Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to change my oil and filter tomorrow (Monday). Any words of wisdom for removing that horribly located filter? For those that have done this already, what all have you removed to get to the oil filter? (Please skip any "take it to the dealer" suggestions, I'm doing it myself.)

I have the EuroCompulsion V1 air intake tube installed, along with the GFB DV+ diverter valve. Stock or aftermarket, it looks like the air intake tube should be removed.

(I hope the SOB that "designed" this filter configuration spends the rest of his/her days with a nagging guilty conscience, at a minimum... Routine maintenance on any mechanical device should be designed to be user friendly, in an effort to encourage... maintenance! That someone designed this, and then someone else signed off to the design, is just incredible.)

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts
It looks like you should be able to get it out by disconnecting that wire that's in the way and simply sliding the cap out. The filter may be attached to the cap.

I like to loosen the cap all the way, wait a minute, and then let the cap hang on the end of the housing to let any oil on the filter drip out before removing it, so I don't make a mess anywhere (my Cruze has the same design).

I had planned to change my oil and write up a tutorial this weekend, but went fishing instead.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just completed the oil and filter change and now, before writing about my experience, I'm going to eat lunch and contemplate life as a home garage oil change technician. I think the oil change gods are getting back at me for a lifetime of easy, nearly painless oil changes. It took one twisted mind to conceive of this oil filter location and all that is in its way. But I did it.

Tell ya what, XR, I took some photos, too. I'll start something in the tutorial section and you can add right along to it. Between the two of us, we should get plenty of good info out there.

Steve.

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts
I just completed the oil and filter change and now, before writing about my experience, I'm going to eat lunch and contemplate life as a home garage oil change technician. I think the oil change gods are getting back at me for a lifetime of easy, nearly painless oil changes. It took one twisted mind to conceive of this oil filter location and all that is in its way. But I did it.

Tell ya what, XR, I took some photos, too. I'll start something in the tutorial section and you can add right along to it. Between the two of us, we should get plenty of good info out there.

Steve.
That works for me. Be sure to attach the photos to the actual forum post as opposed to hosting externally.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I took my car up the road to a local shop that I use for oil changes ...and talking to the mechanic after, I ask how difficult it was ...was told about taking parts out from underneath the hood, and I am scratching my head in silence ..WHAT??? ...NOW, I understand ....glad that I did not attempt it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That works for me. Be sure to attach the photos to the actual forum post as opposed to hosting externally.
I'll drag and drop right from my computer into my posting. Editing photos now for clariry, hope to have my post made later this afternoon.

Doing this, all the photos appear at the bottom of my post. How do I incorporate the photos into the text itself?

Steve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was able to access the oil filter by removing the intake tube that attaches to the turbo and unclipping the electrical connector on the by-pass valve.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there a general tutorial section? If so, where is it? I can't find it..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Doing this, all the photos appear at the bottom of my post. How do I incorporate the photos into the text itself?

You can right-click the thumbnail, and you should be able to copy the image location.

Then in the editor, click the 'insert image' icon, and paste the copied link. There may be a better way, but that's the way I've done it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to access the oil filter by removing the intake tube that attaches to the turbo and unclipping the electrical connector on the by-pass valve.
Yep, doing these are necessary. Neither the filter cap nor the filter will come out without removing these.

I'm putting together a post for the "124 Spider How-To and DIY" sub-forum, watch for it there, with photos. Should be up later today.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Dang, I guess I'll need to instruct my shop on what to do.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I've posted an admittedly quite long (sorry, I was writing like I was thinking about what I did today for this project, to insure I covered all MY bases), 3-part posting on how I changed the oil in my Spider today. With a bunch of photos, too. I hope you find it all helpful in your adventure with changing your engine oil and filter. Or that it scares the pants off of you and you let the dealer handle it. It's in the How-To/DIY forum of 124spider.org.

http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-124-spider-how-diy/14017-diy-changing-engine-oil-filter-photos.html

Enjoy.

Steve.

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts
Okay, I've posted an admittedly quite long (sorry, I was writing like I was thinking about what I did today for this project, to insure I covered all MY bases), 3-part posting on how I changed the oil in my Spider today. With a bunch of photos, too. I hope you find it all helpful in your adventure with changing your engine oil and filter. Or that it scares the pants off of you and you let the dealer handle it. It's in the How-To/DIY forum of 124spider.org.

http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-124-spider-how-diy/14017-diy-changing-engine-oil-filter-photos.html

Enjoy.

Steve.
Do you mind if I edit/update your post with any revisions I feel necessary, and update the formatting?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you mind if I edit/update your post with any revisions I feel necessary, and update the formatting?
Only seeing this message now (oops), and we've already chatted, but for the benefit of the rest of the class, yes, have at it. And thanks.

Steve.

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts
As an update to this thread, I did my oil change yesterday and did not need to remove my intake hose to get the oil filter out. With the stock intake, this can be done fairly easily buy just pushing down a bit on the coolant hose toward underneath the intake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts