Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 29k miles on my Abarth (2017) still under warranty. I have had only 2 problems. One was thermostatstuck on and the other was oil dripping into the air filter. Dealer said they do not know why it is happening and that Fiat is looking into that problem. In the meantime they said it is not to worry about too much except that I should wipe the oil out of the intake tube going to the air filter occasionally. I am also hearing complaints from people on this forum of engine problems where car is kept in the dealer service dept for over a month in some cases waiting for parts or whatever. I am starting to get a little concerned that problems might start occurring with me. I drive it mostly locally but am becoming more leary of taking another long trip. Considering selling car before things happen. Anyone out there have any suggestions or comments about this? Thanks for any input.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might not be the perspective your looking for but:

Like most people on this forum I did a lot of research on this car before purchasing it. I did not start out wanting this car. It was the months of researching what is the most fun reliable and fuel efficient car I can get. As I expect to get the car over 1,000,000 miles (let me dream) there was lots to consider. Assembled in Japan, engine won international engine of the year award 2010, old school single mass flywheel, port injection, etc.

The cars definitely appear to have a few quirky issues but they are for the most part minor things. Especially considering the type of vehicle the maintenance will probably be more then a base model Carolla but if something breaks replace it with the performance version and improve the car over time instead of just maintaining it.

There are obviously lemons and issues with every car but I would say the spider has the odds in it's favour for reliability.

At the end of the day if you are thinking about selling it then maybe you are just done with that car and would prefer something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked the same question a few months ago. The thread below is from this forum and I found it pretty useful. Also, I've had mo problems and have put a littel over 3k miles in the 3-months I've owned it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked the same question a few months ago. The thread below is from this forum and I found it pretty useful. Also, I've had mo problems and have put a littel over 3k miles in the 3-months I've owned it.

Sorry, that link didnt do what I thought it qould do. Search for "Reliability", thats the title I gave it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think there are two questions here. 1. Is the reliability of the vehicle significantly worse than your average car? 2. If there are problems with the car, is it more problematic to get it fixed?

So far as #1 goes, I'm not sure there's enough data to say. My gut feeling is that there's nothing unusually unreliable about these cars. Mine is two years old and I've never done anything beyond changing the oil. Of course, it only has 11,000 miles on it. But I don't think the model is significantly more prone to issues than most cars.

Regarding #2, I think that's a point for potential concern. IF a problem occurs, can it be fixed easily? It may depend where you are but again my gut feeling is that no, it's not going to be as easy to fix as a Honda. Especially as the car gets further and further away from being actually produced. I'd fully expect excessive wait times for parts, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have 29k miles on my Abarth (2017) still under warranty. I have had only 2 problems. One was thermostatstuck on and the other was oil dripping into the air filter. Dealer said they do not know why it is happening and that Fiat is looking into that problem. In the meantime they said it is not to worry about too much except that I should wipe the oil out of the intake tube going to the air filter occasionally. I am also hearing complaints from people on this forum of engine problems where car is kept in the dealer service dept for over a month in some cases waiting for parts or whatever. I am starting to get a little concerned that problems might start occurring with me. I drive it mostly locally but am becoming more leary of taking another long trip. Considering selling car before things happen. Anyone out there have any suggestions or comments about this? Thanks for any input.

Mark
Hello Mark,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns. If you are interested, please reach out to us privately with your VIN and we can take a look into this from our end.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello Mark,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns. If you are interested, please reach out to us privately with your VIN and we can take a look into this from our end.
Laura
FiatCares
There you go Mark..."Fiat Cares" ! I am a "Senior" member as in age not wisdom so have the advantage of having owned cars from the late 1950's right through to my 2018 Spider and I can tell you now like Troy I went for it on the Japanese "Mazda" engineering build quality, the award winning engine and the Italian styling. I have modded the Spider to suit me, found it really easy to work on and plan a long term relationship with it. There will always be ebay and scrapyards for parts, good people like the members here and your local vehicle enthusiasts to assist you and the Spider "WILL" be one of those future Classics that you may wish that you had hung on to, however.......again as Troy says, it may be that "for you" it is time to move on mate, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Might not be the perspective your looking for but:

Like most people on this forum I did a lot of research on this car before purchasing it. I did not start out wanting this car. It was the months of researching what is the most fun reliable and fuel efficient car I can get. As I expect to get the car over 1,000,000 miles (let me dream) there was lots to consider. Assembled in Japan, engine won international engine of the year award 2010, old school single mass flywheel, port injection, etc.

The cars definitely appear to have a few quirky issues but they are for the most part minor things. Especially considering the type of vehicle the maintenance will probably be more then a base model Carolla but if something breaks replace it with the performance version and improve the car over time instead of just maintaining it.

There are obviously lemons and issues with every car but I would say the spider has the odds in it's favour for reliability.

At the end of the day if you are thinking about selling it then maybe you are just done with that car and would prefer something else.
2010 winner was an AMG engine? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2010/06/24/2010-international-engine-of-the-year-awards-honor-ten-best-engi/

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hair splitting reply Minidreamcar mate.....Troy was correct, google it......best NEW engine winner 2010, Cheers

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
I’d second Stunnedmonkey’s comments. Mine is low mileage 2017 Abarth. I’ve had some evap CEL issues that come and go, but that’s it. The Thermostat issue was bogus, an ecu remap fixed it. I think we have the best combination of parts, certainly better than the MX5 with it’s crappy MT6.
And we clearly win the beauty contest.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts