Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a couple of previous threads (I don't remember which ones) where people were wondering if the taillight inserts were removable for painting, etc.

I had a couple of minutes today, so I gave it a shot. Not only are they removable, but they are very easy to remove.

They clip on to two black plastic "fixtures" that are used to attach the taillight to the car.

I used a thin plastic trim removal tool and pried the insert out away from the taillight. Start at the inboard edge and pry it out, slide the tool along the top and give it a twist when it gets tight. The insert will pop right out of the first clip. Continue along the top and twist again to pop out the second clip.

I think they would look nice in red carbon fiber...

Photos below. (looks like I should have washed the car first!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Great info, thanks. I have a can of Gloss Black Peel Coat, which I plan to use on the Red ones on my car...pics soon.

So basically they press-fit on?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That's how I see it..just a press fit. **** you could ride dirty without them!!! Ha. it looks like..remove the tabs and it's all clear lens in the back. Probably a screw hole left over though. Do it @Bob Z

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, thanks. I have a can of Gloss Black Peel Coat, which I plan to use on the Red ones on my car...pics soon.

So basically they press-fit on?
Bob, they snap onto the black square things that mount the taillight to the car. Not really a press fit, more like a snap, they click into place when you reinstall them.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
186 Posts
I remember a couple of previous threads (I don't remember which ones) where people were wondering if the taillight inserts were removable for painting, etc.

I had a couple of minutes today, so I gave it a shot. Not only are they removable, but they are very easy to remove.

They clip on to two black plastic "fixtures" that are used to attach the taillight to the car.

I used a thin plastic trim removal tool and pried the insert out away from the taillight. Start at the inboard edge and pry it out, slide the tool along the top and give it a twist when it gets tight. The insert will pop right out of the first clip. Continue along the top and twist again to pop out the second clip.

I think they would look nice in red carbon fiber...

Photos below. (looks like I should have washed the car first!)
Steve --- your post was a big help in removing the inserts. Used a large kitchen plastic spatula to pry them out. The picture below shows the results using the same shade as used for the Heritage Wrap. Like the black inserts as it nicely offsets the rest of the roadster in red. For those members in Southern California, you may wish to ask for Ahren at Templarwraps.com. They are located at 1926 E. Edinger Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92705, tel: 844 636 2664.

Attachments

Reactions: TPG90004

·
Registered
16 Posts
@steve6225 - This is great info, indeed. Please post a pic of what you end up doing. Your red wrap idea is great. Personally, I'd like to see it in a red reflector tape wrap, to make it look as though it was supposed to be part of the light.

Thank you for posting this

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve --- your post was a big help in removing the inserts. Used a large kitchen plastic spatula to pry them out. The picture below shows the results using the same shade as used for the Heritage Wrap. Like the black inserts as it nicely offsets the rest of the roadster in red. For those members in Southern California, you may wish to ask for Ahren at Templarwraps.com. They are located at 1926 E. Edinger Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92705, tel: 844 636 2664.
That looks great and goes well with the heritage stripe.

I am not sure what I will do with them yet. Red carbon, red and black carbon, Barney purple? (not really!) maybe even match the red mirror caps and lip. I do like the idea of making it match the rest of the taillight. So many choices...

·
Registered
587 Posts
\
Looks good but I would do the "124 Spider" in Red (I did mine in Black) to complete the look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts