Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil filter??? Has anyone exploded this option. Looks like once the terminals are disconnected, then there is only two long bolts anchoring the battery to the pan.

Quickly unscrewing the two anchors, pulling the battery, then leaves lots of room to stick your hand and some rags around the filter and replace.

Any thoughts..positive or negative. Yes I know the battery is heavy,..does anyone know what its actually weight???
;)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I have certainly considered this. I think I'd sooner trust my shop with removing the battery than monkeying with my V4 intake.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly...Shark..

I have certainly considered this. I think I'd sooner trust my shop with removing the battery than monkeying with my V4 intake.
I'm thinking of getting the V4 like you, but I like doing my own oil changes, because like you, I really don't like green beans rookies learning their skills on my car.

So do you all think this could be a solution to an easier oil filter change foe us do,it yourself mechanic.??

Does anyone know what the battery weighs??

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
If I were doing my own oil changes, I would just move my V4 to the side.

Reactions: JFernald

·
Registered
956 Posts
Negative thoughts on battery removal

The oil filter??? Has anyone exploded this option. Looks like once the terminals are disconnected, then there is only two long bolts anchoring the battery to the pan.

Quickly unscrewing the two anchors, pulling the battery, then leaves lots of room to stick your hand and some rags around the filter and replace.

Any thoughts..positive or negative. Yes I know the battery is heavy,..does anyone know what its actually weight???
;)
I don't see this as a viable option. First, there is really no need to remove the battery to access the oil filter. You will need an extension on your ratchet to get the socket on the filter cover, but otherwise it is not that hard to get to. If you have the EC V4 intake, you will note that it is not only in the way of the oil filter, it is also in the way of the battery. So, to remove the battery you would need to move the intake. But moving the intake gives you plenty of access to the oil filter. So, I see no point in removing the battery.

(note: The V4 intake does not need to be completely removed, just disconnect from the turbo and remove the bolt from the plastic evap fitting under the engine cover and move it to the left.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Great Point

I don't see this as a viable option. First, there is really no need to remove the battery to access the oil filter. You will need an extension on your ratchet to get the socket on the filter cover, but otherwise it is not that hard to get to. If you have the EC V4 intake, you will note that it is not only in the way of the oil filter, it is also in the way of the battery. So, to remove the battery you would need to move the intake. But moving the intake gives you plenty of access to the oil filter. So, I see no point in removing the battery.

(note: The V4 intake does not need to be completely removed, just disconnect from the turbo and remove the bolt from the plastic evap fitting under the engine cover and move it to the left.)
Yes this makes sense...Thanks for the insight and suggestions

·
Registered
479 Posts
you always could get a lightweight battery kit from GWR and install one of those munchkin batteries, that should give you plenty of access to the filter....... just my $ 0.02.....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
you always could get a lightweight battery kit from GWR and install one of those munchkin batteries, that should give you plenty of access to the filter....... just my $ 0.02.....
Has anyone actually done this in a daily driver car?

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Goodwin claimed the car was his wife's!

Has anyone actually done this in a daily driver car?
Brian Goodwin bought his wife a 124, which he described as her's. One of the first mods was ditching the 37lb wet battery and using a 480CCA lightweight battery.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
From what I understand, you will save a lot of weight, maintain (or improve?) cranking capability, but the reserve capacity is significantly less, potentially requiring a trickle charge for longer periods between driving.

So, daily driver for someone who just wants to jump in their car and go, and the hood may as well be welded shut, probably not a good idea. However, I'd say most people here are tinkerers and drivers so may not be an issue (it's just another thing to tinker around with).

The stock battery does seem to be Godzilla from the 70's.

Reactions: Seagas and Not Sure
1 - 11 of 11 Posts