Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM tires my '18 Abarth came with were Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A carrying a 140 treadwear rating. As I understand it, that rating usually means add two zeros to the number and that's a life expectation. I've managed to get around 23k and counting out of mine, but I'm going to need new rubber soon. I really don't want to have to buy tires every 25k, so I was looking at some with a higher wear rating. I wouldn't think I would get comparable grip out of a 205x45x17 with a 340 rating, but I could be wrong. Some autoX friends suggested that I may need to get to a 225 width to make up for the harder compound to increase longevity.

Folks that have replaced the OEM rubber without swapping sizes, what did you put on and how did you like it?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Firestone firehawk indy 500

you are most welcome

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Also, I think the 140tw rating is really strange for the stock tires, that would be track levels of grip.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The OEMs are not that great grip wise for a 140TW tire.

Myself and a few others are running Continental Extreme Contact Sports which are 340TW - I have them in 215/45 - and they are superior in almost every way to the OEMs.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
There are several tire threads.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
For high wear but still good grip the Indy 500 is great. Also cheap to buy and relatively quiet. Great everyday performance tire. I'm running them on two of my cars.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
To be clear, I'm running Toyo R1R on the 124. I'll be happy if I get even close to 10k miles on those. Wanted something for back roads and track.

I run the Indy 500 on my Mini Cooper S and Volvo C30 which I do take to the mountains but are primarily daily drivers.

Although I've had the Volvo on the track a few times with the Indy 500 and it was fine. Not great but fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The OEM tires my '18 Abarth came with were Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A carrying a 140 treadwear rating. As I understand it, that rating usually means add two zeros to the number and that's a life expectation. I've managed to get around 23k and counting out of mine, but I'm going to need new rubber soon. I really don't want to have to buy tires every 25k, so I was looking at some with a higher wear rating. I wouldn't think I would get comparable grip out of a 205x45x17 with a 340 rating, but I could be wrong. Some autoX friends suggested that I may need to get to a 225 width to make up for the harder compound to increase longevity.

Folks that have replaced the OEM rubber without swapping sizes, what did you put on and how did you like it?

thanks!
I recently fitted 215 45 17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - look and drive far better and highly recommend! cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
PS4s are pretty much the best out there, but they do wear. But for grip and feel not much gets close (you pay for it though)

I've gone t uniroyal rainsports at 215 section and am impressed, but that's because we get so much rain!

The Bridgestones arent as bad as people make out for a factory fit tyre

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I'm still very happy with my Firehawk Indy 500s. Under $100 per tire means I can rip around without worrying about how much a replcement set will cost. Can't speak to their wear life as I don't drive enough, but I've put 2500 miles on them so far. They don't grip very well under 40F but they're great at normal temps and surprisingly good in the rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts