Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Came back from cruising, and I unfortunately pulled into my parking spot at my apartment from the wrong approach. There's an eroding retaining wall that I brushed up against causing the side skirt to fall off.
Snapchat-1404594000.jpg
Fortunately it looks like there's only a small crack along one of the slots one of the underside retainers hooks into, but it's small enough that it doesn't go along the entire piece and is only visible if you flex the part.
20201007_170215.jpg
Since the only thing I need to replace are the retaining buttons at the splash guards, I figured it would be easy to just pop on. Unfortunately I didn't realize how hard it is to align all the retainers to the piece. It's just me popping the skirt back on, and other than using my phone's front camera to ensure the underbody retainers are lined up I'm having difficulty figuring out how to align everything. The service manual just says to fit the skirt in place and engage the retainers, but I can't figure out how to do that.
Anyone have any advice on how I can get this fixed?
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,127 Posts
It gets attached under the car first.

Start with taking those green plastic pop clips off the car and install them back on the rocker panel. Try to get them off the car without breaking them (i have popped them from the car with a serving fork though there is a tool made for the task). You then look at the low side of rocker panel, that low side needs to get attached under the car and SLID into place before the pop green connectors along the top half of the rocker panel get lined up with their holes and snapped back in. Once bottom is properly slid into place...then top just pops on if you have those green bits aligned right (take your time to make sure ALL of them lined up nice before you pop upper half back on)..

And now the trick to keep them on the car forever. Same part on the ND Miata and we commonly knock them off with racing (autocross cone strikes, etc). We came up with simple use of pair of self taping screws to keep them on, which got copied into TSB for Global Cup Cars using same simple addition of screws to keep these on once you get it back on. See PDF link in our forum at THIS LINK.

Mazda also now makes a clip (“Clip, N243-51-SJ3” ) that can be installed when rocker is off the car that is the new factory alternative to our use of a pair of self taping screws....but we still do it our way. This became standard with 30AE and is not on my 2019 ND2 Miata.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks for the information! Didn't know I had to take off the clips. That makes sense

1 - 3 of 3 Posts