Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that got these cars right as they hit the showrooms, how reliable have they been, so far? I've had my abarth a little bit more than 3 months and have just scheduled my 4th service visit. One was a brake issue, 2 were faulty dash lights, and this latest one is a service engine indicator :mad: Whenever I call to make a service appointment, the service operator reads a long list of problems and asks if I have any of those issues (front end shaking, wheel noise, and like 6 or 7 other serious sounding problems) before setting up an appointment. Are these cars having some issues or are they just triaging their calls?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Early November purchase. No issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Later November purchase; CEL for faulty thermostat the only issue. Otherwise 6,000 miles trouble-free.

·
Registered
257 Posts
October purchase but stored for a good deal of this winter - 2500 miles and no issues.

Fully insured and back on the roads tomorrow!

·
Registered
476 Posts
one would have thought by now you would have seen posts by people on here for that kind of stuff if there were issues. sounds odd that they go over those things and not just ask why you need the appointment. There are no service buletines in the Alldata system so either that is behind, maybe they are pulling some info over from mazda or an odd triage protocol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sonny and Cher ??

For those that got these cars right as they hit the showrooms, how reliable have they been, so far? I've had my abarth a little bit more than 3 months and have just scheduled my 4th service visit. One was a brake issue, 2 were faulty dash lights, and this latest one is a service engine indicator :mad: Whenever I call to make a service appointment, the service operator reads a long list of problems and asks if I have any of those issues (front end shaking, wheel noise, and like 6 or 7 other serious sounding problems) before setting up an appointment. Are these cars having some issues or are they just triaging their calls?
Have 1,500 miles on it...Purchased on February 2nd, Ground Hog Day. All is running great except every time I turn on the radio, that Sonny and Cher song " I got you Babe" is the first song I hear!!! LOL

Grandpa Bill
Austin,Tx. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bought last October. 3500 miles now, no issues whatsoever. Have never been to the dealer for anything.

·
Registered
560 Posts
9,000 miles, purchased at the end of August. Had a failed coil pack, a bad thermostat, a loose bushing under the car. All of these were in the first few thousand miles. Nothing since then except for the annoying loose inner liner on the roof - a poor design by the folks at Mazda and for which neither Mazda nor Fiat has a permanent solution. Gluing it has helped but after enough raising and lowering it finally has happened again recently.

·
Banned
425 Posts
November 3000 miles and a flat tire. Dealer had "thrown in " tire protection so repaired under warranty. No other issues. Consumer Reports rates the Miata reliability very high. While CS beats up FIAT as the absolute worst reliability as a brand, the low, low, ratings have nothing to do with the engine that rates as highly reliable. I hope we are good other than the thermostats and those of you with top problems. It would be interesting to know what other parts are FIAT? What I wonder about is the parts supporting the engine. The thermostat is a good example. At first glance, the Miata thermostat should be fine, just a thermostat, right? But it turned out maybe not? Assume, for example, it is a FIAT water pump, but the radiator? How about the alternator? Manifold exhaust pipe? Fuel pump? Does the clutch - engine interface involve adapters? I have done a lot of retrofitting of equipment in my prior lives, and the compatibility issues and engineering gotchas that come up are complex. Can't imagine all these parts are interchangeable between Miata and FIAT. How much of the "inside baseball" of what makes the Miata reliable, did their engineers share with the FIAT guys? For that matter, I am sure the FIAT guys discovered a few interesting things about the Miata that Mazda would love to know. Assume Mazda and FIAT want each other to succeed, but there are proprietary information issues and engineering egos involved here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
August purchase for my lusso, and no issues (from the factory). Brake pads faded, but likely due to track testing.

October purchase for my Abarth, and one minor issue that needs to be remedied. The rear latch for my top rattles when the top is up and not engaged with the rear latch. Kind-of annoying, but not horrible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bought July 2016. 5300 miles so far - most of which was from August through November. No troubles except for a minor bug in the Connect touch screen software. It is a minor glitch several layers down in the menus and is only visible if I look for it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
October purchase only issue I believe was caused by dealership. They overfilled my oil causing the plugs to foul and the coil to burn out. Replaced one coil. Other than that, no issues of note.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have my Spider yet, but I did see at least two members on this site report that Alarm is going off while driving. In my world, two is a trend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts