Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Scheduled servicing plan, within my owners handbook describes "replace air cabin filter' as a "recommended operation" at 9 months and a "mandatory operation" every 18 months.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have some questions:

What does the air cabin filter do?
What would be the consequence of not changing the filter?
Where is it and how do I replace the air cabin filter?

Thanks in anticipation,
Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Filters pollen and diesel particulates for the cabin AC. Apparently it's in a pretty inaccessable place and can be a bxtch to replace.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Thanks for that link Snoopy. That is a horror! I don't think any thought was given to design for serviceability.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments and link guys. I've also found a utube clip showing replacement on a fiat 500. The filter appears to be in a similar location. For now I'm mindful to leave this out of my servicing schedule until more detailed guidance is available. If couriousity gets the better of me and I decide to take a look I'll post accordingly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks like something I'll let the dealer take care of when the time comes. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
According to the Owner Handbook Update:

"The contents of the Supplement updates the information in the Owner Handbook. Contrary to the indications in the Scheduled Servicing Plan for the 124 Spider, it is not necessary to replace the pollen filter periodically."

There is no mention of a pollen filter in the handbook but I imagine it refers to the air cabin filter (page 158 in mine) which originally required a mandatory replacement every 18000 miles.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mechanically speaking, a filter installed on any HVAC system is meant to clean the air before it gets to the heat exchange surfaces to prevent dirt, etc. from fouling those surfaces and adversly affecting the heat exchange process. In the case of a car, and I'm assuming this is the case with the Mazda/Fiat convertibles, that means keeping debris from clogging up the air fins of the heating and cooling coils to assure they can work as efficiently as possible. "Cabin air filter" is more of a marketing term to the uninformed, naive owner of the car, making them think the filter is for their personal comfort. It is not, it is there for the machine, not the operator of the machine, just like the filters for the engine lubrication and combustion systems.

As much of a pain it may be to service the cabin air filter, it is easier than cleaning, or repairing, the heating and cooling system cabin heat exchangers.

But, there is no excuse for bad design, mechanically speaking, when a routine service component is built into a nearly inaccessible location. Component locations could just as easily been swapped during the design phase of the machine (car) to allow, and thus encourage, routine maintenance. Yes, it has to be located downstream of the fresh air/recirculation air air gate, which partly explains its general location. But, Mazda dropped the ball on this one.

I don't buy the notion of an operator manual suppliment stating there is no need to service a filter. If a filter is present, and installed where it is known to block contaminants, it needs service, period.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The so called filter or should I say NET, is to meant to block any objects or leaves and so on, coming through the vents.
Easier to catch them before then get to them in the system.

So where is this filter located and how you remove it to clean it. tia

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The 3 pics in this thread show the process. In normal cars, you simply open the glove box beyond the normal stop, and there it is.
The glove box is in the back right of the driver, air is coming from the front. Am I missing something.:|

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I have to dismantle the whole cabin to get to this net. I don't think it was an Italian engineer who designed this. LOL

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have to dismantle the whole cabin to get to this net. I don't think it was an Italian engineer who designed this. LOL
Definitely an Italian guy, who else would could do it so poorly? :eek:

I'm wondering if Mazda used the same design, anyone know for sure?????

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
The 3 pics in this thread show the process. In normal cars, you simply open the glove box beyond the normal stop, and there it is.
Do you have to be a member of the Miata forum to see the pictures? It's giving me an error like I gotta sign in.

Anyone able to CUT & PASTE the pictures?? :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Do you have to be a member of the Miata forum to see the pictures? It's giving me an error like I gotta sign in.

Anyone able to CUT & PASTE the pictures?? :D
Yes, you have to be a member to see them. Here they are.

Attachments

Reactions: CXXIV and Mike34

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts