Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the large Abarth badges from the boot/trunk and front apron? I want to delete these as they look pretty crappy being too large and plastic. I tried heating them up with a hair dryer and sawing underneath with fishing line but no go.
Would appreciate some tips if anyone has successfully removed them.
Cheers,
Wazza.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The front is secured with a nut. You need to either remove the front bumper or use a flexible nut driver to access it. The rear is held with two pegs; remove the trunk liner. Either way, you're left with holes so plan ahead. There are other threads detailing options.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
330 Posts
Has anyone removed the large Abarth badges from the boot/trunk and front apron? I want to delete these as they look pretty crappy being too large and plastic. I tried heating them up with a hair dryer and sawing underneath with fishing line but no go.
Cheers,
Wazza.
Just some additional info: If you have the heritage stripe, the area under the badge will be slightly darker than the rest of the matte black hood/boot. Worse yet, there will be abrasion of the paint at the outline of the badge, assumed to be from dust getting under the badge. Nothing I tried would clean up that dust line and keep the matte finish. The boot is flat under the badge; the hood is recessed under the badge
Automotive lighting Hood Fluid Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior

I had planned to replace the badges with round Abarth badges from the 500 Punta. The real badges from Europe are very expensive, about $85 each or more. The inexpensive badges I ordered from Ali Express were cheap plastic "junk". Sometimes Ali comes through with good quality bargains and sometimes not so much.
If you do NOT have the heritage stripe, it's possible to buff out the paint at the badge edges and this could be the result.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

A total de-badge will require body filler and most likely total repaint of the panels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cheers,
Wazza.
I looked into rebading mine for similar reasons, but ultimately found the cost and effort far outweighed my dislike of the big plastic badges.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
330 Posts
I looked into rebading mine for similar reasons, but ultimately found the cost and effort far outweighed my dislike of the big plastic badges.
The red parts of the badges on my 2018 Abarth were turning pink. That's why I looked into the change. Then someone here suggested they might be covered. under warranty. They were. My dealer gave me the new ones in exchange for the old when I showed them already removed and asked to let me install the new ones myself.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
353 Posts
Greetings - I did this to my 2017. Had the holes in the trunk filled when I was rear ended.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

• Love
Reactions: 17221

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
353 Posts
The front was done when someone backed into me!

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
140 Posts
Cheers,
Wazza.
The rear is easy ya just gotta be careful removing the trim on the underside of the boot those little plastic fasteners can be fragile.
The front is a real PITA and I would give credit to Murat124 for posting his method of removal with the flexible extension, that thread helped me to do the same. Patience helps too.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

(Murat124)
I didn't delete those huge emblems but replaced them with the chrome from the Grande Punto like others on here have done. That one up front doesn't fit flush and requires some persuading to fit right, lots of good info on here about that as well.
If replacing yours seems an option I looked online today at the vendor that sold me mine last year and Partsworld UK still has them at just under £80 combined.
I am also one of the unfortunate ones with the unbuffable heritage stripe and I have to admit I was pretty impressed with how the Dr. Beasley's Matte paint prescription kit took care of the leftover grime after emblem removal.
Grille White Hood Automotive lighting Light

(Mine)
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like the badges in the photos above.

However, I also like the original badges as they look mean :)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Hi...yes removed my front badge using one 10mm ring spanner on a string (case it dropped) fill details in Brexit Mods thread, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah a lot of work to remove and make it look smooth. That black rear without the emblem looks amazing. But would be too costly. My ideal design for the 124 would have been no rear emblem and to put the front emblem whete the grill is. Like in this old 124.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
556 Posts
I thought I had my opportunity to get rid of it when, unfortunately, I had to replace my front end.
My body shop guy said he could do it but with all the filler it wouldn’t last. I trusted his judgment and stuck with the original.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Cheers,
Wazza.
They will leave holes ,but to cover them you can use a 6” Italian color stripe which looks good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rear is easy ya just gotta be careful removing the trim on the underside of the boot those little plastic fasteners can be fragile.
The front is a real PITA and I would give credit to Murat124 for posting his method of removal with the flexible extension, that thread helped me to do the same. Patience helps too. View attachment 87815
(Murat124)
I didn't delete those huge emblems but replaced them with the chrome from the Grande Punto like others on here have done. That one up front doesn't fit flush and requires some persuading to fit right, lots of good info on here about that as well.
If replacing yours seems an option I looked online today at the vendor that sold me mine last year and Partsworld UK still has them at just under £80 combined.
I am also one of the unfortunate ones with the unbuffable heritage stripe and I have to admit I was pretty impressed with how the Dr. Beasley's Matte paint prescription kit took care of the leftover grime after emblem removal. View attachment 87817
(Mine) View attachment 87818
Which of the Grande Punto badges did you use. The front or tailgate badge?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just some additional info: If you have the heritage stripe, the area under the badge will be slightly darker than the rest of the matte black hood/boot. Worse yet, there will be abrasion of the paint at the outline of the badge, assumed to be from dust getting under the badge. Nothing I tried would clean up that dust line and keep the matte finish. The boot is flat under the badge; the hood is recessed under the badge
View attachment 87801
View attachment 87802
I had planned to replace the badges with round Abarth badges from the 500 Punta. The real badges from Europe are very expensive, about $85 each or more. The inexpensive badges I ordered from Ali Express were cheap plastic "junk". Sometimes Ali comes through with good quality bargains and sometimes not so much.
If you do NOT have the heritage stripe, it's possible to buff out the paint at the badge edges and this could be the result.
View attachment 87803
A total de-badge will require body filler and most likely total repaint of the panels.
Great feedback, you are diligent and dedicated, thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine were purchased as a set from partsworld uk and included both the front and smaller boot emblem.
I think Partsworld have sent me the wrong Grande Punto badge. See photo. They do not appear to have any sold as a front/rear set.
The badge on the left is the tailgate badge - has two bolts and two lugs and a piece in the middle which looks to be part of the lock mechanism? It measures about 90mm with a part number of 735516492. I note on their website for this part they describe two badges for before / after 11/2019 - however the dropdown selection uses 11/2009 - so I naturally ordered the post 11/2009 badge from the dropdown. I think I should have ordered the other badge which is described as having two locating lugs plus self adhesive tape.
Badge on the right has two lugs and one centre bolt and is 98mm. I think this is the right one for the front of my 124? Part number 735495891.
Can anyone verify whether I have the right or wrong badges?
Also, what's the trick for removing the plastic clips that retain the rear badge (photo).
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim
Water Liquid Automotive lighting Flash photography Organism
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim
Water Liquid Automotive lighting Flash photography Organism

·
Registered
364 Posts
I want as much Abarth badging as possible I don't care how bad it is. So that way when people ask me what kind of car it is I do not have to admit its a fiat and the badge corroborates my story.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts