Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that was weird.

Just drove up to Denver airport (about 25 miles on 75mph freeway). On the slip road pulling on to the freeway, I noticed there wasn't the usual kick as the turbo spooled up - the car was accelerating - just not with the usual kick.

Did a few in-gear attempts to accelerate on the freeway and got the same result - acceleration, but not at the level expected. Felt like the turbo was producing some, but not all the expected boost.

At the same time, the cruise control wouldn't engage - hit the on-off button and there was no light on the dash.

After parking at the airport, I restarted the car and the cruise control light came on as expected.

The car was cold when I left my garage. Temps in the garage were probably in the 80's with outside temperatures in the 90's today, so hot, but not excessively so.

There was no CEL light.

Anyone else experience anything similar? I have the EC tune, V1 intake, AFE filter and DV+. I was running in sport mode at the time.

I'll plug my OBDI monitor in for the drive home on Wednesday night and see if I can figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Lack of power, cruise control not engaging, sounds like a low boost condition. You may find that you have a pending code for P0299 (low boost). Cruise control becomes disabled under this condition.

The wastegate solenoid is often suggested as a cause, although I personally think the solenoid has gotten a bad rep. You could have a boost leak somewhere in the system. It could even be something wrong with the turbo, but that is probably unlikely.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lack of power, cruise control not engaging, sounds like a low boost condition. You may find that you have a pending code for P0299 (low boost). Cruise control becomes disabled under this condition.

The wastegate solenoid is often suggested as a cause, although I personally think the solenoid has gotten a bad rep. You could have a boost leak somewhere in the system. It could even be something wrong with the turbo, but that is probably unlikely.
Hmm - would seem to fit the bill. I'll take the DV+ off when I get home and make sure its not sticking open. Did I not read something about folks having an issue with it running with the factory spring? Guess I should order up a stock diverter valve in case a trip to the dealer is in my future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with Shark...definitely

Smells like a boot leak in my books. Good luck and keep us in the loop..:(:(

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Check the electrical plug on the diverter valve. For whatever reason, if that's not connecting really well the cruise control won't work and you get the symptoms you describe.

Greg

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
You might check and see if your electrical connection has come apart. I had a devil of a time getting mine to latch properly to begin with once I put the dv+ on.

Hmm - would seem to fit the bill. I'll take the DV+ off when I get home and make sure its not sticking open. Did I not read something about folks having an issue with it running with the factory spring? Guess I should order up a stock diverter valve in case a trip to the dealer is in my future.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the electrical plug on the diverter valve. For whatever reason, if that's not connecting really well the cruise control won't work and you get the symptoms you describe.

Greg
Thanks - would be nice if it's that simple.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might check and see if your electrical connection has come apart. I had a devil of a time getting mine to latch properly to begin with once I put the dv+ on.
I think I remember you mentioning that in a thread - will definitely check it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hmmm, my cruise control wouldnt come on today for some reason either. At first I thought it was because I had the top down but that doesnt make sense. Does it not work if the top is down? I hope not. Anywho, it worked fine just the other day but now it won't even come on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
560 Posts
The cruise control works with the top in either position.

hmmm, my cruise control wouldnt come on today for some reason either. At first I thought it was because I had the top down but that doesnt make sense. Does it not work if the top is down? I hope not. Anywho, it worked fine just the other day but now it won't even come on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cruise control is disabled when the car detects low turbo pressure, which is almost certainly what happened in my case.

Did you notice the car being down on power - slower than expected acceleration etc...?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back this evening. Confirmed there was a pending P0299 (low boost) code. Before leaving the airport I re-seated the electrical connector to the dump valve et voila, normal service was resumed. Car behaved normally on the drive home and the code was cleared when I checked again in the garage at home.

Will be keeping an eye on this, but feeling pretty relieved right now :cool:

One other thing I noticed when checking codes was that one of the startup checks (evaporative system) being shown as incomplete. Anyone know what that means? Anything to be concerned about?

Cheers,
Wooley

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Just got back this evening. Confirmed there was a pending P0299 (low boost) code. Before leaving the airport I re-seated the electrical connector to the dump valve et voila, normal service was resumed. Car behaved normally on the drive home and the code was cleared when I checked again in the garage at home.

One other thing I noticed when checking codes was that one of the startup checks (evaporative system) being shown as incomplete. Anyone know what that means? Anything to be concerned about?

Cheers,
Wooley
Maybe the evap check was deferred while the pending P0299 was present. I'd check it again after a few drive cycles and see if it clears, too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Glad everything is back

Cheers,
Wooley
To normal, and it was an easy fix...dodged a bullet!!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it took a couple of weeks (not been driving much except at weekends), but the incomplete evaporative system readiness check has now cleared.

It seems the trick with this is to do a drive with a variety of stop start urban and steady speed freeway conditions, with the gas tank at or below two thirds full. I normally fill up before a weekend cruise so I was never driving with the tank low enough for it to complete the check. Yesterday I deliberately didn't fill up - starting about half full and - bingo - cleared code.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Evap checks on most newer cars are a huge PITA. I find that if you have huge swings in temperature+humidity they can get tripped up for no real reason - well, pressure change inside vs outside the system I guess. And it always self corrects after a few tanks of fuel.

If there is a reason to have a handheld OBD2 reader this is it - to turn off the annoying BS check engine light in this instance.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Evap checks on most newer cars are a huge PITA. I find that if you have huge swings in temperature+humidity they can get tripped up for no real reason - well, pressure change inside vs outside the system I guess. And it always self corrects after a few tanks of fuel.

If there is a reason to have a handheld OBD2 reader this is it - to turn off the annoying BS check engine light in this instance.

You're right - having been reading up it lately, they do seem easy to trigger.

With that said, the readiness checks don't trigger the CEL - if it wasn't for my reader I wouldn't have known about it, but - as opposed to normal problem codes - you also can't clear them with a reader. I believe they were added to prevent people trying to hide problems by clearing codes immediately before taking their cars in for emissions testing.

Here in Colorado, emissions testing is required on cars three or more years old and I believe three or more incomplete readiness tests results in a failure.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
What reader do you have that shows readiness?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dash Command on iOS

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts