535 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Mahalo guys!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think a dust filter on a convertible is pretty funny...

yeah, i get why it's there but still :D

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I think a dust filter on a convertible is pretty funny...

yeah, i get why it's there but still :D
agree!

Just like having a recirculation button on the AC when the top is DOWN! HUH?!?!?!

Yes I do drive with the AC on, when the top is down...but directed at my feet.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
56 Posts
Biggest missing protection is a screen where air comes into the cabin. Yuk, last week killed two mice in garage, then car starts to stink, couple days ago with top down cause of the stink, I turn blower on through lower vents at 70mph and a ? load of mouse droppings. Come out lower passenger side. Did same thing again a little more come out. Still stinks, maybe still some nesting and poop stuck in the system. But if it did not get in there in the first place ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Follow up to my rodent encounter in cabin vent.

If anyone stores there car and live in areas where small rodents can get into the engine compartment I would highly recommend doing this to prevent nests resulting in fowl odors. I ended up vacuuming from the engine access and from removal of the blower in passenger foot well. And yes, there is no filter, just a screen mesh to keep small leaves and such from entering the blower. Even if I did store with the vent closed, upon opening the nest would have dropped onto the so called filter. Opening and closing the vent pushed the poop past the screen/filter. Whom ever put the plastic trim over the vent had the right idea but did not complete it, its worthless without a screen. Glad it was there though otherwise I would have rigged up something terrible.

Upon removal of the plastic cowling and windshield wipers I find an open plastic trim around the vent:

Close up view down the vent, the nest is visible and dead mouse in there somewhere, I vacuumed this all out:

I removed the plastic trim, cleaned and added a Stainless Steel mesh to the underside, hot melt, zip ties and reused the foam weather strip that was existing. Added more foam to the snap ends to prevent the assembly from bowing.

Finished and in place, the way it should have been:

Now replace the cowling and wipers and done, knowing mice cannot get in anymore.

Some have been asking where to get the wire mesh:
McMaster-Carr in USA
9238T22 $7.91 USD (1’x1’ piece)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whom ever put the plastic trim over the vent had the right idea but did not complete it, its worthless without a screen. Glad it was there though otherwise I would have rigged up something terrible.
Excellent write up! What would prevent adding some foam to the inlet and make the cabin fresh air filter to also filter something here? That would leave the built-in factory filter (mesh really) pretty much unnecessary.

Yes, it is a cabriolet but in my end I ride it for 6+ months roof on top.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any procedure for removing cowl, etc. to get at this?
Also, is the cabin air filter on the passenger's side for US vehicles?

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has been giving a diminished air flow when it's set to get fresh air from outside, and normal airflow - much stronger - when set to recirculate. I came here looking for where the air cabin filter was to change it. I've changed it on many MANY cars in the past and it's usually 2 screws under the glove compartment or in some GM cars, a vent fin to remove outside, under the passenger's side windshield wiper.

Never have I seen this kind of abomination.

I'll just use recirculate. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As far as I understand, 124 Spiders and recent MX-5s do not use cabin air filters. There is a mesh where the filter used to go. You can use a vacuum to clean debris over the mesh from the engine side of the air intake, as described a few posts earlier. That's what I did, and I also used the poster's idea of adding a front mesh at the air intake to prevent critters from nesting in there.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Correct. NOT a filter just mesh ti protect the hvac fan

10 min job to have dash panel off, filter out and back in

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
10 min job to have dash panel off, filter out and back in
Correct, and yet were the dealers not looking to charge multiple hours to do it? :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Haha yes! But then it was pulled from the service schedule I think?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts