Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a 2500 mile round trip to Lake Tahoe (absolutely stunning place). Noticed I've got some tree sap on one of the windows on the dull, but worthy Sorrento - thankfully not the Spider.

Anyone got any helpful hints or product recommendations for getting it off? Very hot, soapy water is all I've tried so far, and that's going to take while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Following along...had the Abarth up at the cottage this weekend and the windshield has little drops of sap all over it. Almost looks like raindrops. Figured glass cleaner and elbow grease but if someone has a better solution I'm all ears.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Following along...had the Abarth up at the cottage this weekend and the windshield has little drops of sap all over it. Almost looks like raindrops. Figured glass cleaner and elbow grease but if someone has a better solution I'm all ears.
For years I have removed dried tree sap and dried bird droppings and bugs by scraping with a single edged razor blade. ONLY ON GLASS. Then follow up with your favorite glass cleaner.. the blade will not harm the glass...been removing inspection stickers with razors for years. No issues.

I actually debugged the 124 windshield after a long ride yesterday. No issues. Try it first on a small spot to get the feel for it. Play at your own risk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For years I have removed dried tree sap and dried bird droppings and bugs by scraping with a single edged razor blade. ONLY ON GLASS. Then follow up with your favorite glass cleaner.. the blade will not harm the glass...been removing inspection stickers with razors for years. No issues.

I actually debugged the 124 windshield after a long ride yesterday. No issues. Try it first on a small spot to get the feel for it. Play at your own risk.
I'll give it a try, cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've used paint thinner or turpentine on both glass and body of my MX5's for years. It dissolves the sap (or the glue on so many sticky labels) without harming the paint.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alcohol based hand sanitizer took it straight off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Before I tried any of these remedies I did a spot test of the basic Windex and newsprint...it worked perfectly for me, no more sap. Good to have a few other solutions to try out if it happens again, but let's just say that I know which tree I'm not parking beside at the cottage!

Thanks for the tips guys...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts