Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from SF to LA and back this weekend, and picked up a lot of bugs in the Central Valley. Just washed the car, but I know it's still not 100%. Suggestions?

Also, what are folks using to clean the bezel around the windshield and all of the black plastic?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Having a good wax or sealant(my go too now is car lack 68) on the car in the first place and regularly topped up after washing with a quick detailer spray helps. Then plenty of good car shampoo and water to soften the bugs(or whats left of them) using a lambswool or good microfibre wash mitt. Don't be tempted to scrub at them with anything slightly abrasive, because the clear coat is quite soft on Fiat's/Mazda's

·
Registered
529 Posts
Got this tip from a pro detailer. The light touch method

Spray the area generously with an All Purpose Cleaner (failing that, a strong solution of good quality carwash). Get a very wet bath towel (or if you have a very large MF) and drape it over the affected area. Leave that on for at least 2 / 3 hours. Remove towel, the bugs should have softened by then (if not leave it on longer) and can be blasted away with a strong jet of water, complete with your preferred car wash method

·
Registered
958 Posts
Drove from SF to LA and back this weekend, and picked up a lot of bugs in the Central Valley. Just washed the car, but I know it's still not 100%. Suggestions?

Also, what are folks using to clean the bezel around the windshield and all of the black plastic?
With the Xpel clear bra, bugs are easy to remove. Of course it does nothing for the black plastic grill. With the time saved not having to scrub the other parts, the grill cleaning won't seem like such a big job.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Xpel clear bra, bugs are easy to remove. Of course it does nothing for the black plastic grill. With the time saved not having to scrub the other parts, the grill cleaning won't seem like such a big job.
I know some of you add the Xpel clear bras yourself...not in my wheelhouse to do that. What type of business should I look for?

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm not too sure about leaving an all-purpose cleaner on your car for 2-3 hours as that doesn't seem too safe at all. But they have dedicated bug/tar remover solutions that sell off the shelf that are great. You spray them on, let it soak for a minute, wash the car as you normally would and it'll come off.

They also have bug scrub pads but those things erk me.

Main thing is, don't leave them there as the blood and guts of bugs are like acidic and will damage things.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not too sure about leaving an all-purpose cleaner on your car for 2-3 hours as that doesn't seem too safe at all. But they have dedicated bug/tar remover solutions that sell off the shelf that are great. You spray them on, let it soak for a minute, wash the car as you normally would and it'll come off.

They also have bug scrub pads but those things erk me.

Main thing is, don't leave them there as the blood and guts of bugs are like acidic and will damage things.
I gave the car a very gentle, thorough cleaning. Did clay bar and wax a few weeks ago, so it wasn't time for that again. I'm reaching out via the net to companies in the area that apply the xpel products.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I've used this product for years on all colors of paint and it works really well.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-520A-Remover-Trigger/dp/B0009JKGII
It's also fairly cheap. I spray on problem areas after rinsing the car then let sit for 5 minutes before washing off with a separate washer I use just for bugs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use that also....

I've used this product for years on all colors of paint and it works really well.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-520A-Remover-Trigger/dp/B0009JKGII
It's also fairly cheap. I spray on problem areas after rinsing the car then let sit for 5 minutes before washing off with a separate washer I use just for bugs.
My Dad was a big "Turtle Wax" guy and he believed in almost everything they produced. I used this Bug and Tar Removal on all of my current cars, especially my 2015 50th Anniversary Mustang GT, which is my :laugh:garage DIVA...LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts