments after commenting on how comfortable the seat was. :)
I don't know what they weigh, or how to get that for you, but I will take some dimensions today and a couple of photos and post them later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thank you for the info.
It's difficult to precisely measure the seat height, which is basically the parameter I'd like to know...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the Ricaro seats. I was lucky that I found an Abarth with those seats and the Brembo brakes. Winter hit fast and hard here and I determined I won't take the car out in the snow and salt. However, when I need a break, relaxing sitting in the car has been enjoyable. During the couple drives we took before the snow hit, I can tell you my wife fell asleep on the second ride moments after commenting on how comfortable the seat was. :)
I don't know what they weigh, or how to get that for you, but I will take some dimensions today and a couple of photos and post them later.

Stelvio ... I was cruising Fiat dealerships in the Ohio area (I am originally form Mansfield) on FiatUSA, and I think that I saw your car in or near the Akron/Cleveland area??? yes/no? beautiful car, and I loved the look of the Recaro seats.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Stelvio ... I was cruising Fiat dealerships in the Ohio area (I am originally form Mansfield) on FiatUSA, and I think that I saw your car in or near the Akron/Cleveland area??? yes/no? beautiful car, and I loved the look of the Recaro seats.
You very well may have. It was at a Youngstown dealer. Bob and Chuck Eddy Fiat. They sold the manuals that they had as they were discounting them $2800 to clear them out before winter. I grabbed the aluminum because 1. It was an Abarth 2. It had no other options except the Recaro seats and the Brembo brakes. My spidey senses told me that was a rare combination and I made the impulse deal after a test ride. Later, I found out just how rare this combination really was!
Congratulations! Mansfield is a good place to be from. I do want to do a track day down at Mid-Ohio though after I attend the Bondurant training.

·
Banned
425 Posts

I measured 7.5 inches from the floor to the top of the front of the seat with the adjustment all the way down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would have loved the Recaro's in my Fiat 124. I have sat in them in an MX5 and they are brilliant, so much better than the standard seats.
Unfortunately overhear in the Netherlands (and probably all of Europe) they are not an option, not even on the Abarth. I inquired to get them from a Mazda dealer, but a staggering €7500 for the driver's seat only, was a bit overpriced in my opinion.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I would have loved the Recaro's in my Fiat 124. I have sat in them in an MX5 and they are brilliant, so much better than the standard seats.
Unfortunately overhear in the Netherlands (and probably all of Europe) they are not an option, not even on the Abarth. I inquired to get them from a Mazda dealer, but a staggering €7500 for the driver's seat only, was a bit overpriced in my opinion.
Well as much as I like them, at $8,000 for one I might rip it out and sell it to you.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts