Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the red mirror caps for my 124 Abarth Spider. The instructions look like a 2 year old drew them with no text. Looks like a hair dryer is needed to heat something but after than no help. If anyone has installed these (from AutoRicambi) please share what you did. Many thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Honestly, I folded the mirror to the glass, and got my fingernails under the back edge and pulled, sort of hard, they popped right off. Then I clipped on the new red ones.

https://youtu.be/XBvvok8txvM

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a set of mirror caps painted to match the vinyl stripes on my car. Didn't want to take ANY chances of damaging them by installing them myself, so I let the dealer do it, charged me $45.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thank you canesice.

Dear Lord, this may have saved me from a lot of trial and tribulation. I'm just getting ready to pull off my OEM caps and put the red ones on, and was prepared to go out to my garage tomorrow and start tying to pop my mirrors out of their sockets.

So, not to belay the point, but you basically just get a firm grip on cover and pull back till you hear a click, and then grip the edges with your fingernails and pop if off? And then the new covers just click back on.

When you did this, did you feel like you were stressing the mirror brackets (the part that hold it to the body of the car) to the point where something might have broke, or are they really solid? I appreciate your feedback on this...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank you canesice.

Dear Lord, this may have saved me from a lot of trial and tribulation. I'm just getting ready to pull off my OEM caps and put the red ones on, and was prepared to go out to my garage tomorrow and start tying to pop my mirrors out of their sockets.

So, not to belay the point, but you basically just get a firm grip on cover and pull back till you hear a click, and then grip the edges with your fingernails and pop if off? And then the new covers just click back on.

When you did this, did you feel like you were stressing the mirror brackets (the part that hold it to the body of the car) to the point where something might have broke, or are they really solid? I appreciate your feedback on this...
So I was really concerned on your points, in fact I was trying to carefully pull.. I went at it a few times slowly and it wasnt budging. I watched the video a few more times.. and finally i pulled similar to what I saw, and the cap popped off.
I inspected the clips and all were intact..
I pushed the new one on and done. Then I repeated..

I did feel it was stressed.. but no breakage.. Just had to get it to pop.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I missed this item:

no concern on the bracket. I didnt feel I had to pull that hard.. Was just worried about the cap itself..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I missed this item:

no concern on the bracket. I didn't feel I had to pull that hard.. Was just worried about the cap itself..
I just finished doing mine. Like you said, grip firmly and pull towards you, and it pops right off. Then the replacements just clip in place. I think it took me longer to unpack the replacement caps from their shipping materials than it did to install them. Probably under a couple of minutes to do both sides! Thank you so much for posting this.

And, here's the end result.... all the exterior red bits are now in place...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Time to get silver caps for my Lusso.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just finished doing mine. Like you said, grip firmly and pull towards you, and it pops right off. Then the replacements just clip in place. I think it took me longer to unpack the replacement clips from their shipping materials than it did to install them. Probably under a couple of minutes to do both sides! Thank you so much for posting this.

Looking good! When I did my red bits, my wife said: “They look good...bet they’d also go well with black. She was right, as usual. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just finished doing mine. Like you said, grip firmly and pull towards you, and it pops right off. Then the replacements just clip in place. I think it took me longer to unpack the replacement clips from their shipping materials than it did to install them. Probably under a couple of minutes to do both sides! Thank you so much for posting this.

I absolutely love the look of Spider with the red mirrors and spoiler! They look great on a white, silver or black Spider.

I wish there were contrasting caps I could apply to my red Spider...perhaps in green or even yellow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I absolutely love the look of Spider with the red mirrors and spoiler! They look great in white, silver or black.

I wish there were contrasting caps I could apply to my red Spider...perhaps in green or even yellow.
You know...Madness has carbon fiber caps that might look good against red...not green or yellow, but... I saw them on their red Spider the other day...they looked pretty classy...not cheap tho. Just sayin'

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Looking good! When I did my red bits, my wife said: “They look good...bet they’d also go well with black. She was right, as usual. :D
Here's a tip from an old married guy.... the wife is always right, even when she's not. :)

·
755 Posts
Timely. I just scratched mine last night.

Anyone happen to be looking to sell a gray mirror cap?

TIA
I have a couple of grey mirror caps. Make me an offer and they are yours.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So I make no claim to this method, other than I did it exactly like this on my prima.. I pulled the blue caps off and put the silver ones on.
No clips broke, took just a few seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBvvok8txvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQo5u_9BJv8
I actually tried this when I was wrapping my mirrors and couldn't get it to work on the 124. I did the old fashion trim remover behind the glass. Which was nerve wracking. The glass was bending pretty heavily enough for me to get my hand back there and pull. Both sides have different mount styles and for some reason the passenger side I had the most trouble with.

Putting them back was an ordeal in itself, I had to really put my weight behind that thin piece of mirror to get it back in there. I was on chat with Dareber live and he was like you just gotta do it ... it worked :)

https://www.124spider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8257&d=1483735923

Check out the post by JFernald here:

https://www.124spider.org/forum/11-exterior-interior/7729-how-remove-replace-mirror-caps-2.html#post154913

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone. AutoRicambi sent me a link to the videos where the covers can simply be pried off (good strong finger nails). I think maybe the AutoRicambi covers are different than some of the others that were being discussed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts