Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the Record Monza system currently out for the Abarth 500 platform seems to be particularly unreliable. A cursory glance through numerous online forums suggests that the spring valve is particularly prone to sticking/failure.

" I've just had my monza exhaust replaced in my new 595 after 1100 miles. My valve was seized completely shut too and I noticed zero difference between revs. " - http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth/new-record-monza-and-already-broken/

"My 595 Competizione is a mere 6 months old and has covered just over 4000 miles. As I was underneath the car anyway having a poke around (OCD tendencies) I thought I would check the Monza valve operation as I know that they need 'owner participation' and cannot be left between services! Mine was stuck solid! " - http://www.abarthownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=894.0

My question is to Abarth owners in the EU who have the Record Monza as standard; have you had any issues so far with the valve sticking open? Is the valve similar in shape to the exhaust in the 500, or is the new 124 iteration improved/ less likely to fail?

·
Registered
575 Posts
We can only hope that it is improved and they've seen the complaints and addressed them. Is there anyway that anyone knows of to maybe aid in ensuring it continues to move and operate smoothly? Some sort of preventative maintenance thing?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We can only hope that it is improved and they've seen the complaints and addressed them. Is there anyway that anyone knows of to maybe aid in ensuring it continues to move and operate smoothly? Some sort of preventative maintenance thing?
From what I've heard people recommend lubricating the valve which can be accessed from under the car as much as possible, but even that doesn't seem to be enough in all cases. Hopefully someone in the EU who has the exhaust can chime in on if there's has gotten stuck yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Update on this, as my Record Monza started to change how it sounded a around 5000kms.

I jumped under the car and could not manually operate the valve. I soaked it with some WD-40 for 5 minutes and got some movement back. I soaked it again and cleaned the top and bottom points of articulation with a small toothbrush. By this point it could move relatively freely. I applied some grease to both points of articulation, worked the grease into the mechanism and it seems fine now.

Two things:

Mine was clogged up with carbon and not rust. I can't see any evidence of rust yet and I drive mine in the rain.

The spring is quite stiff to operate, even with a little bit of 'stickiness' to the operation, it became very hard to manually operate.

I hope this helps for those who find the same issue, my advice is to check valve operation regularly. I will keep you updated as to whether the issue occurs again and how long it takes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks like the valve on my monza exhaust is stuck - any advice on getting it moving again?

The best I've come up with by following link and searching is to use some XCP ONE and then regular use of 3-in-1 Anti-Seize Copper Grease. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks like the valve on my monza exhaust is stuck - any advice on getting it moving again?

The best I've come up with by following link and searching is to use some XCP ONE and then regular use of 3-in-1 Anti-Seize Copper Grease. Any other recommendations?
I brushed off the excess material (in my case it was carbon build up, it could be rust too), then I liberally applied a penetrant and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Once it had sat for an extended period of time I gave the valve a few light taps with a hammer until the action freed up. Once freed up and operable by hand I applied some hi-temperature nickel anti-sieze to the articulate/hinged part and repeatedly worked the valve by hand to ensure the grease moved into and around the point of articulation. Once I fired up the car, I figured the heat would allow the grease to work it's way in further. I applied a fair bit of grease to make sure a bit would work in, excess will simply fall off over time.

We have just finished winter over here, plenty of rain where I am from and the Monza is operating perfectly, so I am happy with the maintenance fix.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you may try some marvel mystery oil in a pump oiler, or some other which specifically attacks carbon buildup. with the fact these turbo engines are designed to run rich, there will always be an abundance of soot (carbon) in the exhaust system....

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok, the service department are looking at freeing up the valve as I write this.

One question. Does the valve actually improve performance in any way, or is it just the sound that changes? I've searched through all the threads on the forum (and Google) and cannot find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
It does not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,
I have the sense the valve of my 6 months old :-( Abarth is stuck, but not sure. I blame the winter cold weather but again guessing here.

How could I know? Could you please help?
Pics of where it is and how to clean / oil it?

How often is this maintenance expected (manual says nothting)!!!

Best

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not the best photo but just popped out to my car and took this. You don’t need to climb under to see it.

You can see the spring/lever near top of photo and then the other end on the underside of the exhaust. I put some WD40 and then some high temp anti-seize on it ( Permatex Nickel Anton seize). The spring/flapper May be a little stiff but you should be able to move it by hand.

TheSalamander.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Glad you posted the picture. I applied anti- seize around the spring area. I really had no idea where to apply it. Now I do, thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Harts / Salamander, it helps a lot, seems very accessible (I was thinking of going to a service and get it lifted!)
Will keep you posted.

My old gsxr had similar problem with the exhaust valve, I put lots of oil in the cable and the issue was solved for a long time.
If it is just a once a year fix I guess is not so bad...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Mine is getting installed this Monday, should I tell the dealer to apoly the lubricants that same day?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts