Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lighting is definitely brighter and wider. The brights truly lit up the night. I'll try to get photos to upload next time I'm out in the dark.
Interested in seeing if they have any hotspots and how the cutoff is on them. Most of these type of after market bulbs (LED and the HID retro kits) end up causing glare issues to oncoming traffic due to the projectors in the 124 are designed for halogen lamps.
I noticed that the lamps you linked to are not DOT compliant for US use, so it tends to lead me to believe they may have that issue also.

·
Administrator
1,869 Posts
Interested in seeing if they have any hotspots and how the cutoff is on them. Most of these type of after market bulbs (LED and the HID retro kits) end up causing glare issues to oncoming traffic due to the projectors in the 124 are designed for halogen lamps.
I noticed that the lamps you linked to are not DOT compliant for US use, so it tends to lead me to believe they may have that issue also.
I'm glad someone else is aware of this issue. You can't just stick an LED/HID lamp into a housing designed for a halogen lamp and expect to maintain the same projection/reflection pattern and glare intensity.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I think you'll less glare cause the housing of the halogen light is same housing as the LED, So I figure you should have less glare. Now if you tell in some other Halogen housing, where where you have HIGH and LOW beam together, the housing is rectangular there you'll have more glare for incoming cars. The housing or glass for the halogen spider is round. Today, with the round focus glass it's a more directional compared the old ones where it spread the beam.

·
Administrator
1,869 Posts
I think you'll less glare cause the housing of the halogen light is same housing as the LED, So I figure you should have less glare. Now if you tell in some other Halogen housing, where where you have HIGH and LOW beam together, the housing is rectangular there you'll have more glare for incoming cars. The housing or glass for the halogen spider is round. Today, with the round focus glass it's a more directional compared the old ones where it spread the beam.
Even the OEM housing produces some glare above the "cutoff" line for the purpose of lighting up road signs and other objects above the horizon. Any time you increase output intensity, you also increase the amount of light being produced above that cutoff line. That's where the biggest issue with glare comes from.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I was referring to the rectangle halogen housing compared to the round housing. Yes I agree the more light you put the more the glare. But then again my LED put more light than the Halogen in the no Supreme package. So if you go HID or Led you will produce more glare.

·
Administrator
1,869 Posts
I was referring to the rectangle halogen housing compared to the round housing. Yes I agree the more light you put the more the glare. But then again my LED put more light than the Halogen in the no Supreme package. So if you go HID or Led you will produce more glare.
Yes I know what you were referring to. I'm simply pointing out that even in projector housings, a certain amount of glare is engineered into the projected beam. The issue is worse with much older reflector housings but consideration should still be made for newer housings.

That being said, do you think the calibration for the projector is the same on the supreme package as it is for the base housings? I'm not so sure.

Frankly the difference might be minimal enough that it won't be an issue between halogen and LED, but a whiter temperature (say, 6000k vs 4300k) LED will still produce more of a "sparkle" effect and will exasperate photosensitivity in older folks. HIDs will definitely create an issue.

I did a bunch of research on this topic back in 2012 and wrote up an article to address this topic as it pertains to HIDs in halogen housings: http://xtremerevolution.net/are-hid-kits-legal-or-safe/

According to AAA, “Drivers middle-aged and older are more sensitive to glare than younger drivers because their eyes take longer to adjust to changing light levels. For example, a 55-year old takes eight times longer to recover from glare than a 16-year-old.”

"Glare is proportional to headlamp brightness, however, so increasing headlamp brightness also increases potential glare for oncoming drivers, particularly on curving two lane roads. This problem is worse for older drivers because of their increased intraocular light scattering, glare sensitivity, and photostress recovery time."

Ultimately, LEDs may not pose as much of an issue as HIDs will, but it still deserves a second thought.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
According to AAA, “Drivers middle-aged and older are more sensitive to glare than younger drivers because their eyes take longer to adjust to changing light levels. For example, a 55-year old takes eight times longer to recover from glare than a 16-year-old.”

But then again, middle age see less than younger drivers. <B> and due that they wear glasess the glare is more due to the glasses.

But the LED is much smoother of a light than Halogen or HID.

So question is who do you give priority to driver viewing the road or the other driver getting glared. Personally I rather have a clear view of the road, cause incoming cars that will blind me are very minimal to the road I am viewing while driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I’d post this here as it comes up in searches all the time.

If you’re only doing the dip beam, DRL and the fog light - and you don’t mind it being tight - then full lock and a flat blades screw driver is all you need.

I prefer space and I wanted to do the main beam too...so wheel off and half the wheel arch liner. It’s not a hard job in anyway, just time consuming.

Either way I’ve fitted Osram Nightbreakers in all the places...

RHS of car (as driven) is the Osram’s v LHS which is OEM

DRL, dips, dips with fogs and finally full suite.

Night time dips, mains and mains with fogs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
@HaZ

This are the Hikari:
Something doesn't look right with your passenger side bulb. It might have been clocked at the wrong angle by the dealer, either that or the quality has gone down since I got them (a year ago) and I really hope that isn't the case :(

Here's what they look like on my car. The cutoff should be clean. I'm going to take a pic of Hikari vs stock bulbs and what LED bulbs look like when clocked wrong, when I have time (maybe tomorrow)

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
@MiniDreamCar

Your dealer did not install the passenger side bulb correctly. They inserted the bulb but did not rotate the bulb to lock it into position.

Here's how it's supposed to look:

Here's what it looks like if the bulb is not locked into position. Notice the halo on the right side. That's what yours look like.

Man, this dealership of yours... 80 bucks and they can't even change a bulb properly. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
That’s embarrassing. I’ll tell them to fix it when they’re installing the Record Monza (hope they do THAT correctly).

Thanks a lot for the example, it will be useful. I should get them to install the other lights while they’re at it, can you Amazon link what you believe are the best options for the long beams (original bulb is in this pic) and for the fog lights?

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
That’s embarrassing. I’ll tell them to fix it when they’re installing the Record Monza (hope they do THAT correctly).

Thanks a lot for the example, it will be useful. I should get them to install the other lights while they’re at it, can you Amazon link what you believe are the best options for the long beams (original bulb is in this pic) and for the fog lights?
The highbeam bulbs you have are the best. LEDs won't work for high beam without some hacking.

Fog lamps, I assume you want to match the color of the low beams, so I recommend 6000K color.

https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-2800lm-Illumination-Replacement/dp/B07G5WJ4ZK/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545539165&sr=1-13&keywords=h11+led+fog+light&th=1

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Thanks, ordered them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The highbeam bulbs you have are the best. LEDs won't work for high beam without some hacking.

Fog lamps, I assume you want to match the color of the low beams, so I recommend 6000K color.

https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-2800lm-Illumination-Replacement/dp/B07G5WJ4ZK/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545539165&sr=1-13&keywords=h11+led+fog+light&th=1
Those seem overly large for the fog light position, plus the 'projector' on the end will be blocked by the fog light. It's a shame these places don't show a comparison to a regular bulb, side by side, or at least dimensions.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I hope they fit @HaZ, lol!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I hope they fit @HaZ, lol!
They should. I'm pretty sure bulb dimensions have universal standards. If they don't fit, well... that's what happens when you ask for fog lamp recommendations from someone who doesn't have fog lamps lol

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Unfortunately, either there isn’t a ‘standard’, or most just don’t follow that standard. I’ve not seen many LEDs in a compact size of a standard halogen.

These are the fog light bulbs I used.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Do you have the Amazon link? How much Lumens are they?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts