Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, unfortunately this one has had a bump in its life and will need correcting. So I'm making a checking fixture based on the Lusso hardpoints to act as a guide.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
280 Posts
Got my new to me RM over the weekend. Had to free up the valve using rust penetrant and it now moves freely. When you're applying the anti seize to the shaft do you just apply it to both "ends" of the flapper shaft or work it into where the shaft passes through the muffler tube housing? The spring tension seems high so I'm looking to replace it with a lighter one. Have to figure where it can be sourced. Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wonder if anyone has removed it entirely and does that make it too loud at normal driving speeds rather than just at the higher end of the rev range?

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
280 Posts
Not sure how you'd get the flapper out of the exhaust tube/housing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh! ok. Never seen one in the flesh. Maybe just remove the spring? Would that work?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I suppose you could remove the spring and then wire it in the "open" position using mechanic's wire if you wanted it in the "loud mode" all the time.

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
I have played with that valve a bit, removed the spring, tried a different spring, wired it into the open position, none of these things improved it. Abarth got it right in the first place. It really is very good as is.

Greg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts