Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

So I have had the unfortunate issue of my factory brakes squealing since around 1k miles. Ive had it in to the dealer several times and the issue is still occurring. Long story short, Fiat has agreed to replace them. The dealership, however, refuses to cooperate. So, Fiat stated I can purchase what I want around the same price range and they will reimburse.

The Wilwood kit seems to be fairly popular here on the forums. Does that seem to still be the go-to?

·
Registered
480 Posts
brakes squealing is usually caused by contamination on the pads or vibration. brembos usually have a shim which fits on the pistons which is usually pretty effective for quieting the squeal. also the little packets of anti-squeal (disk brake quiet) from the parts stores also work great. these are quick and easy driveway fixes. in the event of contamination, the pads usually cannot be salvaged, if you do opt to replace ceramic pads, although not as sticky do seem to run quieter and don't dust as much as other compounds. the key to a good brake job is cleanliness.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, replacing the entire brakes because of squeal seems like an extreme solution. I would definitely start with doing what rdass says above.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,130 Posts
Turn the rotors and a fresh set of pads and should be good to go....

But indeed at worst fresh set of rotors and fresh pads should do it.

But we do have several Wilwood kit options if you really want a big brake kit. We even have a BREMBO big rotor conversion kit....that gets you new two-piece big rotors but saves your perfectly fine Brembo calipers. Add a fresh set of pads with that and you are good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts