Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the US I'm having a hard time finding the acc that give that red pop to the European abarths. It's a look everyone seems to want that look especially on the white Abarth. The dealer I got my car from had done the heritage stripe done in a vinyl and it is flawlessly done. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the same could be accomplished with a vinyl wrapped on the lower lip, tow cover, and mirror caps. The red is very popular and for good reason but if I go with vinyl I could try different colors.

I would really wonder how an orange
https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/copy-of-orange

electric blue https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/gloss-smurf-blue

would look instead. I will probably just do the

red
https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/copy-of-aluminum-brushed-steel

but it's a thought.

I don't know much about vinyl wrapped pieces. But it shouldn't be all that hard. YouTube is filled with people successfully wrapping mirrors by using the stretch and shrink method.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
What do you think of the colors or should I stick with red.
Against white and black? Definitely red. Although, if you wanted to go unique and contrarian, I think yellow or orange would work too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the US I'm having a hard time finding the acc that give that red pop to the European abarths. It's a look everyone seems to want that look especially on the white Abarth. The dealer I got my car from had done the heritage stripe done in a vinyl and it is flawlessly done. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the same could be accomplished with a vinyl wrapped on the lower lip, tow cover, and mirror caps. The red is very popular and for good reason but if I go with vinyl I could try different colors.

I would really wonder how an orange
https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/copy-of-orange

electric blue https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/gloss-smurf-blue

would look instead. I will probably just do the

red
https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films/products/copy-of-aluminum-brushed-steel

but it's a thought.

I don't know much about vinyl wrapped pieces. But it shouldn't be all that hard. YouTube is filled with people successfully wrapping mirrors by using the stretch and shrink method.
I had the lower lip wrapped at the same time as the rest of the car. I was told that with it being on plastic that he could not be guaranteed that it would stay.
With that said, he wrapped it at no charge. I have noticed that it has started to peal back on the corners just enough to be noticed when I am washing the vehicle.

I just ordered the lower lip and tow hook cover from the U.K. And will be replacing it once they arrives mid to late February.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'll just throw it out there one last time ....you can save a bunch of Euros by buying a spray can of red Plastic-Kote engine spray and spraying the tow hook cap, and masking off the area around the lower bar and spray painting it. Again take a look at the other thread on the 'elusive tow hook', and you will see that there is no difference in the painted look of the tow hook versus the OEM lower bar. Now, I understand analness, I have product analness ...well, no I do not ....I put MX5 door sill plates on my car ..sorry. Just think about it, though, and put your monies somewhere else. Yes, yes, I am buying the mirror caps.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pete ...check out the link that you provided showing the tow hook in the Ebay listing. Look at the backside of the pictured tow hook. It too has been painted, for it is not solid red plastic. Just trying to save you and others some money. ...no argument here!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the red vinyl and I am going to give that a try. I'm the most worried about the lower bumper piece since the other two i can take off and over wrap so the edges are covered. If that fails i might just take it to a pro to paint because after looking at the ebay stuff it would cost me almost 300$ to get all 3 pieces shipped here. I cant imagine even a good paint shop would charge more than $300 to do the pieces and I refuse to just spray paint my new car, unless its just the towhook cover which i could replace if it came out like crap.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I ordered the red vinyl and I am going to give that a try. I'm the most worried about the lower bumper piece since the other two i can take off and over wrap so the edges are covered. If that fails i might just take it to a pro to paint because after looking at the ebay stuff it would cost me almost 300$ to get all 3 pieces shipped here. I cant imagine even a good paint shop would charge more than $300 to do the pieces and I refuse to just spray paint my new car, unless its just the towhook cover which i could replace if it came out like crap.
Like you, I too bought the lower piece and mirror caps (arriving soon). Painting could be, and should be only an option ...the Plastic-Kote stuff drys really smooth.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Rickiwithani, I had the heritage stripe, the tow cover and mirror caps wrapped but the lower lip is the cap I bought on eBay. The wrap people said due to texture of the lower lip it wouldn't stay. Look at the pictures of my car. Click on my avatar it should take you to my garage. Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's what I was thinking.do you have any close ups of the mirrors and tow hook? I'm curious if they took off the mirror caps and wrapped over the edge and tucked it in or if that would cause issues with the cap clicking back in. On the tow hook I'm wondering if the little triangle still shows or if it's flat now.

For the lower lip does that clip in place or is there a double-sided tape holding it on? I'm going to have to bite the bullet on that and am wondering what type of adhesive I need to get as well to keep it on the car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Like what Dave said above, I've also been told (by my wrap shop) that the texture of the lower lip is an issue as far as wrap adhesion is concerned.

The lip is glued on. I had mine professionally installed by 500 Madness, but there is an older post where someone had recommended an adhesive which has flex to it if you want to do it yourself.

Matching red is tricky. Although you are concerned about cost, you might want to bite the bullet and order the mirror caps from your dealer, and the lip and tow cover from Desira in the U.K. (often listed on eBay with a 3-4 week delivery time).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Spend all that money on buying the car just to take to it with a rattle can? **** no! :eek:

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night! :p
People buy mini-vans which are half as much again as a fiat and put kids in it! You know how much damage kids can do?! Ugh!

;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
All well and good for the tow hook cover I suppose, but the same can't be said for the front bumper insert and mirror caps.

I agree, especially when the cost of the parts is not a lot of money and you could probably combine shipping costs if you bought 2 or 3 of them at once.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to the dealer yesterday and was going to order the mirror caps from them but they were 85$ each. It's cheaper to get them from the eBay Sellers with the lip. The guy at the dealership said he could put them on for me for nothing as long as I didn't give him a hard time if the old ones broke coming off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts